Snow.

I live in Canada and we get shedloads of snow, dealing with it for months on end is just a part of life. Thing is the first few light snowfalls of the season shows that many have somehow forgot how to drive in it even though they've been doing it for years. A few mm of snow and loads minor accidents occur until memory returns and all of a sudden it's old hat again.

Aye it's the same here, went into town a couple of days ago, on the way in saw vehicles that have come off the road and stuck by the side of the road.

One young lady stood by her car with no coat or hat on, I pulled her car back onto the road and got her on her way before she froze to death.

Aye it's the same here, went into town a couple of days ago, on the way in saw vehicles that have come off the road and stuck by the side of the road.

One young lady stood by her car with no coat or hat on, I pulled her car back onto the road and got her on her way before she froze to death.
That was the first piece of advice l was given about winter driving here, don't get out of your vehicle, excellent way to die.

There have been threads covering this, but I carry extra coats etc, all year round, and even more gear in winter. You've got a vehicle, you've got the space, why not!

Ritch

LE
Woke up to about three inches this morning - was a nice surprise as all my sources on Twitter were saying no snow below 250m. I'm about 200m ASL.

Attempted a drive up to my dad's at 450m but had to give it up. Even the gritters and ploughs didn't make it up. My old man sent me photos of what the farmer had done. He'd ploughed the road but in doing so, had pushed all the snow over cars and in some places the piles were close to 9-10 feet.

I just wish it'd snow more often and stay cold. I know someone who lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and current daytime temps are about -25c. That's my kind of weather!

Last edited:
I sympathise with suffering … here in our bit of the Antipodes it’s almost Summer, allegedly, but today feels similar to when I was working in UlaanBaator in Jan ‘12, where this attire was necessary:
E2F9C325-0EE8-48E7-A47F-AE7E3E41417B.jpeg

My water butt went West this morning.
Cor, the thought of being dug in on SPTA gives me the shivers - another coffee me thinks!

I remember digging in and discovering the water table was 18" deep. Someone said 'be cheerful, it can't get worse than this' . . . then it started snowing. That was last century though, before global-warming, ohhhh when I was a kid we . . . . . etc. etc.

We got another foot or so of snow dumped on us during the night. Not long back from clearing it from around the house and clearing the snow on the road down to my neighbours place and then down to his neighbours place (a total of eight miles).

I do it for my neighbour who is in his early nineties and who is frail these days.

We got another foot or so of snow dumped on us during the night. Not long back from clearing it from around the house and clearing the snow on the road down to my neighbours place and then down to his neighbours place (a total of eight miles).

I do it for my neighbour who is in his early nineties and who is frail these days.
You're lucky, the ground here is so saturated with water and not frozen l can't blow any snow without spraying gravel or sod out the chutes and making ruts. It is supposedly going to turn back to rain by midweek, if not l will have to plough and get rid of the banks later.

You're lucky, the ground here is so saturated with water and not frozen l can't blow any snow without spraying gravel or sod out the chutes and making ruts. It is supposedly going to turn back to rain by midweek, if not l will have to plough and get rid of the banks later.

We're lucky in that regard because we have a smallish river and streams dotted around the place that flow into our lake which also draws water away from the house.

The ground around here freezes pretty fast as well.

We wound up with the worst of both worlds. Only 1" of snow, but over top of water so when you step on it the water bubbles to the surface of the snow and freezes.

Overall had an inch of snow falling throughout the day in my bit of Lancashire.

Got the petrol powered rotary brush fired up and cleared the snow from the parking place next to the kitchen door in 10 mins, salted the area - job jobbed.

Having broken three ribs in two places as a result of going down superfastquick in January as a result of, yup, you guessed, it a patch of compressed, thawed, then frozen snow.

Am rather keen to avoid doing anything even remotely similar ever again.

PFGEN

GCM
We had about half an inch snow on Friday night. At around 07.30 hrs I could hear some of the neighbours out busy brushing it off the pavement along with the sound of tutting that several of us were clearly a bunch of lazy buggers enjoying Saturday morning inspecting the inside of the eyelids. Post inspection and a little later it had all melted and gone. I suppose it gives them some aerobic exercise, personally I prefer to use the brain cells and check expected weather patterns.

Last edited:
I wanted to try this but herself doesn't trust me not to burn the house down.

If you're familiar with row crop cultivating, you'll get what I'm referring to. There are some around here that use tractor mounted lpg cultivators for weed control with gas nozzles rather than traditional sweeps on the end of the cultivator shank. In the winter you can often see them out on their drives and lane ways running them if there is an inch or two of snow, seems to work well. I think they do it just for fun as it seems a waste of propane if you're already running a tractor with pto to power a blower.

If you're familiar with row crop cultivating, you'll get what I'm referring to. There are some around here that use tractor mounted lpg cultivators for weed control with gas nozzles rather than traditional sweeps on the end of the cultivator shank. In the winter you can often see them out on their drives and lane ways running them if there is an inch or two of snow, seems to work well. I think they do it just for fun as it seems a waste of propane if you're already running a tractor with pto to power a blower.

I've only seen it done the once, that was over in Idaho.

PFGEN

GCM
Sounds like great planning by some. Snow storm on the way, get up to Tan Hill for a three day shut in with pub grub and booze. "Sorry luv, we're snowed in. No idea when when we'll be back. I'll have to clear out the garage some other time."
a fuel proof plan ;)

Latest Threads