So after military service what foods can you no longer stand?

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Stewed tinned tomatoes

Spam deep fried in batter

Creamed sweetcorn

Tinned beetroot

Fecking Pronutro

Dog Biscuits

Macoroni cheese

Processed cheese

Tinned sausages

Spam fritters

Warm powdered-milk on cereals

Custard, porridge, probably some others but those spring to mind. Does anyone remember sweet and sour pork made with cut up sausages dipped in batter instead of real pork?

I like bacon grill.

Yakisoba
Yakisoba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Messhall version is spaghetti, ground beef, worcestshire sauce
My experience of a US Messhall in Bosnia was that after a month, despite a HUGE variety of "food" on offer, it all tasted the same. Even the Chilli was bland - and worse - sweet. By the 3 month point I was deliberately organising the job to ensure I was on another nations - any other nations - base for meals as often as possible. My favourite was the Norpol place at Doboj - superb seafood. The French/German/Italian base at Mostar was supposed to be so bad my oppo down there got cash money to buy food on the local economy.

Frozen fishpaste sarnies. On one occasion they were so bad that we had a direct order to eat them.

Oh and those Iranian Mars Bars covered in the dust of ages.

My experience of a US Messhall in Bosnia was that after a month, despite a HUGE variety of "food" on offer, it all tasted the same. Even the Chilli was bland - and worse - sweet. By the 3 month point I was deliberately organising the job to ensure I was on another nations - any other nations - base for meals as often as possible. My favourite was the Norpol place at Doboj - superb seafood. The French/German/Italian base at Mostar was supposed to be so bad my oppo down there got cash money to buy food on the local economy.
US army cooks are told not even to add black pepper to mashed potatos (My roomate in barracks years ago was a Bn. Cook). It's left up to the individual to season to taste.

Yakisoba is usually cooked up when the DFAC/Messhall/Chowhall runs out of funds or food. On Another note

Hamburgers which arent consumed are ground up for Creamed Chipped Beef for the Breakfast, and if still not consumed, rinsed out and added to Spaghetti sauce or Chili for lunch/dinner.

And the 1SG used to wonder why we were cooking poached deer in the barracks rooms on sterno stoves.

Corned Beef Hash... Never again..

Anything produced by the Norwegian army; especially the Noggie Sushi

Baked beans - warm, the smell turns my stomach. But cold I can eat them straight out of the tin.
Ha! I must show this to Mrs Rickshaw to prove I'm not the only one with this prediliction.

Frozen Bread

Rhubarb ******* Crumble

3/1 water/milk with my cereal

Another vote for corned beef gash here.

Eating it cold in the rain at night in ******* Sennybridge won't do much to endear the nicest of meals to your palate I suppose!

Bacon and fried eggs were very nearly ruined for me as well, as they're delicious at home but in a cookhouse they're normally undercooked yet swimming in grease. But then I realised what was happening and adjusted my breakfast choices accordingly when I'm the cookhouse.

All that said and despite all the foods that are going to be mentioned on this thread - we all know them egg-ops can pull some damned nice scoff out the bag when it's needed most...

Latest Threads