Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. as some of you know, i passed my ADSC the other day (woot), i will be going into phase 1 at catterick on the 20th April.

i was wondering if anyone could also give me advice on how and what to do in order to become a sniper later on.

where i need to shine through, what requirements are needed.

reason i want to be a sniper is simple. covering the best infantry men in battle is one hell of a honorable thing if you ask me.

chris

2. *digs shell scrape and stands by for incoming*

Try reading some Andy McNab books and buying lots of WebTex.

Good luck.

3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

My advice is to take it one step at a time. If you start wibbling on to the DS about being a sniper at this stage, they're genuinely going to think there's something wrong with you. You've got a lot of learning to do yet, so whatever your ultimate ambitions are, you need to knuckle down and do well in training first.

4. If you pass the CIC at Catterick you'll spend some time in a Rifle Company when you get to Batallion before being put forward for the sniper cadre. The instructors at Catterick won't be looking at you as a potential sniper so just concentrate on the basics and not going out to impress anybody. If you posess the attributes to be a sniper they'll be picked up on at Batallion. One step at a time Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. brilliant, thanks mate :D answered the question brilliantly :D

just constructed a list of items i need to get. some of the phase one slugs told us at the ADSC its a brilliant idea to get your own ironing board, even though it says they are supplied. is this true? cos thats gonna be a pain to lug around.

chris

6. You don't need to take it with you on tabs, just get it to your accomodation from transport... Get a small light one.

7. You might want to take a look at the underwater Ninja knife-fighting course too. It's in Terendak with the live phase in Kuala Lumpur.

Sorry, being glib. Cpunk's right. You don't want to be binned as a walt before you've even passed-out. And it may seem obvious, but you'll probably need to find out if you can pass APWT first?

8. roj, thanks guys.

topic is done

chris

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nice attitude to the job mate.

Good advice about keeping your gob shut about sniping until you've got some time in.

You will need to work very hard on the most basic of sniping proficiencies, and (scuse pun) shine!

Fieldcraft needs to be top class, shooting needs to be top-class, and if you can spend as much time as possible (your own time) developing your map-reading skills, you may get 'spotted'.

It helps a great deal if you can show initiative (lots), as well as the ability to think on your feet, alone, as well as being a very good team player in your section.

These are skills you'll have to give max-effort to as an infantryman to stand a hope of being selected for sniper training.

10. basically, as has been said in more flowery words, you just need to be the best infanteer you can at this point. Thats fieldcraft, not foot drill!

11. Were do i apply for this course :D

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Under the water - DUH! :D

13. Is it in the Spesical forces? :D

14. No, It's in the 'Speshul' Forces.

15. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Correct, however you need to apply for an attachment to the JDF to get on it!