Sniper sniped?

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Now that is ironic

... .... .. -

As this is not the NAAFI, I think the comments thus far on this thread are out of line regardless of the literary quality of his book (I mean look at Bravo 20 as an example of what you attribute to the late Chief Kyle). A brave man has been murdered and does not warrant NAAFI treatment.

For those who may actually have been in harm's away and appreciate what the Chief accomplished, here is a thread of a different and in my view more appropriate tenor:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/us/193986-ex...sniper-apparently-murdered-ptsd-sufferer.html

I liked him in interview, dont care about his book. Sad news, RIP.

If you write a book about your time as a sniper, and openly claim to have killed 255 enemy whilst working as a sniper, surely it cannot have come as a great surprise that someone, quite possibly from or with sympathies with that same enemy, decided to shoot him?

If you write a book about your time as a sniper, and openly claim to have killed 255 enemy whilst working as a sniper, surely it cannot have come as a great surprise that someone, quite possibly from or with sympathies with that same enemy, decided to shoot him?
Have you read who shot him Sherlock?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
got it but not read it so cant comment on how his book compared to the life of bob lee swagger, its still a shame that he should die at the hands of someone deranged by the wars he excelled in. especially when he was trying to help the guy who shot him

300 odd million guns and probably close to a million vets out there all ticking timebombs - america really should be worried about it. vietnam vets if they couldn't cope went and lived in the woods, the current batch seem to be liable to be more extrovert in their actions.

RIP.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Proceeds from the sale of his book went to US Forces charities.

A terrible tragedy all round - the shooter was clearly not in his right mind.

Eddie Ray Routh is in custody for allegedly killing Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle on a gun range. Routh is 25 and was picked up by police.
The Erath County Sheriff's Office issued an alert for the arrest of the suspect, who was later identified as Eddie Routh, 25. Officials warned that Routh was traveling in a Ford F-150 pickup with large tires and rims. They said he was believed to be highly trained with military experience.
Routh was reportedly later captured in Lancaster, south of Dallas.
Investigators believe Routh, a former Marine, turned his weapon on Kyle and the second victim before fleeing the scene.
Update: Some more information:
The motive of the shooting remained unclear, Bryant said. "Not a clue; absolutely no idea."
WFAA/Channel 8 quoted unnamed sources as saying that Kyle of Midlothian and a neighbor had taken Routh on an outing to help him deal with post-traumatic stress disorder. Routh turned on the men and shot them in the back, the report added.
The sheriff said he could not confirm how the victims were shot.
In January 2012, the Cleburne Times-Review reported that Routh of Lancaster was arrested in Johnson county on a DWI charge. Public records showed Routh previously lived in Camp LeJeune, N.C., site of a major Marine base.

Read more here: Top Navy SEAL sniper killed on gun range of West Texas resort | Crime and Safety | News ...
And a picture of the suspect.

Update 2: One news source is reporting that he is an Iraq War veteran.

Pundit Press: Eddie Ray Routh Information

Pundit Press: Eddie Ray Routh Picture

got it but not read it so cant comment on how his book compared to the life of bob lee swagger, its still a shame that he should die at the hands of someone deranged by the wars he excelled in. especially when he was trying to help the guy who shot him

300 odd million guns and probably close to a million vets out there all ticking timebombs - america really should be worried about it. vietnam vets if they couldn't cope went and lived in the woods, the current batch seem to be liable to be more extrovert in their actions.

RIP.
Is that not just the least bit overbroad? And if we do have such an "IED" waiting to explode, just what precisely would you recommend be done about it? You have made it clear (at least to me) how you "feel" about our firearms situation in the US but I have yet to see any suggestions as to a "cure."

I do have to wonder at the thought process behind taking someone with known PTSD to a shooting range.

I do have to wonder at the thought process behind taking someone with known PTSD to a shooting range.
I suggest you do a bit of research about PTSD as it is apparent to me at least that you know little about it. I have PTSD and own and operate a range and to my knowledge have not gone postal and killed anyone.

RIP.
Please don't by into or promulgate that tired Hollywood troupe that all vets are psycos with a time fuse. It was BS in the 80's and its BS now.

As for taking someone with PTSD to a shooting range; I find shooting very therapeutic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ord_Sgt Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1
E The NAAFI Bar 18
S Army Reserve 10