Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

SNPland

Political Comedy aside for the day, and currently unfolding on Twitter Robin McAlpine, he of the Common Weal, has been on the radio berating all and sundry for not paying a living wage.

What gets me is the narrowness of their vision. To reach the same income as the "Living Wage" would pay without increasing the wage actually paid requires someone on the minimum wage effectively not paying any tax at all. i.e. Bang the Income Tax Allowance up.

Do they include that suggestion in their campaign ?
Such a line makes it harder for companies to reject the living wage idea as it's not just their pockets being hit

What gets me is the narrowness of their vision. To reach the same income as the "Living Wage" would pay without increasing the wage actually paid requires someone on the minimum wage effectively not paying any tax at all. i.e. Bang the Income Tax Allowance up.

Do they include that suggestion in their campaign ?
Such a line makes it harder for companies to reject the living wage idea as it's not just their pockets being hit

I have long nurtured a belief that the benefits and taxation systems should work together, such that everyone is on benefits, but the majority pay them back through extra tax. There would be a series of thresholds, below which incrementally, tax and benefit repayments would not be paid.

Why do you insist on spelling Labour without the 'u'? Beginning to grate a bit!
Blair, Brown, Mandy the Eds all lovers of bright shiny mostly lousy liberal American ideas. The U seems so Old Labour and they have not been that party since the 90s. If there's a descendant of protectionist Labour of the 70s its bloody minded Brussels loathing UKIP.

Blair, Brown, Mandy the Eds all lovers of bright shiny mostly lousy liberal American ideas. The U seems so Old Labour and they have not been that party since the 90s. If there's a descendant of protectionist Labour of the 70s its bloody minded Brussels loathing UKIP.

You really forgot how to spell properly, didn't you?

I have long nurtured a belief that the benefits and taxation systems should work together, such that everyone is on benefits, but the majority pay them back through extra tax. There would be a series of thresholds, below which incrementally, tax and benefit repayments would not be paid.

Waste of money. You'd end up with more incompetent admin bods f**king up everything. The whole working tax credits thing is a disaster area. Only the truly low paid should be getting anything extra, everyone else should be getting lots of tax allowances so they keep money, not go thro the whole charade of having taxes taken off their wages, only to be "gifted" some of that tax back as if Government is doing them a favour at great cost and lots of public sector non jobs.

The major downside of working tax credits is that the system has supressed wages as employers have worked out that they can pay crap as the workers can get their wages topped up to a living level.

Interestingly, although the Aussies spell labour the same as we do (and colour of course), their political party is called Labor. http://www.alp.org.au/

Reason for the spelling is given on their Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Labor_Party

Now, back to your scheduled topic . . .
The ALP adopted the formal name "Australian Labour Party" in 1908, but changed the spelling to "Labor" in 1912. While it is standard practice in Australian English both today and at the time to spell the word "labour" with a "u", the party was influenced by the United States labor movement, and a prominent figure in the early history of the party, the American-born King O'Malley, was successful in having the spelling "modernised".[10]

My bold. It's in quotes and therefore presumably as originally written.

No irony there at all though. No indeedy.

Seriously? :???:
Yes really, the Old Labour base mostly hated Brussels and campaigned hard against joining the EU when most Tories were giddy enthusiasts. They pretty much had it in for all things foreign especially competition with foreign labour at home or abroad. It was a large part of their appeal, while the Tories were the bosses party. I suspect if you scratch a lot of UKIP voters you'll find they voted Labour before they voted for Maggie.

The contest for Labour leader in Scotland now on with nominations closed. The vote is be electoral college, one third of voted to MPs/MSPs, one third Labour Party members, one third Unions and other affiliates.

Murphy picking up the MP/MSP votes, Findlay picking up the Union votes, Boyack as an also ran.

Ed Milliband got in down south through the Union vote and look how well that has gone.

It will be interesting but Murphy, who seems to be backed by the BBC, is not a shoe-in for the job.

Probably too late to help out much at the GE next year but if they end up with a lightweight then they can forget the Scottish elections in 2016 as well.

The contest for Labour leader in Scotland now on with nominations closed. The vote is be electoral college, one third of voted to MPs/MSPs, one third Labour Party members, one third Unions and other affiliates.

Murphy picking up the MP/MSP votes, Findlay picking up the Union votes, Boyack as an also ran.

Ed Milliband got in down south through the Union vote and look how well that has gone.

It will be interesting but Murphy, who seems to be backed by the BBC, is not a shoe-in for the job.

Probably too late to help out much at the GE next year but if they end up with a lightweight then they can forget the Scottish elections in 2016 as well.

Jim Murphy is also backed by the US Republicans...
IMG_0084.JPG