Sniper

as some of you know, i passed my ADSC the other day (woot), i will be going into phase 1 at catterick on the 20th April.

i was wondering if anyone could also give me advice on how and what to do in order to become a sniper later on.

where i need to shine through, what requirements are needed.

reason i want to be a sniper is simple. covering the best infantry men in battle is one hell of a honorable thing if you ask me.

chris

cpunk

LE
My advice is to take it one step at a time. If you start wibbling on to the DS about being a sniper at this stage, they're genuinely going to think there's something wrong with you. You've got a lot of learning to do yet, so whatever your ultimate ambitions are, you need to knuckle down and do well in training first.

If you pass the CIC at Catterick you'll spend some time in a Rifle Company when you get to Batallion before being put forward for the sniper cadre. The instructors at Catterick won't be looking at you as a potential sniper so just concentrate on the basics and not going out to impress anybody. If you posess the attributes to be a sniper they'll be picked up on at Batallion. One step at a time Joe.

maroon44 said:
If you pass the CIC at Catterick you'll spend some time in a Rifle Company when you get to Batallion before being put forward for the sniper cadre. The instructors at Catterick won't be looking at you as a potential sniper so just concentrate on the basics and not going out to impress anybody. If you posess the attributes to be a sniper they'll be picked up on at Batallion. One step at a time Joe.
brilliant, thanks mate :D answered the question brilliantly :D

just constructed a list of items i need to get. some of the phase one slugs told us at the ADSC its a brilliant idea to get your own ironing board, even though it says they are supplied. is this true? cos thats gonna be a pain to lug around.

chris

You might want to take a look at the underwater Ninja knife-fighting course too. It's in Terendak with the live phase in Kuala Lumpur.

Sorry, being glib. Cpunk's right. You don't want to be binned as a walt before you've even passed-out. And it may seem obvious, but you'll probably need to find out if you can pass APWT first?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice attitude to the job mate.

Good advice about keeping your gob shut about sniping until you've got some time in.

You will need to work very hard on the most basic of sniping proficiencies, and (scuse pun) shine!

Fieldcraft needs to be top class, shooting needs to be top-class, and if you can spend as much time as possible (your own time) developing your map-reading skills, you may get 'spotted'.

It helps a great deal if you can show initiative (lots), as well as the ability to think on your feet, alone, as well as being a very good team player in your section.

These are skills you'll have to give max-effort to as an infantryman to stand a hope of being selected for sniper training.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
TheSparky said:
stabtastic said:
You might want to take a look at the underwater Ninja knife-fighting course too.
Were do i apply for this course :D
Under the water - DUH! :D

Rather than turn up with an ironing board under your arm (oh how people will laugh), go to Lakeland and buy an ironing mat; a flexible heatproof mat about A2 size, which you can lay on a table, iron your kit on and roll up afterwards (allow to cool first). Besides, the army will provide one iron for every ironing board, so if you take a mat, you'll need an iron too.

I also know a lot of people who swear by Lycra-style skintight wicking long johns; they keep you warm if your pathetically thin CS95s get soaked or if the wind gets up, and are long enough to go over the top of the boot, preventing too much water from running down inside.

It has been said already but your basic field craft must be good, you must have good routine in the field, and the ability to stick to your task without supervision. You can learn these things, the one thing you cannot ever do is tick about doing the grassroots stuff first because we all had to earn our stripes.

True about the skin-tight long johns, get Helley Hanson marino ones (for winter). They're designed for sailing, keep you toasty warm no matter how wet, weigh bugger all and count as "pants" as far as the DS are concerned.

Best way to get into Snipering (other than the obvious, as above) is to join the Regt rifle club, or so we are told. Time spent on the "big" ranges in the company of other rifle-perverts will do wonders for your marksmanship, which is half the battle.

Funny story: officer in a Recce Regiment (LD?) sets up a sort of OP/SF point, and finds ocassion to put one of his recently trained sniper types into a hollow tree. I forget the details. Point is, this guy was ridiculously keen and had been in the Troop for about ten seconds before the exercise.

After three days of intensive readiness (and boredom) they got sudden orders to jack the OP and wizzed off to do a spot of counter-heliBedford stuff. Four days with no proper sleep, and finally they get orders to move into a hide and get some schlaff etc in. O Group next day:

TROOP COMMANDER: How's Tpr Sniper fitting in then, Troop Sergeant?

TROOP SERGEANT: Tpr Sniper sir? Um, Have you got him, Lance-Corporal Mong?

L/CPL MONG: Not since Tuesday, I thought he was in your wagon Sgt!

(Long pause).

ALL: Bugger...

Anyhow, turns out he'd been sat where they left him for FIVE DAYS, and was still keen as mustard when they picked him up. Never even occurred to him to worry! And it was All Hushed Up, with beer. The end!

Best is walk then run as said before one step at a time, the guys from our mob who went on the Sniper course in Warminster were sh*t hot squaddies, switched on to fcuk and I know they all found the course extremely hard.
I never took the course but I did shoot for Regiment at Bisley in the early 80's and that was hard enough without the ghillie suit and fielcraft needed to be a sniper, however as the saying goes if you want something bad enough ......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ord_Sgt Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1
E The NAAFI Bar 18
S Army Reserve 10