SNP - no mandate off the people of Scotland

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jockster, May 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This mainly is a question to union members from north of the border.
    Just done a bit of number cunching from the election results and less than one in ten people of Scotland voted for the SNP, question is with such a low return why do they seem to get such a say in, not only Scotland, but within the union as well. :?
  2. probably cuz they're to the left?
  3. To the left of what, the BNP???
  4. Firstly, even (in the unlikely event) were the SNP to win every seat in Scotland, they still could not form a Government, in Westminster.

Secondly, as Scotland has it's own Parliament, and as that Parliament was not holding elections at this time, there wasn't really much point in Scots folks schleping to the polls, to elect someone to a body, which has been in many ways replaced.

The reason that they (the SNP) have a say in the Union, is that they are the elected Government of one of the members of the Union.
  5. Everybody bar the Greens, really.

The SNP have a voice because of their marginal success in the 2007 Scottish election - they have never done as well as that in Westminster elections. Labour dominate not just because of the 40+% of the vote they get but because of the concentration in the Central Belt.

I was quite surprised how badly the SNP did - no new MPs. And, of course, the Tories getting more than a third of Labour's vote but a fortieth of the seats.

Why a voice in the union? Same as the shinners. Because they are agin it.
  6. The tories got less and they are going to have a huge say in what happens north of the border.
  7. More votes than lib dems yet half the seats? FPTP is a shite system, need a better form of PR.
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Scotland is in for a really hard time over the next parliament.

The Scottish voters told the Tories to FO at the high port, in no uncertain terms. So when government contracts come up, how many will sit north of the border. Few, as the Tories just have to look at what they would gain in Scotland by keeping them sweet - feck all. Don't blame them.

In fact the Tories, if they were not a Unionist party, could look at the political map and decide to let Scotlnd have its freedom and see it as a burden off the Tories back. It would get rid of 58 votes they don't control. They could then look at the other 'states' of Wales and N Ireland and perhaps come to the same conclusion, although they would probably retain Wales as a sop to their idea of 'owning' another country.

If the Tories did that then Labour would never again be electable and the Tories would be in power for a very long time indeed.

As it is, if Cameron gets in he will be PM of England - the only country which gave him a mandate to govern.
  9. Fascinating opinion, I consider myself left wing and would rather pull all my teeth out with a pair of pliers than vote for the SNP. Nationalism is not a left wing concept...
  10. Didn't the Red Clydesiders want independence?
  11. Auld-Yin

Seanie, I agree that nationalism is not necessarily a left wing concept, in fact it is often rather more right wing :) However, if you look at the policies of the SNP, other than nationalism then you will find they are indeed a left wing leaning organisation.

You might think that if SNP was a one issue i.e. nationalism, party then they would try to appeal to all side of the political spectrum, but it seems they remain heavily to the left wing - an area currently occupied by Labour in Scotland :D
  12. Auld-Yin

No - they wanted to take over England!!!!!! :D
  13. The SNP do have a mandate from the people of Scotland because they are the largest single party in the Scottish Parliament. Until the next election to Holyrood, they will continue to have that mandate.

Westminster elections are not Holyrood elections and the voting patterns reflect this.
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I agree. It really should be viewed as a standalone concept as it has support from all parts of the political spectrum.

As to the result, allthough the SNP increased its share of the vote, it is no surprise to me that Labour held up its own for the National election. Scots aren't dumb and if there is a chance to be in power (labour) why on earth would you vote for anyone else?

It will be interesting to watch the next round of Scottish elections. It'll be at that point we will see if the SNP has a mandate.
  15. What really, really pisses me off is that (as someone else said) the Central Belt vote Labour.

The reason they vote Labour?

"Because ma' faither voted Labour and his faither afore him"

No doubt it's the same in the South;

"Because pater voted Tory and his pater before him"