• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Sniper Helmet?

I heard a rumour today that snipers out in Helmand have been issued with a sniper's helmet, basically a modified Mk6A with the back cut away to allow the sniper to adopt the prone while wearing Osprey. Is it just a rumour or is it gen? And if it is gen, does anyone know the NSN for them? Cheers.

Is this like the rumour that the SAS version of osprey doesn't have a chest panel, so you can get at your smock more easily? Or the Guards have blunt bayonets to stop them injuring themselves when doing drill in the desert? Or each Marine is issued with two roll mats (one per arm)?

Or is it just a WAH?

it would look like a Jewish skullcap :)

why would a sniper use and helmet? stop his head getting fragged is one reason and also snipers are taught to take out priority targets i.e. other snipers.
so wearing an helmet on patrol will help them to blend in more than cutting about in a soft hat when everbody else is wearing helmets, may aswell put a sign on your head and say shoot me im a sniper

D4rK

Old-Salt
yorkie79 said:
why would a sniper use and helmet? stop his head getting fragged is one reason and also snipers are taught to take out priority targets i.e. other snipers.
so wearing an helmet on patrol will help them to blend in more than cutting about in a soft hat when everbody else is wearing helmets, may aswell put a sign on your head and say shoot me im a sniper
A few months ago we shot at several helmets. 7.62, 5.56, 9 mm on 25m and 50m. We also shot at our bodyarmor. The helmet was like butter, even the 9mm on 50m penetrated the helmet.

Military experts say that a helmet just helps you to save your head if something explodes and some splitter hit you.

If a sniper aims me with a 7.62, there is no need for a helmet. . .

yorkie79 said:
I'd have thought carrying a big feck off sniper rifle would give the game away as well..... :wink:

yorkie79 said:
good thinking, maybe they will all nip down to the LAD and borrow a hack saw to shorten the barrel of their gat as well, but its gonna fcuk up the performance.

box-of-frogs said:
yorkie79 said:
I'd have thought carrying a big feck off sniper rifle would give the game away as well..... :wink:
Damm Damm Damm must type faster.

Once again people tapping away slagging each other off without a clue about the subject.

There is a sniper helmet is coming out as part of the sniper system improvment program should have been part of the L115A3 CES but as is allways the way some of the kit ( Wind meater, Cronograph and the helmet) is dipping down the line.

Best people to speak to would be the DF School at Brecon.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Rocky_Yeti said:
Once again people tapping away slagging each other off without a clue about the subject.

There is a sniper helmet is coming out as part of the sniper system improvment program should have been part of the L115A3 CES but as is allways the way some of the kit ( Wind meater, Cronograph and the helmet) is dipping down the line.

Best people to speak to would be the DF School at Brecon.
Chronograph!?!?! WTF do they need chronographs for??!?! The issue round is a known muzzle energy/velocity, and the clicks to range are also a known quantity! WTF are they doing these days; loading their own to save money? Aaaannd another thing . . . . when sniping on the job, what are they going to do? Fire a quick check-shot to ensure the muzzle velocity fits the bill before shooting the bad guys?

Wind meter? WTF for? A wind meter is only good for where you happen to be sitting, not 1, 2, 3 or 900m down range. You might as well carry on with wetting your finger and sticking it up in the air. That's why they have range flags at fixed intervals ALL the way down ranges at Bisley and the like - to show the wind direction and strength all the way down the range to the target.

Don't get me wrong, it's gucci kit and all that, but very little use in real world situations where a shot might have to be taken from 600m to 1800m depending on the calibre. What's your wind meter going to tell you about the leaves and branches swaying, or the dust swirls over a kilometre away?

As for the helmet - not sure on that one :D

ugly

LE
Helmets can save lives, in the late 80's a lad in 2LI was hit in his Mk6 by a 7.62 allegedly from a G3. The round deflected down into his shoulder and enbded up in his chest. The surgeon operating on him was formerly KOYLI RMO during a Jungle stint in the 60's. Saved his life!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
ugly said:
Helmets can save lives, in the late 80's a lad in 2LI was hit in his Mk6 by a 7.62 allegedly from a G3. The round deflected down into his shoulder and enbded up in his chest. The surgeon operating on him was formerly KOYLI RMO during a Jungle stint in the 60's. Saved his life!
So, er, was it the helmet or the RMO? 8O

ugly

LE
Bit of both really, without the lid he wouldnt have been worth saving!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
There's no doubt about the life-saving capability of helmets, and that they have saved countless lives. A chopped helmet for sniping does also make sense, though the shape and size is going to be an issue, over and above the height of the sniper's head when in cover, just like it is for everyone else. One would have to weigh up the pro's and con's of the viability of a bone dome that may indeed save one's life, but will also make it easier for the sniper to be seen.

Still bloody unsure about the practical application in the field of a chrono or wind meter though. Mind you, if by wind meter, one means a full-on bit of kit that provides barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, air temperature and humidity - that's a different story, and worth its weight in gold - though the wind aspect is of VERY limited value.

The chrono is completely pointless IMHO.

I read somewere (i'll try and find the link) that a new wind meter is being made.

It uses a laser to illiminate dust particles in the air and caculates their direction and speed. From this it can give an accurate wind speed all the way to the target and so help you to correct the sight accordingly. Its all still a bit blue-sky research at the moment from what i can remember so don't hold your breath.

i'm not a sniper so I don't know how usefull this would be. It seems to me that bags of training and a bit of experiance means a decent sniper can figure out where to aim to hit the target. The guys out doing it right now seem to be pretty good anyway.

back to the helmet: is this the sort of thing it would be (minus the real helmet underneath)? the germans were using these in ww1 and ww2 to add extra protection against other snipers.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ho2331 Infantry 11
B Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 12
Mr Happy The Intelligence Cell 36