• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Snipers

#1
Hi, I was just wondering if there were any snipers here that would tell me a little bit more about the job and what it is like to serve as a sniper? This is a serious post as I am thinking about taking this specialist training when I enter the army so any information i would be extremely thankful for. Thanks in Advance
 
#3
Fallschirmjager said:
What infantry unit are you thinking of joining? This will have repercussions on your sniper ambitions as some units don't place much emphasis on it.
I am going for my selection very soon to get into the paras
 
#4
pvtscottclews said:
Fallschirmjager said:
What infantry unit are you thinking of joining? This will have repercussions on your sniper ambitions as some units don't place much emphasis on it.
I am going for my selection very soon to get into the paras
You posted earlier that you'd failed PARA selection by a minute on your 1.5 run so you were going for guards. make your mind up Pte Clews.
 
#5
Badger_Heed said:
pvtscottclews said:
Fallschirmjager said:
What infantry unit are you thinking of joining? This will have repercussions on your sniper ambitions as some units don't place much emphasis on it.
I am going for my selection very soon to get into the paras
You posted earlier that you'd failed PARA selection by a minute on your 1.5 run so you were going for guards. make your mind up Pte Clews.
Sniper

He didn't mention the running bit on that thread, he had already trashed another.

He was probably too thick to look in the arrsehole. That's the first place I check on my posts.
 
#6
Para Regt have their own sniper platoons so at least you're heading in the right direction. Being Para Regt myself i think you should focus on passing the arduous training before aspiring to become a sniper in Battalion. You'll have to serve a couple of years in a rifle company beforehand to get some experience of basic soldiering under your belt. If you're a good soldier you'll be given a crack to attend and pass the sniper course. Don't believe it's like you see on the films because it isn't!
 
#7
No I said that I was timing myself I havent been for selection yet because i cant make my mind up whether it is worth getting ready for paras or just entering the guards now and using the guards parachute platoon that are attached to 3 para as a way of getting in to the paras when i can run the time needed
 
#8
Fallschirmjager said:
Para Regt have their own sniper platoons so at least you're heading in the right direction. Being Para Regt myself i think you should focus on passing the arduous training before aspiring to become a sniper in Battalion. You'll have to serve a couple of years in a rifle company beforehand to get some experience of basic soldiering under your belt. If you're a good soldier you'll be given a crack to attend and pass the sniper course. Don't believe it's like you see on the films because it isn't!
Thank you very much for this information it has been very good. What is life like in the Paras if you dont mind me asking? thanks
 
#13
It strikes me that lots of youngsters who fancy a career in the army as infantrymen get thouroughly slated for asking perfectly reasonable questions about what a sniper specialisation involves. If he'd said " I'm joining infantry and was wondering what the job of Milan operator involves" would he get this flak?

Sniper is just a job and a hard one at that. I can't help think that the people who come out with all the condemnation are those who know nothing of the job and would never make the grade.
 
#14
EX_STAB said:
It strikes me that lots of youngsters who fancy a career in the army as infantrymen get thouroughly slated for asking perfectly reasonable questions about what a sniper specialisation involves. If he'd said " I'm joining infantry and was wondering what the job of Milan operator involves" would he get this flak?

Sniper is just a job and a hard one at that. I can't help think that the people who come out with all the condemnation are those who know nothing of the job and would never make the grade.
Exactly. That's a very good point.
 
#15
Can be a good job when you get the freedom of action and control from an appropriate level as you are supposed to. This can vary from Bn to Bn as like previously mentioned. Some place more emphasis and time on it than others. Its not like the movies running around in fields on your own and causing 'havoc', theres alot more to it than that. That is a common misconception, however seeing some other units thats how they still like to train.
As long as you don't want to do it cos you think theres some glory in it cos there isn't. You seldom get credit for doing a hard job.
But it is a good job and again as already mentioned, once you've done a few years and your basic infantry skills are shit hot, go for it
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
adie1182 said:
Can be a good job when you get the freedom of action and control from an appropriate level as you are supposed to. This can vary from Bn to Bn as like previously mentioned. Some place more emphasis and time on it than others. Its not like the movies running around in fields on your own and causing 'havoc', theres alot more to it than that. That is a common misconception, however seeing some other units thats how they still like to train.
As long as you don't want to do it cos you think theres some glory in it cos there isn't. You seldom get credit for doing a hard job.
But it is a good job and again as already mentioned, once you've done a few years and your basic infantry skills are s*** hot, go for it
The Bn to Bn variation in support for this skill can be quite startling. Even in this day and age, there are some officers who frown upon it as unsportsmanlike or less effective than it actually is.

