SNP member chops off - plays class card.

www.hmforces.co.uk/news/articles/17...he-number-of-new-recruits-rockets-in-scotland

So, the Jocks are 25% up in recruitment figures from this time last year. The recession is hitting everyone hard, but why play the class card? In hard times young men have always looked at the Army (other services are available, but no-where as good). We are all British, like it or lump it, but Scotland (IMO) won't be leaving the Union anytime soon. :pissedoff:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Misleading thread title. One MSP, notorious for running off at the mouth, makes a crass remark. SNP Minister disagrees entirely.

Sixty said:
Misleading thread title. One MSP, notorious for running off at the mouth, makes a crass remark. SNP Minister disagrees entirely.
No matter who, no matter what party, the whips should be keeping members in line. Salmond should have had the balls to make it a non storey.

As has been said: 'Scotland' and 'Class' in the same purlieu!

'Class' in Scotland is so obvious in so many ways, that any politician (such as the oaf running UK) attempting to acquire votes by playing the 'class card' will be pissing into his sporran.

Scotland's 'class' does not need describing or detailing by a Welshman, but neither does it constitute part of the authentic political 'debate'.

Scotland IS 'class', but there are unthinking and sadly disadvantaged elements of the franchised population who will vote politically for an outdated model of political staleness and inefficiency - I mean that they will vote for the the Labour Party!

Vote SNP you 'Jocks', but think how your vote will affect the outcome in your constituency.

PS: I apologise for interferring in another country's politics - but my country is interferred with by 'Sweaties':

BLAIR; BROWN; DARLING and practically every awful twat currently running the 'effing country!!!!!!

'London labour'?

Time to call time on this farce, and scrap these regional assemblies... Back to the banks of the Thames.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:
'London labour'?

Time to call time on this farce, and scrap these regional assemblies... Back to the banks of the Thames.
Yeah! Sod these referendums where a majority vote for something! Dismantle the parliament because some blokes on the internet disagree with the democratic process!

Jesus wept.

Sixty said:
chocolate_frog said:
'London labour'?

Yeah! Sod these referendums where a majority vote for something! Dismantle the parliament because some blokes on the internet disagree with the democratic process!

Jesus wept.
Not at all, the Scottish people would still be represented, and there could be a purely Scottish group within the MPs..... they just wouldn't be housed in a building that went 4 times over budget (nearly £500 million), and ten times over initial plans to use an existing building.

Nor would it cost to have, essentially two places of work for the MPs.

Or perhaps in the interests of fairness we should build the English Assembly for another £500 million.

Maybe we could really devolve, with a Cornwall Assembly also, maybe Yorkshire, Lancastrian and a Mercian Assemblies? Really devolve in the truest sense of the word.

Just actually read the original story - it's Christine Grahame FFS, a real waste of skin even by the standard of Wee Eck's Tartan Tw@s:

From Wiki

Grahame is a supporter of Republic, a campaign to replace the British Monarchy with an elected head of state.[2] In July 2009, Grahame snubbed Her Majesty the Queen by checking her e-mails rather than attending the royal speech at Holyrood to mark the tenth anniversary of Scottish devolution. The move drew critical comment from bloggers as well as from other MSPs, with Lord Foulkes remarking "She has a particular axe to grind here. [...] this is boring for Scotland — she just goes on and on." Former Presiding Officer George Reid described the absence as "sad".

However, on the BBC Radio Good Morning Scotland programme, she said: "I'm earning and working for my constituents far more than if I sit hypocritically in the chamber watching a monarch for an institution I do not support." [3]

C_C

Just actually read the original story - it's Christine Grahame FFS, a real waste of skin even by the standard of Wee Eck's Tartan Tw@s:

Quick check shows she deserves impaled by a halberd.

Better still send her to Dreghorn, let all the wives of 1 Scots ask her about why she should leave with her skin intact.
The Lancastria sinking, 17th June 1940
Date of Lodging: 10 May 2005
Short Title: The Lancastria
S2M-02792 Christine Grahame (South of Scotland) (SNP):

That the Parliament notes that 17 June 2005 will mark the 65th anniversary of the sinking of the former Clyde-built liner and requisitioned troopship, Lancastria, which was sunk by enemy action whilst loading the remainder of the British Expeditionary Force from France in 1940, five miles off the French coastal town of St Nazaire; notes that the sinking is the worst naval disaster in British maritime history, claiming the lives of more than 4,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and civilian refugees, a grim death toll greater than the combined
loss of life in the Titanic and Lusitania disasters; notes and commends the efforts of the local French people during the rescue operation in assisting the survivors and tending to the burial of the hundreds of victims washed ashore in the months following the sinking; pays tribute to both the survivors and victims of the disaster, men, women and children who have been forgotten by history; notes the D-Notice banning news of the sinking ordered by Winston Churchill which effectively remains in place in the United Kingdom to this day; notes that the Shetland-born captain of Lancastria, Captain Sharp, was instructed by Royal Navy officers under orders from the Admiralty in London to load as many people as possible “without regard to the limits set down under international law”, loading some estimated 9,000 people on a ship which normally would carry just over 2,000 and that this was a significant contributory factor in the scale of the disaster; urges the Scottish Executive to make representations to Her Majesty’s Government to recognise formally the sacrifice made by both victims and survivors of the Lancastria by commissioning a special Lancastria medal, following the precedent set by the Dunkirk medal, to be awarded whether in vivo or posthumously to all of the victims of the disaster, and asserts that this would in some small way recognise what has become a forgotten sacrifice and would offer the relatives of victims the peace of mind that their loved ones had not died in vain and were being duly, if belatedly, remembered.

