Sniper reticle info needed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brimac, Jan 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guy's i need your help,
    I am looking to buy an ex army Schmidt scope circa (1990-2000) with the sniper reticle, can you old snipers tell me what the different bars refer to?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Thats the ranging bars at the bottom sorted ... thanks
    just info on the horizontal lines ??

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The bars along the bottom are for quick-and-dirty range-finding. A target's head will fit a certain gap at 300m, and half of that at 600m for example. So, once the Sniper knows the scale of certain objects like the head of a target, the average height of fence posts in fields, door heights, the average height of a man etc, he can quickly get a rough estimate of the range to that object. The same principle applies to millradians, which are 1m apart at 1000m.

We still use Mils in scope reticles due to the fact that laser rangefinders aren't passive, so can be detected by a suitably equipped foe, and they require power which may not always be available in a battlefield situation.

I believe that the horizontal lines with their verticle lines will be 1 Mil apart and will be useful in situations where the Sniper needs to aim off due to wind, and doesn't wish to, or have time to 'click-off' for the correction.

Edited to add: A further note on the horizontal lines themselves - these are an aid to levelling the rifle. If the rifle is slightly canted, the shot will be off the mark, especially at longer ranges.

4. If it's the one on ebay - the price looks a bit steep. You can get a brand new S&B short dot for not much more money.

5. This will go on my L96 and this is the correct scope for that rifle.
    I saw the replacement for this scope. ex accuracy international 3-12 x50 works scope for sale from a schmidt dealer for 2K .... now thats pricey !

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's odd - I don't remember that particular reticle on the L96, but hey ho. As for an ex-works 3-12x50 costing 2k, have a word with yourself eh?

Half the reason for the extortionate prices on the military scopes is the extra lens coatings to deal with lasers and things - if you ain't going up against Russia or someone, leave it off. You can save yourself a grand simply by having the commercial version - which apart from being half the price, is actually clearer because there's less junk on the glass, and other than that, they are identical.

You could actually buy a brand-spanking new commercial one, that's clearer but otherwise identical for less than 2k. Of course, if you really want to go to town, you could buy a 5-25x56 with illuminated reticle for just over 2k.

I think that in your search for absolute originality, you will get less than joe on the street does, and it will cost you more.