Snipers are indeed a huge force multiplier in the right circumstances, but many officers do not have the necessary knowledge on the correct application or use of Snipers in battlefield situations. You may find that having passed the course, you have to 'educate' some of those above you as to where you fit in both during exercises and in combat environments. Having said this, the situation for Snipers in UK forces is rapidly improving in terms of deployment due to various successes in the latest conflicts.

Edited to add: There is a rumour that there is an improved bit of kit on the horizon . . .
 
#18
Biped said:
adie1182 said:
Can be a good job when you get the freedom of action and control from an appropriate level as you are supposed to. This can vary from Bn to Bn as like previously mentioned. Some place more emphasis and time on it than others. Its not like the movies running around in fields on your own and causing 'havoc', theres alot more to it than that. That is a common misconception, however seeing some other units thats how they still like to train.
As long as you don't want to do it cos you think theres some glory in it cos there isn't. You seldom get credit for doing a hard job.
But it is a good job and again as already mentioned, once you've done a few years and your basic infantry skills are s*** hot, go for it
The Bn to Bn variation in support for this skill can be quite startling. Even in this day and age, there are some officers who frown upon it as unsportsmanlike or less effective than it actually is.

Snipers are indeed a huge force multiplier in the right circumstances, but many officers do not have the necessary knowledge on the correct application or use of Snipers in battlefield situations. You may find that having passed the course, you have to 'educate' some of those above you as to where you fit in both during exercises and in combat environments. Having said this, the situation for Snipers in UK forces is rapidly improving in terms of deployment due to various successes in the latest conflicts.

Edited to add: There is a rumour that there is an improved bit of kit on the horizon . . .
Bet it's a rifle, a scope or a new round!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
EX_STAB said:
Biped said:
adie1182 said:
Can be a good job when you get the freedom of action and control from an appropriate level as you are supposed to. This can vary from Bn to Bn as like previously mentioned. Some place more emphasis and time on it than others. Its not like the movies running around in fields on your own and causing 'havoc', theres alot more to it than that. That is a common misconception, however seeing some other units thats how they still like to train.
As long as you don't want to do it cos you think theres some glory in it cos there isn't. You seldom get credit for doing a hard job.
But it is a good job and again as already mentioned, once you've done a few years and your basic infantry skills are s*** hot, go for it
The Bn to Bn variation in support for this skill can be quite startling. Even in this day and age, there are some officers who frown upon it as unsportsmanlike or less effective than it actually is.

Snipers are indeed a huge force multiplier in the right circumstances, but many officers do not have the necessary knowledge on the correct application or use of Snipers in battlefield situations. You may find that having passed the course, you have to 'educate' some of those above you as to where you fit in both during exercises and in combat environments. Having said this, the situation for Snipers in UK forces is rapidly improving in terms of deployment due to various successes in the latest conflicts.

Edited to add: There is a rumour that there is an improved bit of kit on the horizon . . .
Bet it's a rifle, a scope or a new round!
Nope . . . it's the all-new DPM shemagh actually. Not much good in the desert, but great if you couldn't be arrsed to make a ghillie hat.
 
#20
Biped said:
EX_STAB said:
Biped said:
adie1182 said:
Can be a good job when you get the freedom of action and control from an appropriate level as you are supposed to. This can vary from Bn to Bn as like previously mentioned. Some place more emphasis and time on it than others. Its not like the movies running around in fields on your own and causing 'havoc', theres alot more to it than that. That is a common misconception, however seeing some other units thats how they still like to train.
As long as you don't want to do it cos you think theres some glory in it cos there isn't. You seldom get credit for doing a hard job.
But it is a good job and again as already mentioned, once you've done a few years and your basic infantry skills are s*** hot, go for it
The Bn to Bn variation in support for this skill can be quite startling. Even in this day and age, there are some officers who frown upon it as unsportsmanlike or less effective than it actually is.

Snipers are indeed a huge force multiplier in the right circumstances, but many officers do not have the necessary knowledge on the correct application or use of Snipers in battlefield situations. You may find that having passed the course, you have to 'educate' some of those above you as to where you fit in both during exercises and in combat environments. Having said this, the situation for Snipers in UK forces is rapidly improving in terms of deployment due to various successes in the latest conflicts.

Edited to add: There is a rumour that there is an improved bit of kit on the horizon . . .
Bet it's a rifle, a scope or a new round!
Nope . . . it's the all-new DPM shemagh actually. Not much good in the desert, but great if you couldn't be arrsed to make a ghillie hat.
A DPM shemagh has got to be a really sad looking piece of kit. I fail to see how it substitutes for ghillie/scrim hat.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts