Sniper Trained Officers?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Bromhead, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone got any idea whether its possible to do the Sniper course as an officer? If so is it the same course or is there a separate sniper instructors course that needs to be done instead/as well as.

Obviously i appreciate that there isn't an enormous need for sniper trained infantry officers but i can't believe that there aren't any. The joining instructions i've seen for the course clearly state the maximum rank as being CSgt, so i was wondering if anybody knew if this was flexible or set in stone?

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I avoided this earlier, but it seems specifically relevant now. My cousin was the platoon commander of the sniper platoon of his Inf. Regiment until his promotion, I can't believe (tho' I haven't asked) that he was not trained in the art.
  3. Fcuking hell you should meet some RE officers!
  4. Yes, and yes. Our Adjutant had done just that (he was KOSB).
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well I know one with a green beret I'd wager is quite a good shot ;)
  6. Officers are not allowed to be snipers.
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think he means whether they can be trained/do the course, not creep out and take the shot before their command. I think you're right they might get a right bollocking if they were taking the shots themself...
  8. But you need to justify the course, so Fallschirmjaeger is right in a way.
  9. I dunno - things are changing. I know for a fact the the OC of the PWRR in Al Amara often went out on patrols and at times was posting grenades himself. I think it's important to be able to do the job that you are asking the lads to do and walk the walk.

(Without getting yourself needlessly killed of course...)
  10. Well i'm assuming that in order to commander a section/platoon of snipers as a BG asset you'd have to have done the course in order to understand their abilities/limitations particularly as part of the ISTAR group.
  11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

That's what I'd imagine.
  12. I knew an RGJ Captain who was a badged sniper.
  13. Long while ago but I knew two Buffs officers who used to hive up on top of Flax St mill and deal with anyone took on the dummy in a dark room manipulated with string on the top floor. Rarely missed or wounded.
  14. Milan / Javelin platoon commander doesn't operate a firing post

GMPG(SF) platoon commander doesn't fire the gun

Mortar Officer ... etc - you get the picture.

Officers can attend the Sniper Instructor's Course - although it is a bit rare.

The point of an officer being a trained sniper instructor is exactly the same as having a trained anti tank platoon commander. I would content that the reason why sniping has struggled so long to be properly recognised and supported in the infantry is a lack of sniper trained officers.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. They both did in Helmand.