Snowden granted Russian Visa.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by target_stop, Aug 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They are only shocked and furious because they told Russia it wasn't going to happen and it did, so now they are stamping their feet like a spoilt kid.
    Maybe they would get somewhere if they understood the concept of diplomacy.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Very true. The Obama camp were very firm in saying they would call off the summit with the Ruskies if they granted asylum to Snowden. Now Putin has called Americas bluff it will be intresting to see what Obama is made of.
  3. We currently don't know what Obama is made off but we do know he is short one mark 1 backbone.

He left his people in the $hit in Benghazi despite having assets nearby.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. How could they possibly expect that revoking his passport - so he couldn't travel - would result in him asking to stay where he was ? Oh, wait .....

Honestly, if the US administration had set out to damage US interests as much as possible they couldn't have done a better job. An offer of a flight home, a pardon and some nebulous enquiry in return for keeping his mouth shut could have nailed things down right at the start. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  5. Putin standing up for Truth, Justice and the American Way, whilst the US Govt. stands up for mass surveillance of the population, torture, imprisonment on suspicion of dissent and assassination of its own citizens.

The whirligig of time, eh?
    • Like Like x 9
  6. What would Obama and America have done if a Russian had uncovered his government breaching the 'freedom' (America's buzzword) of its citizens and that of its allies, then turned-up at Hartsfield airport?

There is no way the US would send said individual back to Moscow. Sauce for the goose, etc.
  7. Love the way some people seriously equate Russia and USA....
  8. I would have laughed at it myself thirty years ago.

These days, I'm really not sure.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. You're right, one is a country which routinely practises torture and imprisons people for life on suspicion. And the other is led by Vladimir Putin.
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I wonder what would happen if a Russian citizen in Putin's Russia did what Snowden has done?
  11. Polonium with chips probably.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

13. Putin called Obama's bluff on this one. If it comes down to a battle of wills between Putin and Obama then I know who my money is on. The US's inevitable fall from grace will only ever be accelerated by having an utter fanny calling the shots.

I'm sure Snowden has sold his soul in exchange for Russian protection but if he's stuck in Russia for the rest of his life then I'd regard that as a hefty punishment in itself.
  14. Not like he had much choice, is it? I'd sooner spend my life in St. Petersburg or even in a Siberian township, than in solitary confinement in some hellhole American prison.

Snowden's big mistake was to put his trust in that turd Assange, until then he was doing OK. He wasn't astute enough to twig that Assange's only interest is Assange.
    • Like Like x 2