Christine Grahame (South of Scotland) (SNP): I welcome the opportunity for Parliament to recognise the sacrifice made by men and women in the forces and as civilians from many countries many with their lives which delivered democracy to western Europe, although, regrettably, not yet world peace, as we note when we scan the international headlines and see wars around us. That sombre thought becomes even more sombre when one counts the losses in world war two. The loss of 57,000 Scots accounted for 20 per cent of all UK deaths double our share of the population. Russia lost 29 million, 17 million of whom were non-combatants; China lost 3 million; 6 million Jews and 5.5 million Germans were lost; and Poland lost more than 6 million. However, all those figures are only estimates.

How timelessly true the following quotes are. The Greek philosopher Plato, who died in 347BC, said:
"Only the dead ever see an end to war."
Hiram Johnson, governor of California, said in 1910:
"The first casualty when war comes is truth."
Mao Tse-tung, the chairman of the Chinese communist party, who died in 1976, said:
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
Perhaps the most apposite and oft-quoted line was from another European empire builder, Napoleon Bonaparte, emperor of France, who died in 1821. He said:
"On ne fait pas d'omelette sans casser des oeufs."

Figures in the millions can mask not only the myriad individual lives lost but the tales of those who survived, so I will tell the story of two men. One was my father's friend, Jock Hunter from Hawick, who volunteered the day on which war was declared and joined the King's Own Scottish Borderers. Jock, whose war ended at Arnheim in the month and year of my birth I was my father's first child and was born in September 1944 was shot down as the parachutes unfurled in the sky. Walter Hirst, my assistant's grandfather, was a survivor of the Lancastria, which sank on 17 June 1940 with an estimated loss of life of 4000 the worst naval disaster in British history. This is his story:

"I became an enlisted man in December 1939 before being sent to Clacton-on-Sea for basic training with the Royal Engineers. We were billeted in chalet accommodation at the Butlins Holiday camp in Clacton. The winter was bitter. We 663 had two weeks basic training with 1914 armaments before embarkation to France on or around the 26th of January 1940. Prior to leaving we were described by an officer in the Duke of Wellington's regiment as 'civilians in soldiers clothing'.

Once in France we were quickly put to work on a variety of construction jobs at an airfield just outside Nantes. Around the middle of June we were assembled and informed of the pending embarkation to England. It was a long, hot march. Eventually we reached St Nazaire around the 15th/16th of June amidst an air raid alert. That night I spent sheltering under a stairway with another member of 663 whom I was teamed with, Charles 'Chick' Napier. Myself and Chick were from the same county in Scotland, Coupar Angus.

On the 17th we boarded the Lancastria late in the afternoon. We immediately grabbed a couple of life jackets which I thought would make ideal pillows. We were ordered below and shortly after witnessed, through a porthole, the Oronsay being hit. Both myself and another Sapper decided then that it would be healthier if we were topside and so we did against orders.

Soon after the Lancastria was hit. It was a massive explosion. There was total panic and chaos. Soldiers, including some from 663, positioned at either end of the ship began to open up with Bren guns at the circling enemy craft. I managed to get myself into a lifeboat but as it was being lowered the ropes on one end became jammed in the davit. A panicked sailor suddenly jumped up and started to hack away at the ropes with a knife. Myself and others yelled at him to stop, but immediately we were all thrown into the sea.

Although I had a lifejacket on, I still had my doubts about being in the water as I was a non-swimmer. We were all saturated with oil. I kicked off from the side of the Lancastria on my back. I kept thinking, 'Got to escape the suction of the ship.'

The Lancastria continued to roll over to port. Hundreds of men were now clinging to the upturned hull. Some of those standing on the turning hull began singing 'Roll out the Barrel'. Then one tenor voice began with 'There'll always be an England'.

During this time the enemy continued to strafe the men on the ship and in the water. They also began dropping incendiaries in an attempt to light the leaking oil. At some point a seemingly crazed man tried to remove my life jacket, but I manage to fight him off. Even with the jacket on I stayed as still as possible in the water hoping this would improve my buoyancy. I believe I was in the water for around two hours. At one point a large dog swam by. I briefly held onto it because it was swimming away from the ship and I thought it would take me with it. I believe it had belonged to some refugee Belgian children who had been on the boat. They did not survive.

