Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A new review has been created: Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag

Read the full review here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I've got this one, but it came with a centre zip as per the "SF bag system" or whatever it was called, the one with the softee 10 which the merlin zips into.

I agree that it's too thin as a main bag. I know many people who bought one rather than use the issue bedding. A duvet is much cheaper...!

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Cheers for that, I always admire the optimism of people who turn up with these!

4. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've got the SF Bag variant as well and have used it a number of times. If used for what it is designed for (in summer only), it is worthwhile (albeit if the weather plays a joker it can be a bit cheeky). Throw a bivvy bag over it as well and it is fine.

When you try the late spring/early autumn option, an extra layer or a liner makes a big difference at not much weight penalty (granted that the weather card is more of a factor here) but anything beyond that is outside the bag's capabilities.

The fact that I'm larger of waistband than I would care to be may have affected my opinion but this is a good sack for what it is designed to do.