So being fat is a race right now?

Creative use of race politics to prevent that grandstanding idiot mayor shafting small businesses to the benefit of national chains. Very sensible of them, do it myself in their position.

Well- I do agree somehow with their concerns...
Not to mention that even if all supermarkets etc would be banned from selling >0.5 litre bottles of cola- it's still a stupid, idiotic ban. I see no reason why anyone could ban stuff like that. If I wanna buy 5 litres bottle of cola and if cola producer wanna sell me one- that's not the goverment business.

Fat is not race, but its not a crime either.

Perhaps the state should just let people make their own choices. It is the land of the free? Right?

It's a ****ing waste of time anyway. There's no law that stops them from just selling you two normal size drinks.
it's not a point.
government on any level shouldn't try to interfere with market in this way- way that is either smart or equal (to every seller)

Happy to let people make their own choices, if they pay for them. Obese ? Smoker ? Have the credit card handy when you want NHS treatment chum.
don't smokers and chubbers pay taxes founding NHS too?
and of course- you are the one to decide at which level someone should be paying for health services? if i've smoked few fags and ate at mcdonalds last year- will i be eligible for "free" nhs treatment? or should I loose it?
not to mention that it happens in US'n'A, where public health service is rather a joke....
"land of free" my arse...

Self inflicted obesety should be a crime. Even on our little island it costs the tax payer (read me!) a huge amount of money.

Only in the west are the poor fat. Stop moaning and stop eating so much you lazy fat *******!

Happy to let people make their own choices, if they pay for them. Obese ? Smoker ? Have the credit card handy when you want NHS treatment chum.
Government revenue from tobacco tax is already more than treble the cost to the NHS of smokers.
Stop people smoking and the government will have to find an alternate source of revenue, be careful what you wish for!

In the case of the original post its health insurance that is more relevant, I presume premiums are loaded according to lifestyle? Weight, smoking, alcohol intake etc

Even in an entirely-marketised healthcare system like the US's, fat people wind up costing other folk money. It's not as if the insurance companies are going to absorb the additional costs of an increase in obesity-related illness all by themselves, is it? They'll pile it on to the premiums.

Government revenue from tobacco tax is already more than treble the cost to the NHS of smokers.
Stop people smoking and the government will have to find an alternate source of revenue, be careful what you wish for!

Yes, hence the current scurry to ban or work out a practical & equitable method of taxing "e-cigarettes".

Self inflicted obesety should be a crime. Even on our little island it costs the tax payer (read me!) a huge amount of money.

Only in the west are the poor fat. Stop moaning and stop eating so much you lazy fat *******!
Yes, go out for a run, and when your knees give out you'll be told it's self-inflicted and you have to pay.

Just tax sugary shit.

It sorts out the cost to the NHS and the problem of having too many old people cluttering up the place.

Just a response to the "Free Market" comments - [Rant On] I'm happy with that, but it only works if all costs are visible and covered by the individual - and there is NO impact on anyone else. Personally I don't care what people eat, snort, inject into their veins or do with themselves in their spare time. I do object if I have to pay more for health-care and car insurance. I object to the smell of cigarette smoke, the butts in the gutter, they impact on my enjoyment of the environment. I object to the obese because they cost the NHS money, time and effort but pay no more than me - in fact many put themselves out of the productive economy due to their own self-inflicted disability. Its that old balance of rights and responsibilities. At the moment its tilted towars "rights" and too few people are willing to shoulder their responsibilities. [Rant Off]

I think the problem in the States is if, for example, you go to Maccy D's, order your Horse Burger and Ginormous coke and once you've paid, you can keep filling the damn thing up gratis. I believe coffee is the same in some diners, you only pay once.

Imagine what some of the chubsters and pie magnets would look like this side of the pond if that was the case here?

I think the problem in the States is if, for example, you go to Maccy D's, order your Horse Burger and Ginormous coke and once you've paid, you can keep filling the damn thing up gratis. I believe coffee is the same in some diners, you only pay once.

Imagine what some of the chubsters and pie magnets would look like this side of the pond if that was the case here?
That and the portion control. Like, I suppose it sounds obvious but if you order apple pie a la mode.... Remember to tell the waitress it's a slice of pie you want.... Or you'll get the whole fecking pie. Eating in diners/low end restaurants in the States is just ridiculously cheap by comparison to here. I sometimes wonder why anyone cooks there!

Latest Threads