Eventually I was picked up. We finally arrived in Plymouth the next day. We were forbidden under 'King's Regulations' to mention any word of the Lancastria."

Some of the relatives of the people who did not survive did not hear anything for nearly 18 months until they received a War Office telegram that stated that their husband, father or son was lost in action in France, presumed dead aboard HMT Lancastria.

Walter Hirst, who survived what happened to the Lancastria, had his own long history; Jock Hunter was survived by my father, who is now 90 and has family, friends and his own long history. However, Jock and the millions of others who became part of that awful history had none of their own. Some people once thought that the first world war was the war to end all wars. As we remember the dead and the injured and VE day, we should always remember and regret all those who continue to die in wars and because of wars now, tomorrow and the day after, in Iraq, Sudan, Afghanistan and on and on.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose or, as the Erskine poster on the way into the chamber today says:
"War isn't a thing of the past".
15:17

These are the comments made by other MSPs after Christine spoke:
- Chris Balance of the Greens who said "I would like particularly to congratulate Christine Grahame on what I thought was the most moving speech that I have heard in this chamber."

Helen Eadie (Labour) "The loss of 27 million Russians and of many others who died throughout the world whose deaths Christine Grahame enumerated in her very special speech was also devastating."

Mary Scanlon (Conservative) "I commend Christine Grahame for her very moving account".
and Phil Gallie's (Conservative) "Christine Grahame referred to civilians dressed in soldier's clothing. That was our army in 1939. Those individuals were plucked out of their families and thrust into the front line, not to return home if they were lucky enough to return home for five years or more."

Andrew Ardbuckle of the Lib Dems "The speeches that we have heard today have included many personal and family memories of war. None was more striking than that of Christine Grahame, whose strong, simple language scraped my heart and the hearts of many others who heard her."

Christine's motion has the support of the following members: Roseanna Cunningham, Carolyn Leckie, Campbell Martin, Chris Ballance, Rob Gibson, Fiona Hyslop, Mr Adam Ingram, Rosie Kane, Mr Michael Matheson, Alex Neil, Eleanor Scott, Stewart Stevenson, Jean Turner, Tommy Sheridan
I can respect pacifists, I cannot respect this creature.

That quote was just other peoples experiences and quotes, that she has hijacked.

these snp tw@ts up here are generally about as popular as labour are down south Salmon wants to hold the referendum on independance but as we all know the other parties here wont allow the vote Nobody in their right mind want seperation we cant afford it we generally as a country dont want it
Lady beagle, before she was made redundant and got the job in the ass slapping supermarket, worked in a call centre and the snp contracted them to phone round to get opinions from the public question 1 will you vote for snp in the next election. q.2 will you vote for independence
appart from the usual screaming down the phone at her for phoning at tea-time , the answer to both questions was yes 25% no 60% the rest told her to mind her own fecking busines
anyway , who the feck want bi lingual road signs they cost twice as much to make, ask the welsh!, mandatory gaelic taught in schools,what subjects had to be dropped to allow time for that? and all the other irrelevent sh1t they keep voting for .
think its time for a warm milk and bed before matron gets upset with all the ranting and raving
Personally the only thing they did right was to drop the tolls on the tay and forth bridges you can now almost get across them without queueing and it was quite a heafty charge if you lived in fife but worked the other side

By the way, sorry I know I ranted a bit off thread. she really is a useless asswipe like all the rest

Oh, I don't know. Learning Scottish isn't that bad a thing. Cultural heritage and history and stuff.

Education probably needs a bit of a rehash throught out the UK, and a bit of interest lessons or embedded hobbies/sport etc wouldn't do any harm.

flieslikeabeagle said:
these snp tw@ts up here are generally about as popular as labour are down south Salmon wants to hold the referendum on independance but as we all know the other parties here wont allow the vote Nobody in their right mind want seperation we cant afford it we generally as a country dont want it
Salmond wants a referendum, he knows that perhaps now is not the best time, but must do so within his first term, as not to do so will play into the hands of the other parties who will say he is "feart".
So he tries to hold one and the other parties will combine to block it, as they actually ARE feart, and also they are told to do so by their London masters, as a UK without Scotland will be a vastly less powerful beast, and will be internationally marginalised. Stripped of it's UN Veto, seats at the top table will soon disappear.

We CAN afford it, and we should do it. The sooner the better.

afcass said:
flieslikeabeagle said:
Salmond wants a referendum, he knows that perhaps now is not the best time, but must do so within his first term, as not to do so will play into the hands of the other parties who will say he is "feart".
So he tries to hold one and the other parties will combine to block it, as they actually ARE feart, and also they are told to do so by their London masters, as a UK without Scotland will be a vastly less powerful beast, and will be internationally marginalised. Stripped of it's UN Veto, seats at the top table will soon disappear.

We CAN afford it, and we should do it. The sooner the better.
You want to be live in a maginalised country with less power? Scotland would also lose standing if it split from the UK. Surely the sum is greater than the parts in this instance?

What does Scotland really get out of being independant?