• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SNP draws up plans for an independent Scottish armed forces...

Not what I was expecting to find when I was reading this article on Scotland's future plans after independence.

Bye, bye England? SNP plans closer Scandinavian ties after independence - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Is it just Salmond up to his usual (and sometimes, I think, a touch fanciful) promise making or could/ would an independent Scotland actually be able to claim elements of the British army as their own as well as taking ownership of Naval/ RAF bases? Apparently they "expect to be given" the Royal Regiment of Scotland. Sounds a bit grand to me but there are far more advanced minds than me on arrse so perhaps someone could shed some light on this. Can Salmond simply demand to be given elements of the British armed forces?

Every soldier swore their oath to the Queen, not to that tub of lard. They'd have to be released from their oath, and then have to swear a new one. This is ignoring the logistics involved with procuring uniforms, vehicles, weapons, barracks, and all the other minutiae that the SNP will have ignored.

Or was this just another nationalist soundbite?

Sent from my Desire HD

He can have all the regimental names he likes, how many people will want to serve in such a small outfit in which a career is impossible would remain to be seen.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They can have the Jock regiments, minus of course all the equipment which HM owns and all the Fijians serving within, which she also owns.

So basically they will have an unequipped handfull of pissed up Glaswegians.

Saves making good Englishmen redundant in the next tranche of cutbacks.

They can have the Welsh if they want too.

it'd be easy enough to do with equipment etc as they would be entitled to a % but any manpower would need to volunteer, similar to partition.

i think they'd rather have the £ (or $ or whatever they'd be using) as they'd probably end up with a bigger armed forces than they required.

Not what I was expecting to find when I was reading this article on Scotland's future plans after independence.

Bye, bye England? SNP plans closer Scandinavian ties after independence - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Is it just Salmond up to his usual (and sometimes, I think, a touch fanciful) promise making or could/ would an independent Scotland actually be able to claim elements of the British army as their own as well as taking ownership of Naval/ RAF bases? Apparently they "expect to be given" the Royal Regiment of Scotland. Sounds a bit grand to me but there are far more advanced minds than me on arrse so perhaps someone could shed some light on this. Can Salmond simply demand to be given elements of the British armed forces?
An excellent idea to forge closer ties with the Scandinavian Nations. We could see joint Scots - Norwegian/Swedish/Danish ships crews going a-Viking to England and the rest of Europe. Lots of raping, pillaging and burning(vital to remember the correct order:oops:)and the Church of Scotland reformed as the Church of Thor.:viking:

Back in the real world; Salmond's a politician. I'm surprised he has'nt promised a cure for Cancer, unlimited free alcohol, Scotland winning both the Rugby and Wendyball World Cups and the Roslin Institute turned over to producing cloned love-slaves of Scarlett Johansson and Brad Pitt...:roll:

They can have the Jock regiments, minus of course all the equipment which HM owns and all the Fijians serving within, which she also owns.

So basically they will have an unequipped handfull of pissed up Glaswegians.

Saves making good Englishmen redundant in the next tranche of cutbacks.
Don't forget all their Surrey Highlander officers.

Any Scot who wants a serious military career won't join a tiny defence force, their only real option is our armed forces or the legion.

Don't forget all their Surrey Highlander officers.

Any Scot who wants a serious military career won't join a tiny defence force, their only real option is our armed forces or the legion.
Full of miserable old ex RAOC blanket stacking ***** who have a hissy fit if you sit in "thier" seat. Id stick with the British Army if i were a thrusting young Jock warrior

E

EScotia

Its actually about time the SNP started looking at the mechanics of full independence, particularly Defence where previously they've been very elusive when asked.

I think they really need to look at the structure of their armed forces after they've looked at where they locate them though as current plans may scupper their air-force and Faslane may not be equipped to manage or house a surface fleet. The article doesn't mention logistics, artillery etc etc so I'm not sure if they understand what it is they're taking on!

I still find it difficult to understand how a fully independent Scotland will support its civil service, NHS or provide for the sick, lame and un-employed as the taxes raised by a Scottish population are unlikely to cover its outgoings!

He was on about bringing back the regiments of old last time I had the misfortune to have to attend an event where he was a speaker.

The former commander of the Gordons, Sir Peter Graham took him to task on the issue of defence, NATO obligations and the very subject of "Do you believe soldiers, sailors and airmen currently serving Her Majesty the Queen would wish to fight on behalf of a Scottish Government?"

In a typical response he totally by passed the question and tried to move on. Sir Peter politly took him by the shoulder and quietly said", "I thought not".

Nuff said.

Interesting question re the Royal Regiment of Scotland. Why would Scotland "inherit" it? When Ireland gained independance the southern Irish regiments were disbanded and Ireland built its own army.

Surely if Scotland wants to leave the country called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland it would want to leave the British Army behind and build and pay for its own.

So he's not using ireland anymore as an example of how well scotland could do then?

Scotland could be independent, the question is tough; what's the point? It would cost a considerable amount of money, time and effort. For what exactly? Principle?

I love the English attitude on Independence; one minute theyre giving it "**** off, we dont need you or want you.You cost us too much." the next its "Have you thought this through,how will you pay for this? How will you pay for that? You havent considered the other. You'll never make it on your own."
You can see and hear the panic in them as they realise that this whole issue is more than just a "Wee Jock Poo Plop McJock" drunken idea.

Rest assured, Ive got no time for Salmond but he is the cleverest and most dynamic politican in the UK at the moment. He'll have it all planned out, or he'll use stalling tactics (see referendum vote) until he does get it planned out and he gets the outcome he wants.

Meanwhile,in and around the great think-tanks and village green pubs of Middle England they are refusing to treat this seriously and the good ship "Independence" is getting ready to set sail.

Who will they blame when it does? The Boy David? St Tony of Blair? Gordon Raith Rovers?

Latest Threads