Sniping question, possibly USMC related

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by steven seagull, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I re-watched Jack Reacher last night and have a few questions regarding the tactics used in the finale. Yup, I'm aware that it is only a Hollywood movie but I've read that the director drafted in former US SEALS to advise on the sniping and weapons handling like he did on Way of the Gun so I'm interested to know if something I saw would ever be done on ops or trained.

If you've not seen the film dont read on as they'll be spoilers.

In the finale Tom Cruise and a retired USMC gunny played by Robert Duvall are told to go to a quarry and they know it's an ambush so do a quick recce and decide that there'll be a sharpshooter in high ground under some floodlights and spot another couple of shooters milling about at the base of the quarry. Duvall keeps his dominant eye closed during these scenes to perserve his night vision and it's decided that Cruise will drive into the quarry to draw fire while Duvall spots muzzle flashes and hopefully pick off the shooters.

However when Cruise drives into the quarry and it goes noisy Duvall stays in cover with both eyes shut and seems to try to pinpoint the shooters positions by listening for the shots being fired.

So my questions are - Is this Hollywood silliness or has this ever been done? Duvall's character would be of the South East Asia generation so would it be something he'd have done to identify firing positions in dense foliage? Is there any examples of snipers engaging targets using sound alone to identify enemy positions?

Bit daft I know but it just pricked my curiosity so any answers welcome.

Over to you my internet amigos.

2. You've taken your first step into a larger world...

[​IMG]

3. ...some of the soldiers I've done APWT with may as well have had a go with their eyes shut. :-(

• Like Like x 2
  4. Remote sense is based on reflected sound (there's an article on it in Decembers The Psychologist). Not sure how applicable or useful it would be in a military context.

5. The method would be incredibly unreliable, but in the absence of any other method of detection it may be worth a go. We've all done the range package (I forget its name) about detecting the enemy by fire so I imagine the method would at least be known to a yank sniper. On an open field in the middle of Magilligan having shots fired over your head it may seem possible but with angular, solid and acoustically reflective surfaces within a quarry it would be sodding tricky

6. With an unsuppressed system in a built up area its going to be fun. To see just how unreliable such a system can be, get someone to fire a single HV shot parallel with a row of telegraph poles or even fence posts. If you stand downrange or at an angle what you hear sounds like multiple HV shots being fired. This is the result of the sound of the crack being reflected of each pole in turn but with a very very small time interval.

7. I did forget to add that in the quarry I thought it would be impossible. Cheers for the answer though, I was just intrigued by the fact that the film makers made such a fuss over the fact that they used former USSF for accuracy then stuck in something so odd.

8. I found on tour that I could judge a rough distance and direction, but there is a massive difference between a hamlet/village in Aghan and a quarry.

9. Pure Hollywood bollocks. I am aware of being able to identify various types of weapons and general location/direction of the shooter as we were on patrol but not to the point one could actually acquire a target (as contrasted to recce by fire) without other senses being involved.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I've not seen the film...was the shooter a bat? That might explain it.

11. Recently watched a film called Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia on DVD which had some extra features included, one of which included an interview with a former Marine who was advising on military matters for the film. He made the point that he would attempt to get the actors to play their parts as militaristically near as possible but for film reasons this was not always possible. He gave an example of where the good guys come under enemy fire and drop to their knees. In real life, he stated, they would drop completely to the ground but because they were wearing DPM would blend into the background which was useless for filming. So for film purposes a compromise is made.