Snipers - Cowardly assassins, or surgical soldiers?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ark-angel, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this on an I.T site thought you may like a looky
    Linky

2. That's a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I believe this quote:
    may be wrong. As I understand it, the "R" signifies that the round has a rim, as opposed to being rimless.

MsG

3. The title is put into perspective in light of the neccessity of such skills......a good read - thanks for that

4. If They are Enemy "Cowardly Assassins"
    If Our Brave lads 'Surgical Soldiers"
    john
    I was once down at Bessbrooke told to look after a young lad who was coming in on crab Wessex. He's in a bad way Sarge and I was told and is being medevaced.
    He turned out to be a battalion sniper and he was 'cracking' up. From what he said to me , he had shot a couple or three over the border and he reckoned he saw the head of the last one come apart after he fired.

5. Very interesting Ark Angel, thanks for posting it.

Jon Willy has expressed my sentiments with regard to the question posed.

6. Good article, thought provoking..

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Accurate protrayal - good article.

As for the clever ammo - I believe there are electro-reactive plastics these days that allow for very low voltage flight surface changes for small items. Just a thought.

8. Spot on, to draw a parrallel with Blackadder's opinion of spies: "Brave Tommies infiltrating deep behind enemy lines, or filthy hun weasels!!' all a question of perception.

9. You are correct Sir.

10. from personal experience rather smelly can't see him but there appears to be a strange smell in the air :twisted:

11. We could get into the whole philosophy of whether a sniper is any more deadly, cowardly or surgical than any other player from tactical to political/strategic level. They are useful in certain circumstances, less so in others. Relative to other battlefield icons, the well-placed sniper has weighty potential.

12. Back in the early 1800s many British Officers considered the Baker Rifle to be un-sporting and feared that the deliberate targeting of Officers would result in leaderless mobs running amok.

Interesting bit about the "smart" ammunition. As ever the challenge will be getting components small enough to fit inside a 50-cal round - particularly "internal ... aero-actuation control methods".

"Targeting" will be a challenge - if the "sniper" is 4 to 5 kms from the target who or what "targets" the target. It is unlikely that the sniper will have eyes-on and so this almost becomes a terminaly guided indirect fire problem, to say nothing of ROE and PID requirements. In this instance the traditional sniper is no longer.