Sniper 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone read this book?

I've just finished it and think it's an absolute cracking read. It fully grips you from start to finish and after you flip every page you think about the ordeal our lads are facing over there.

I fully recommend it. 5/5.

Fully agree with you. some very brave men there.

Why wasn't this covered in the press? Or does the government not want us to know how tough it was out there for our troops.

Just finished it as well...a belter of a read with some brave men stuck there. It's bad enough with just the mortars coming in, but the amount of small arms with it as well must have been a nightmare. I would have loved to be there for the 500lb bomb being dropped though.

Probably best book i have read in a few years,

gripping, intense, and funny in some places with the typical squaddie humour. read it from start to finish in 6 days well worth it.

Vandyke it has been covered by the sun newspaper, soldier mag and combat and survival

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Am I the only one who was a smidge disappointed?

Yes, cracking read, yes, full of heroism, yes, full of derring do, yes, full of magnificent slottings . . . but . . . where's all the tales of derring SNIPING?

He writes a good book, but I think he is a Sniper Walt.

I was hoping that it would read something along the lines of a moderm Vietnam snipy blerk (can't remember his name) who slotted loads of slanty chavs from HUGE distances whilst getting his uber rocks off.

chimera

LE
Biped said:

Yes, cracking read, yes, full of heroism, yes, full of derring do, yes, full of magnificent slottings . . . but . . . where's all the tales of derring SNIPING?

Probably because the ghost writer was actually our "friend" Tom Newton-Dunn of the Sun.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
chimera said:
Biped said:

Probably because the ghost writer was actually our "friend" Tom Newton-Dunn of the Sun.
Aaah, well that explains it then. Never let a good story get in the way of the title.

Edited to add: yes, Sgt Dan Mills comes across as completely nails. Good drills.

watto135 said:
Probably best book i have read in a few years,

gripping, intense, and funny in some places with the typical squaddie humour. read it from start to finish in 6 days well worth it.

Vandyke it has been covered by the sun newspaper(scum), soldier mag(not really available to joe blogs) and combat and survival(walts only)
My Bold above,
Lets hope it is made into a movie, although hollywood will probably emphasis the Yank CAS. and forget the snipers were actually british.

ugly

LE
A good read and aimed at those for whom large type is obviously the way to go. Took me 2 days at work to read it but I will now buy it and re read again. I definetly enjoyed the bit where the OPTAG pair came out!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've been lauding it's praises everywhere. One of those books I couldn't put down, but didn't want to finish.

Writing style was good, clear and quite straightforward. Excellent read.

A great read, funny as feck in places had me cackling with glee. A mad mad tour

Not finished it yet but gonna be cracked this evening

PS. Just read in foreign fields, interesting to see the different perspectives of the situation from different blokes

Biped said:

I was hoping that it would read something along the lines of a moderm Vietnam snipy blerk (can't remember his name) who slotted loads of slanty chavs from HUGE distances whilst getting his uber rocks off.
Carlos Hathcock perchance? Sniper walt? His former CSM now works in my company and speaks very highly of the lad.

Yep, a very good read and definately worth a look.

However, there was one instance when Dan contradicted his own words. One was when they used two Minimis to take out some insurgents in open ground, using scores of rounds, yet they had their "longs" with them and could have made sure (maybe it was the a heat of the moment thing) but in the beginning of the book he states that a true sniper is dedicated to one shot one kill. Not slagging his choice of weapon, but would love to know why that particular decision was made.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Alec_Lomas said:
Biped said:

Carlos Hathcock perchance? Sniper walt? His former CSM now works in my company and speaks very highly of the lad.
Carlos Hathcock - yes, that's the chappie. The 'Sniper Walt' jibe was merely a joke. He'd probably be the first to agree that he would have liked to get a lot more sniping in during that tour.

You mean a film about how the poor Brits were only saved by 'merkin airpower, and they would have been screwed if it want for the 'merkin sniper with a .50 cal. and about how they were relieved and rescued by brave 'merkin forces breaking through the Iraqi lines...

Might be better leaving the story alone I reckon!

I think this sums up a true sniper

A great answer to a dumb question!!

Katie Couric, of American CBS News programme, while interviewing a Royal Marine sniper in Afghanistan, asked:

"What do you feel when you shoot a Taliban Fighter?"

The Marine shrugged and replied,

"A slight recoil."
Hard to fault a Marine who is that eloquent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ord_Sgt Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1
E The NAAFI Bar 18
S Army Reserve 10