Sniper 1

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Ritch, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone read this book?

I've just finished it and think it's an absolute cracking read. It fully grips you from start to finish and after you flip every page you think about the ordeal our lads are facing over there.

I fully recommend it. 5/5.

[​IMG]

2. Fully agree with you. some very brave men there.

Why wasn't this covered in the press? Or does the government not want us to know how tough it was out there for our troops.

3. Just finished it as well...a belter of a read with some brave men stuck there. It's bad enough with just the mortars coming in, but the amount of small arms with it as well must have been a nightmare. I would have loved to be there for the 500lb bomb being dropped though.

4. Probably best book i have read in a few years,

gripping, intense, and funny in some places with the typical squaddie humour. read it from start to finish in 6 days well worth it.

Vandyke it has been covered by the sun newspaper, soldier mag and combat and survival

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Am I the only one who was a smidge disappointed?

Yes, cracking read, yes, full of heroism, yes, full of derring do, yes, full of magnificent slottings . . . but . . . where's all the tales of derring SNIPING?

He writes a good book, but I think he is a Sniper Walt.

I was hoping that it would read something along the lines of a moderm Vietnam snipy blerk (can't remember his name) who slotted loads of slanty chavs from HUGE distances whilst getting his uber rocks off.

6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Probably because the ghost writer was actually our "friend" Tom Newton-Dunn of the Sun.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Aaah, well that explains it then. Never let a good story get in the way of the title.

Edited to add: yes, Sgt Dan Mills comes across as completely nails. Good drills.

8. My Bold above,
    Lets hope it is made into a movie, although hollywood will probably emphasis the Yank CAS. and forget the snipers were actually british.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A good read and aimed at those for whom large type is obviously the way to go. Took me 2 days at work to read it but I will now buy it and re read again. I definetly enjoyed the bit where the OPTAG pair came out!

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I've been lauding it's praises everywhere. One of those books I couldn't put down, but didn't want to finish.

Writing style was good, clear and quite straightforward. Excellent read.

11. A great read, funny as feck in places had me cackling with glee. A mad mad tour

Not finished it yet but gonna be cracked this evening

12. PS. Just read in foreign fields, interesting to see the different perspectives of the situation from different blokes

13. Carlos Hathcock perchance? Sniper walt? His former CSM now works in my company and speaks very highly of the lad.

14. Yep, a very good read and definately worth a look.

However, there was one instance when Dan contradicted his own words. One was when they used two Minimis to take out some insurgents in open ground, using scores of rounds, yet they had their "longs" with them and could have made sure (maybe it was the a heat of the moment thing) but in the beginning of the book he states that a true sniper is dedicated to one shot one kill. Not slagging his choice of weapon, but would love to know why that particular decision was made.

15. Don't be such a picky cnut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.