SNP a threat to the Union?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Commissar, May 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As we have seen the Scottish Nationalists now have an overall majority in the Scottish Parliament, in spite of the best efforts of the people who set up the Proportional electoral system in that country.

Now that they have a mandate for a referendum on Independence, which they intend to hold near the end of their parliament, should they be allowed to hold it on such a massive constitutional matter considering the recent AV election's outcome was influenced, mainly, by a massive smear campaign. Can we trust the future of the Union to a general public who are so easily swayed by cheap political tactics?

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Let them have independance
    Remove the right of Scottish MP's to sit and vote at Westminster
    Remove the subsides and let them have their North Sea Oil cash
    They'll be back when they're on their knees
    Only two people genuinly want independance Salmon and Sir Sean Connery and he's in the Bahamas 11 months of the year
    The rest are only voting for them because he's promising everything for free

• Like Like x 8
  3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I'm a Jock and proud of it, but these a**holes who want Independence are dreamers. Scotland is a an agroeconomic country that relies on tourism, call centres and the production of Whisky we're not exactly awash in cash. Just look at the %age of workers in the Public Sector who actually produce nothing. All those people shouting "It's our oil" etc. still live in a world of Skye terriers, shortbread tins, bagpipes and other made up romantic shoite. I went home a month back and was disgusted by the pasty faced, skiiving scum even in the middle of Edinburgh.

Yes, Scotland has lots to offer, but English baiting isn't a good move. Dear Mr. Salmond 1) Wake up to reality and 2) get some plastic surgery you ugly cnut.

Long may the Union and our differences and common strengths continue.

NURSE!!!

P.S. No doubt I'll get hell from the Auld Yin, but I can still claim I'm just out of hospital!

• Like Like x 6
  4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Do they? They can hold a referendum, but I don't really rate their chances of gaining enough support for full on independence.*

May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the "Holyrood Elections" Thread, where we have already commented on the subject, it may allow you to articlulate more clearly the issues surrounding the call for independence.

* Bloody knew this question would crop up sooner or later following the election.

5. I'd love to think that if the sweaties got their independence we'd just cut them loose and wait for them to come crawling back when their Soviet economy goes tits up. Sadly I reckon the Barnett formula would just be replaced with massive 'International Aid' to independent Scotland so we'd still be propping them up long into the future.

6. With the steady progression to an EU federal state, the Union is finished anyway.

In the unforseeable case that a change of the political class results in UK leaving the EU, then Scotland is too strategically important to have as an EU border (not to say the loss of territorial waters surrounding the UK) and so devolution will have to be unwound.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not at all mate.

As Rampant has pointed out this is being discussed on other threads. Scotland yesterday voted for the SNP to be the major, and as it turned out, ruling party in Scotland because they thought that Salmond has done well for Scotland and that SNP are a much better bet than Labour.

If a referendum for independence was held now then I doubt if it would be a FOR decision - many voted SNP, not that many want full independence. Now federalism within a United Lingdom - that is a different matter :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Just looking at the gloom and doom thats happening in Moray because Kinloss is closing and no-one knows whats happening to Lossiemouth, I'd dread to think what would happen in Scotland went for independence.
    Unfortunately though, there are still too many mongs in this country that believe Braveheart was true and William Wallace did actually look like Mel Gibson.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don't forget the bill for bailing out the Scottish Banks, which Alex Salmond worked in before becoming a politician.

10. that would be the Scottish International banks if you dont mind :)

11. Hadrian had the right idea.

12. The truth:
    [​IMG]

The fiction:
    [​IMG]

Just reminds me of what really happened on his death:

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I read somewhere that the banks had recently paid more in tax (bonuses etc) than the whole of Scotland put together
    Anyone any info on this? (I'm in work so limited to what I can search)

14. Surprising enough a lot of the Legions to subjugate these lands were locally recruited.

15. I'd be a border guard. On the north side.

• Like Like x 3