Snooping industry set to grow

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jan 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Fark! 8O
  2. Glad to see all local Councils have the power to snoop! imagine you have a grudge or an issue with the council, and next thing you know...I suppose we can all guess.

Being able to access information is fine but at what purpose can some of these authorities the need to "snoop".

why and whom did singlepoint decide they needed to setup they couldn't have had inside knowledge by any chance? I wonder how many "close" associates to the spin machine are in volved with them? and is it the Singlepoint company that vodafone recently bought out?

website for singlepoint
  3. Excluding the serious fraud office, can anybody give me a good reason why any of the other bodies mentioned should have the right or in fact need, to "snoop" peoples internet & phone records?

I can see the CRE thought police getting powers next... been looking at unsuitable websites? Oh dear, that's naughty, perhaps we had better lock you up for hate crimes... :evil:
  4. Not one. I can't see any other reason. What concens me, is will these "contractors" also be given access to intercept? I may have utterly misunderstood the article, but it doesn't say they won't.
  5. ??????
    Bodies granted snooping powers include the Serious Fraud Office, all local authorities and councils plus other organisations such as the Charity Commission and the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science. ????

The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture? Good grief!!!

Listen! Whatever goes on between me and my koi is our affair! Got it!
  6. 749

749 Old-Salt

might need to know your fishing habbits??
    was "the one that got away" really as big as you claimed??
  7. "Connexions is a personal and careers advice service for teenagers in England. All 47 local Connexions partnerships are required to collect and store information about young people who use the service. Parents groups and opposition MPs have expressed concern that the CCIS is gathering deeply intrusive information from children and sharing it with a wide range of public and voluntary agencies - often without parental consent. The files, which may be accessed by agencies including police and social services, may include detailed questions about the youngsters' personal lives such as sexual activity or drug use as well as about the personal lives of their family and friends. The Department for Education and Skills insists that the most sensitive information was gathered only where absolutely necessary and only shared when proper consent had been received. "

If you're concerned about your privacy, be very careful what you say and do in front of your children. I couldn't find the link I was looking for but some of the questions which can be put to children are extremely intrusive and any answers could be open to a number of interpretations.

It reads like a manifesto from Germany in the 1930s. The original intentions behind it may have been laudable, but it is wide open to abuse.
  8. 749

749 Old-Salt

i have seen the glossy that our child brought back about this Connexions
    he didn't have a clue what it was all about though!
  9. Lord help us when councils have access to "private" information. My council have difficulties interpreting common sense... Very dangerous indeed...
  10. 749

749 Old-Salt

think you could say that about most councils :)