Sniping in France by Hesketh

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by dombo63, Feb 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reading it right now . Superb . need to find a book about sniping in the inter war years . I bet that everything learned was forgotten by about 1920 .
    Imagine the fun they would have had if all Boyes anti tank rifles were fitted with telescopic sights in 1940 ?

2. Try Martin Pegler's 'Out of Nowhere'.

3. I'm guessing it will be along the lines of "We didn't do much sniping today or yesterday. Nor much this week really. We did mix concrete and make a massive fort facing east. Tres clever, non?"

4. I imagine you'd get a lot of one-eyed soldiers as a result; imagine the snipers' eye on that thing...

5. You'd use a plunger as an eye piece , simples !

6. A real find, thank-you.

7. I have a copy of the original in my library. It was published by a US mob (IIRC) by basically photographing the pages of the original book and then adding the photographs.

An excellent book on the subject and I think still a recommended text for prospective candidates for the course.

I suspect that a telescopic sight of the appropriate vintage on a Boys would rapidly fall to bits from the recoil shock, apart from the difficulty of fitting one. As an aside, in Pegler's book "Out Of Nowhere" previously mentioned, Boys rifles were used as sniper rifles by the US in Korea and the Pacific campaign in WW2. In Korea they were re-barreled in .50 calibre and the magazine slot was covered so single-shot only (this is also mentioned in Wiki - see Boys anti-tank rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In the Pacific campaign they were used to dislodge Japanese snipers in trees; a palm tree trunk being absolutely nothing to a .55 calibre bullet.

8. And there was me hoping the thread was about worthwhile methods of killing time on holiday in France :p

9. It's a good read as is 'Sniping in the Great War' by Martin Pegler.

10. Any of the books by Martin Pegler on sniping make good reading.

11. I have not read any accounts of its performance in May 1940 , but I imagine that it would require a well placed Boyes round in either the tracks or the drivers' vision slit of a MkI or MkII Panzer to disable it ?
    Or could they penetrate these tanks armour ?

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A rifleman went to war is a great read to. I attended a lecture last month on interwar small arms and the boys ammo came up. The ammo failed to meet its own minimum penetration spec when entering service and was recognised by the WD as being out of date prior to entering service. The problem being if thats all you have what do you do?
    An artillery sight would withstand the rigours of firing well enough!