Snow. Now when I were a lad...

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by putteesinmyhands, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...we didn't have as much trouble with the snow. Because...

1. We had coal fires and the ashes from the grate would be thrown on the road and footpath.

2. There was a greater community spirit. Everybody would join in to shovel the snow off the road, not just off the doorstep.

3. Most of the drivers were men, many ex-Army, where they had learned to drive in adverse weather conditions.

4. Extra bus services were put on. Not to cope with an increased demand, but to keep the roads clear of snow. In snowy weather, they'd be running all night instead of finishing at 10pm.

5. Homes were poorly insulated and the roaring fires would pump out plenty of heat, increasing air temperature and reducing the amount of snow that fell. We also had heavy industry and polluting chemical works that did an excellent job.

6. We didn't have supermarkets, so there was no need to take the car for the weekly shop. Just give the kids a 10/- note to get the bread, potatoes and beans from the corner shop. Milk was delivered, so that wasn't a problem.

7. Kids didn't have video games or DVDs, so they'd be gathering at the bottom of steep hills waiting to push cars up slippery slopes in the hope that the driver would throw them a few coppers.

What else have I missed?
  2. Snow was real snow, none of this namby pamby wimpy stuff. It would create 10 foot snow drifts and even bury cars up to the door handles.

Schools only closed because cold water pipes burst, not because they hadn't gritted the route to the school.

If the coal man couldn't get into your street, no problem, just burn anything to hand, old furniture piled in the back garden, newspaper bricks, or simply empty the contents of the skip that was usually parked along the street for general use.
  3. And as bad as the school was ..we were glad to go because there was heating there :) which we sure as hell didn,t have at home, plus we got a bottle of milk.

trying telling that to the yout....blah blah blah :lol:

Oh forgot to mention we left the house through the bedroom window in 1963 s wales.
  4. I hated the milk in summer, they seemed to find the hottest, sunniest spot in the whole school grounds and stack the crates of 1/3 pint silver top there. In winter it was ice cold and brill, I loved it in winter!
    Snow never stopped school because you either walked there or got the bus. Nothing stopped you, you were expected to trudge through the snow to get there and, if the heating had broken down you sat there in your gaberdine with your mittens, balaclava and scarf on and would occasionally be given star jumps to warm you up!
    Oh, and the only calculator you had was on the end of your hands.
  5. Oi markintime
    I was the milk-monitor and I will not have my work standards questioned :lol:
  6. Not half as bad as the snow in Germany, now that country knew how to snow when it wanted to.
  7. We used to get drifts up to the top of the hedges when I were a cub. I was still expected to get up and cycle down the road to do my paper round, even if my spokes were jammed up to the hubs with ice. My bedroom window was single glazed and used to freeze up, on the inside, once put my foot through it trying to open it. If the school bus didnt come we were expected to make our own way there.
  8. Nah, the Ruskies showed them real snow round about 17 July 1942 - 2 February 1943 :D
  9. - and now they look like Spam :lol:
  10. Our house had no central heating when my parents bought it in 1975, when it was eventually installed my Dad had a valve installed halfway up the stairs in a cupboard so the rad's upstairs could be turned off completely whilst leaving downstairs warm. Of course the thermostat was jealously guarded and was never to be on more than 15 degrees. In winter, it was never on in summer.
  11. Even if the Schools were open, can you imagine being allowed to make a thirty foot long slide. :roll: Even some of the younger teachers used to join in in my day. The kids with studded boots were always made to start the slide and the ones with rubber soled footwear were not allowed on. Fuckin' great, jumping round and going backwards..kept you warmed up.
  12. Eh lad, it warn't cowd till t'ice war on t'inside of bedroom winder!

Yer'd get darn t'school an git a warm on't 3" iron pipes from t'coil boilered 'eatin', chip t'ice off t'milk at 11, git yer steak n' kidney pie an' veg at lunch, an' just warm up a bit till yer 'ad ter go 'om!

Till yer 11 yer little legs in t'shorts would have lukked like corned beef if you cud remember from t'last time yer'd sain it, but if yer fell ovver, yer ud have 'ad scabs on yer knees to pick fer weeks!

Got back t'ouse, kept warm wi t'chores, 'ad yer tea, watched the BBC, till t'news, an' off ter bed wi' an 'ott watter bottle if yer'd been gud!

In t'mornin' yer cleared t'path an' off agin, and it kept yer goin' that 'appen it'd be thick stew an' choc spunge 'n custard fer yer dinner!

An' I were a soft lad!
  13. What else have I missed?[/quote]

Rickets,Scrofula,Plague,Smallpox,Hitler will that do for starters?
  14. Do you remember the spike of iced milk (well, cream) that appeared out of the top of frozen milk bottles on your doorstep?

Lovely. That was our only source of ice cream!

15. Rickets,Scrofula,Plague,Smallpox,Hitler will that do for starters?[/quote]

Tha's reet lad! ! Twas cowd wi' yer 'air haved off an' t'purple dye din't mek it any warmer!