Snowflakes....

Perhaps this is stereotyping but perhaps though as with Pride etc. the image of gay is one of high camp whereas in reality I expect that gay men and women by and large go around looking much like their hetero counterparts. Having the camp version put up front and centre all the time must be annoying for them.
Bro_mush #2 is gay and growing up in the 70s' and 80s' caused him no end of pain and suffering because the only public perception of gay men at the time were the camp, flamboyant and often downright puerile. Such as Larry Grayson, Danny La Rue, and Julian Clary. Growing up in a working class Liverpool household meant that all the comments he heard when gay men were shown on TV were derogatory and pretty hostile. He longed for a 'straight acting' gay role model so he could dentify and perhaps have the courage to come out. In the end it wasn't until the 90s' when the likes of Ian McKellen were more in the public eye that he came out.

I can count 9 gays, 3 lesbians and 1 bisexual amongst my friends and family (and that's just the ones I'm aware of). None of them are camp at all.

In our local town there was a diner/cafe run by a lesbian couple, the place was clean and the food was good and nobody really gave a damn that the owners were lesbian, the place was always busy. Then the couple who owned the place started bringing politics into things.

First thing was they put up the rainbow flag outside the diner, then they put gay rights posters all over the walls of the diner and next came the gay rights pamphlets on the counter. Like I said, folks didn't care the owners were lesbian but the in your face thing drove customers away. Within a year the place closed down because folks stopped using the place.

There are times when homosexuals are their own worst enemy.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope the Police are moments away from battering your door down and hauling you off you . . . . . you . . . . . . . Nazi.

But on a serious note I find it bizarre that in a world where the cause de jour is equality & diversity, people have become so entrenched in their little enclaves that anyone who questions, disagrees or is even just ambivalent to their orthodoxy is called out as someone deserving of punishment.
The sad part is in many cases people are being punished for not agreeing with their wishes and demands.
.. just straightforward bullying. By people who know they have lost the argument.

"...the in your face thing drove customers away. Within a year the place closed down because folks stopped using the place.

There are times when homosexuals are their own worst enemy.
Local boozer had a similar problem. Lezzers used to turn up mob-handed and start their caterwauling, and bitchiness, and eventually a lot of the regulars stopped going.
Management had to make a decision, and told the lezzers they were welcome, but not to be such a PITA, upsetting the other customers.
Lezzers start playing the 'sexist' card, and were then promptly barred.
Next thing the papers tried to get involved, until the manager revealed that he was a 'bear' gay!

they put gay rights posters
I must be getting a bit out-of-date; what are "gay rights" and are they extra or different to the rights that heterosexual people have?

I must be getting a bit out-of-date; what are "gay rights" and are they extra or different to the rights that heterosexual people have?
The posters they had up on their walls were all about being homophobic and the like and how we shouldn't be treating homosexuals differently. The thing was everyone in town knew they were lesbians and didn't give a damn, as I said previously the place was always busy.

It was when they started putting up posters and having pamphlets all over the counter it put customers off. It became like a the local office for LGBT instead of a diner where folks just wanted to go for a coffee or a burger.

And therein lies the issue. For the most part, people don't really get that bothered about LGBTIQ until it gets rammed down their throats. Then they balk at the fact it's being forced upon them and push back.

If they had raised the likes of the gay marriage bill without all the campaigning it probably would have slipped through unnoticed (excuse the pun)