Sniper ammunition

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Scrungy, Mar 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading the article in the Daily Express this morning about the British sniper who took out 2 taliban with one shot (Good lad !!!). - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: A single bullet from a British marksman and two Taliban fall dead

The question was raised about the colour coding of the 7.62 round used by snipers. Is it true that the round has a blue band around the projectile or casing to show its high quality or such like?

Can anyone, in the know, please enlighten us? We would be eternally grateful :)
  2. I really would hope not, blue indicates either practice or drill (deep Saxe blue).

Higher quality rounds are historically denoted by a spot on the internal packaging. So far this has been black or green spot ammunition and is often referred to as such.
  3. That raises the question just how much better is the green dot? I can remember using the 7.62 green dot at Bisley decades ago, whether it was any better was difficult if not impossible to determine.

PS Dingerr your signature is interesting!
  4. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

The first hundred or so rounds of each batch made are designated green spot/sniper ammunition.
  5. No longer 7.62mm for Snipers in theatre. 8.59mm is the in service ammunition, no codings or markings on it.

Green Spot is very old school and is only really referred to by the old and the bold. Ammunition now comes specifically designed and manafactured for Sniper Weapons. It's all in the grain you see...
  6. I remember someone telling me it was actually the batch that came off after the tool had made an initial quantity after the first couple of hundred or so, it had bedded in so was working to its optimum tolerance.

However it could be complete horse poop.
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

No that's quit true, or it was in the days of the ROF they also used a slightly different propellant in some batches
  8. It is. I am not sure about the Sharpshooter ammo, but Sniper ammo is specifically manafactured for that role.
  9. Thats the story, but there was clearly a wide variation in RG quality output across the years and batches. I shoot a lot of RG 7.62mm in optimised rifles (heavy barrel Enfields), and it is clear that some batch dates are far better than others, whether they are green spot/ black spot or normal ball. E.g. RG89 normal ball and ex-link seems to be just as good as boxed Green Spot "target ammunition" (as it was branded by RORG for a while), whereas RG90 normal ball out of cartons is very mediocre in performance.
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Way back in the 60s my rifle club had a few members who worked in the local ROF they told me that there was a certain amount of competition between the different factories as to who made the better ammunition, and a lot of school of Infantry types could tell right off which factory ammunition was from by the batch numbers
  11. Where's Tropper when you need him? He invented the "Sniper"
  12. When I started Sniping it was with a F@cking Sling
  13. ******* Biblical Times Walt.
  14. F@ck off. I'm the fourth illegitimate son of Eve and the Devil, 66 is two thirds of the sign of the beast
  15. I'd have thought it would be 222?