Sniper Helmet?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EDICT, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard a rumour today that snipers out in Helmand have been issued with a sniper's helmet, basically a modified Mk6A with the back cut away to allow the sniper to adopt the prone while wearing Osprey. Is it just a rumour or is it gen? And if it is gen, does anyone know the NSN for them? Cheers.

2. I'm sure that, if they exist, you'll get one if you need one.

3. Is this like the rumour that the SAS version of osprey doesn't have a chest panel, so you can get at your smock more easily? Or the Guards have blunt bayonets to stop them injuring themselves when doing drill in the desert? Or each Marine is issued with two roll mats (one per arm)?

Or is it just a WAH?

4. WAH! ;)

5. it would look like a Jewish skullcap :)

6. Why should a sniper use a helmet? There's no need for one.

7. why would a sniper use and helmet? stop his head getting fragged is one reason and also snipers are taught to take out priority targets i.e. other snipers.
    so wearing an helmet on patrol will help them to blend in more than cutting about in a soft hat when everbody else is wearing helmets, may aswell put a sign on your head and say shoot me im a sniper

8. A few months ago we shot at several helmets. 7.62, 5.56, 9 mm on 25m and 50m. We also shot at our bodyarmor. The helmet was like butter, even the 9mm on 50m penetrated the helmet.

Military experts say that a helmet just helps you to save your head if something explodes and some splitter hit you.

If a sniper aims me with a 7.62, there is no need for a helmet. . .

9. No such helmet on issue.

10. I'd have thought carrying a big feck off sniper rifle would give the game away as well..... :wink:

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

good thinking, maybe they will all nip down to the LAD and borrow a hack saw to shorten the barrel of their gat as well, but its gonna fcuk up the performance.

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Damm Damm Damm must type faster.

13. Once again people tapping away slagging each other off without a clue about the subject.

There is a sniper helmet is coming out as part of the sniper system improvment program should have been part of the L115A3 CES but as is allways the way some of the kit ( Wind meater, Cronograph and the helmet) is dipping down the line.

Best people to speak to would be the DF School at Brecon.

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Chronograph!?!?! WTF do they need chronographs for??!?! The issue round is a known muzzle energy/velocity, and the clicks to range are also a known quantity! WTF are they doing these days; loading their own to save money? Aaaannd another thing . . . . when sniping on the job, what are they going to do? Fire a quick check-shot to ensure the muzzle velocity fits the bill before shooting the bad guys?

Wind meter? WTF for? A wind meter is only good for where you happen to be sitting, not 1, 2, 3 or 900m down range. You might as well carry on with wetting your finger and sticking it up in the air. That's why they have range flags at fixed intervals ALL the way down ranges at Bisley and the like - to show the wind direction and strength all the way down the range to the target.

Don't get me wrong, it's gucci kit and all that, but very little use in real world situations where a shot might have to be taken from 600m to 1800m depending on the calibre. What's your wind meter going to tell you about the leaves and branches swaying, or the dust swirls over a kilometre away?

As for the helmet - not sure on that one :D

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Helmets can save lives, in the late 80's a lad in 2LI was hit in his Mk6 by a 7.62 allegedly from a G3. The round deflected down into his shoulder and enbded up in his chest. The surgeon operating on him was formerly KOYLI RMO during a Jungle stint in the 60's. Saved his life!