• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Sniper video?

Hell, I don't know. I posted it to see if any of you had any ideas. I know they're not human targets. A .50 will do a job on you, but it's not going to blast you 50 feet into the air. Rednecks hunting in the U.S.? Possible. The terrain looks like it could maybe be out west, Utah maybe.

They look to me like Hyrax (rock rabbits) little rodent like beggars related to elephants. Which means that the location is east Africa, probably Kenya.

Bits said:
I've seen this somewhere else. They're prairie dogs (if the original was correct), somewhere out west US.
Sorry, but they cant be prairie dogs unless they've been stuffed and pre-postioned. As the name suggests, prairie dogs live on the prairie, not up a kopje.

sandmanfez said:
Bits said:
I've seen this somewhere else. They're prairie dogs (if the original was correct), somewhere out west US.
Sorry, but they cant be prairie dogs unless they've been stuffed and pre-postioned. As the name suggests, prairie dogs live on the prairie, not up a kopje.
kopje?

I guess the original wasn't correct then.

Bits said:
sandmanfez said:
Bits said:
kopje?

I guess the original wasn't correct then.
Sorry, just lapsing into Boer :wink: A kopje is a small rocky hill rising out of the veldt.

:oops: There I go again, veldt is open grassland like prairie or steppe.

Sandmanfez, I think you could be close to the mark (excuse the pun) on the targets being stuffed and pre-positioned. What we are seeing is not the result of a sniper rifle of any calibre but an explosion. A high velocity high calibre round will certainly blow a large hole in the creature but it will not make the whole body explode away 20 meters into the sky.

Uh! I don't think so. The creature (hyrax) looks to be about half the body weight and size of an average human. Even if a quarter the size and weight you cannot reasonably make the comparison of a 120mm shell with a .5 bullet. Sorry but you've only got a dreamy grasp on the reality of ballistics. I've seen the impact of .5 rounds on men and although devastating with much of the body torn apart, there was no exploding 20m into the air effect. Your video has either been digitally altered or the scene was staged. But it was not a sniper incident.

Uh, I dont think so Birdie. A hyrax is the size of a rabbit and weighs about 6-7lb. Hunting men with .5 FMJ is a bit different to using a soft-nosed, expanding game round on a target with so little mass and commensurate inertia.
The vacumn effect alone, is phenomenal when you remove 30% of the targets mass in a nano-second. Those dassies are being displaced by approx 3-4m not 20.

Latest Threads