Sniper "Duel" In Afghanistan involving US and UK WIA AND KIA by Taleban Sniper

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did you ever get to meet the legend JJH? Or are even you not old enough? ; )

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I like the way some people on that thread (below the article) are saying this bloke isn't a sniper. He's fighting on a battlefield, in a war, he's concealed, he's using an accurate rifle, and he's hitting our blokes and he's not been found. By any definition, from the Boer war to present day, that makes him a sniper.

3. A lot of the comments following that post seem to show a remarkable contempt for the enemy's abilities. They can't be from serving military.

4. The post is protected by bulletproof glass, except for small gaps through which the guards fire their weapons. The sniper timed his single shot and killed the engineer as he walked past the opening.

'Not a sniper', eh?

5. If memory serves didnt Carlos grow up dirt poor and where his personal accuracy with the firearm of his choice often made the difference as to eating or not?

Sounds like Afghanistan to me.

I find all those posts about how it couldnt be a local highly un-informed as I'm sure most people here will. The locals out there have a huge tradition of marksmanship. Talking of which I guess the debate on marksman vs sniper might be something to do with range? Is this someone who is making fantastic shots from long range (ala Carlos) or is it someone who's using good/outstanding field/urban craft and available cover to get very very close and make still damn fine shots. The difference is somantics and rather beside the point if you're being shot at I would imagine!

Once its no longer opsec I'd love to know the details as a semi weapons geek...is he using a Dragunov(sp?) or clone, a Lee-Enfield, captured/stolen NATO kit or maybe one of those silenced subsonic short range russian Vintorez things or something else again.

Mean time I hope they catch up to him and end it soonest without further loss/injury to our guys.

6. Sadly I am indeed old enough and had the hono(u)r on several occasions. As is often the case with suych iconic figures he was an extremely quiet and meek fellow.

7. SO very true. It is too often a (fatal) failing to underestimate one's enemy and especially in so-called asymmetric or now I suppose "irregular" warfare where the technologically superior force begins to think all their gizmos make them bulletproof. As you sagely observe, if one has served , and especially in infantry, sapper or airmobile units they will tell a different tale. One can meet his or her end just as easily from a 7.62 bullet fired from an ancient and rarely cleaned Kalashnikov or a bit of ammonium nitrate or HE melted from one of our own artillery projos in a plastic milk container as from one of our more elegant engines of death.

8. Indeed! And the public mind seems to acquire sanitised versions of the fighting and privations of any war, in which sniping becomes a duel and the vicious clashes of flesh against detonation driven metal merely a macabre dance with shadowy figures about whom little is known.

9. The enemy does indeed possess a certain low animal cunning and should never be underestimated, the shot between the firing slit however isn't as dificult as the press portray, a decent scope, a decent rifle with a patient shooter waiting for a slow moving target to cross a fixed point of aim is within the capabilities of a lot of marksmen.

We shouldn't underestimate the f*ckers... but by the same token we shouldn't big em up... it was a clever shoot... but not a particularily difficult one.

10. Are you also a poet in between fiddling with very dangerous toys?

11. The Afghans & tribes of the old NW Fontier have always had a reputation for sharp shooting, see :-
    "Two thousand pounds of education drops to a ten-rupee jezail." - - Rudyard Kipling

12. As an analyst briefing a battlegroup CO I was chastised for using the word sniper. Scares the troops apparently. I was then booted of of the briefing room for replying "I am sure a 7.62 round to the head is a lot scarier, who cares what we call him?"

C'est La Vie. I was necky back then but I still stand by my comments. A sniper is a sniper and disguising the language isn't going to stop anyone getting the good news.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Once you start involving morale boosting spin, with giving the boys a realistic briefing, you are at the top of a very slippery slope.

Sod scaring troops on the ground, just give them an accurate picture of the current threat. I can't remember anyone trying to pretend that the Barrett teams didn't exist in NI.

14. His book is an amazing read. Very sad that the Corps couldn't swing it to let him serve his time out. You can't replace experience like that.