Snider enfield rifle

#1
Does anyone know anything about this rifle? Ive been offered one at what seems a reasonable price and would just like to know a bit more about it, current value, legislation on keeping one (its over a hundred years old) and legalities on storage etc. I do have pics and can post them later when I get home from work.
 
#2
Is the lock plate dated?
Is it two band, three band or a carbine?
What Mk is it? (usually found stamped on the knox form)
Is there a retailers name on it?

Over!
 
#3
I think the date on it is 1867 (not 100%), its a three band and the Lee Enfield name is on the right hand side, sorry dont really have much more info and the pics only show a general shot. It also has arabic inscriptions on it (It was purchased in Kabul).
 
#4
It's probably the genuine thing, although I hope it just says "Enfield" and not "Lee" Enfield as that didn't come into service as the Lee Metford" until 1888. If it does say "Lee" Enfield then it's a "Kyber Pass Special".

Value for Sniders in the UK is dependant on whether it's in a condition that you could fire it.
Assuming it's in .577 than it's section 58 of the firearms act and listed as an obsolete calibre, (Ask EX_STAB or UGLY for more details about the firearms act)
Bear in mind that these people are at the top end of the retail http://www.fultonsofbisley.com/antiques/antique_stock_top.htm figure and I would imagine that there a lot "coming home", especially over the pond which might dampen the value seen in recent years.
 
#5
Cheers HT, it does say Lee Enfield so im assuming now that its a fake then?
It looks as though it is in fireable condition however I think it does look a bit too good to be 144 years old!
 
#6
It's still an interesting wall hanger; here's a bit of Kipling to soften the blow.

The Grave of the Hundred Head
There's a widow in sleepy Chester
Who weeps for her only son;
There's a grave on the Pabeng River,
A grave that the Burmans shun;
And there's Subadar Prag Tewarri
Who tells how the work was done.

A Snider squibbed in the jungle,
Somebody laughed and fled,
And the men of the First Shikaris
Picked up their Subaltern dead,
With a big blue mark in his forehead
And the back blown out of his head.

Subadar Prag Tewarri,
Jemadar Hira Lal,
Took command of the party,
Twenty rifles in all,
Marched them down to the river
As the day was beginning to fall.

They buried the boy by the river,
A blanket over his face --
They wept for their dead Lieutenant,
The men of an alien race --
They made a samadh in his honor,
A mark for his resting-place.

For they swore by the Holy Water,
They swore by the salt they ate,
That the soul of Lieutenant Eshmitt Sahib
Should go to his God in state,
With fifty file of Burmans
To open him Heaven's gate.

The men of the First Shikaris
Marched till the break of day,
Till they came to the rebel village,
The village of Pabengmay --
A jingal covered the clearing,
Calthrops hampered the way.

Subadar Prag Tewarri,
Bidding them load with ball,
Halted a dozen rifles
Under the village wall;
Sent out a flanking-party
With Jemadar Hira Lal.

The men of the First Shikaris
Shouted and smote and slew,
Turning the grinning jingal
On to the howling crew.
The Jemadar's flanking-party
Butchered the folk who flew.

Long was the morn of slaughter,
Long was the list of slain,
Five score heads were taken,
Five score heads and twain;
And the men of the First Shickaris
Went back to their grave again,

Each man bearing a basket
Red as his palms that day,
Red as the blazing village --
The village of Pabengmay,
And the "drip-drip-drip" from the baskets
Reddened the grass by the way.

They made a pile of their trophies
High as a tall man's chin,
Head upon head distorted,
Set in a sightless grin,
Anger and pain and terror
Stamped on the smoke-scorched skin.

Subadar Prag Tewarri
Put the head of the Boh
On the top of the mound of triumph,
The head of his son below --
With the sword and the peacock-banner
That the world might behold and know.

Thus the samadh was perfect,
Thus was the lesson plain
Of the wrath of the First Shikaris --
The price of a white man slain;
And the men of the First Shikaris
Went back into camp again.

Then a silence came to the river,
A hush fell over the shore,
And Bohs that were brave departed,
And Sniders squibbed no more;
For the Burmans said
That a white man's head
Must be paid for with heads five-score.

There's a widow in sleepy Chester
Who weeps for her only son;
There's a grave on the Pabeng River,
A grave that the Burmans shun;
And there's Subadar Prag Tewarri
Who tells how the work was done.
 
#13
Mag_to_grid said:
ViolentBadger said:
WorldWide Arms are selling Sniders for £475 in excellent condition.

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm?p_n=312629&p_i=312629
That looks pretty much the same as the one ive been offered. Like HT says, could be an interesting wall hanger.
A copy of a Snider is:
A) Worth next to nothing.
B) Not an antique therefore not subject to the exception for antiques - you will need a firearm certificate to possess it.
 
#14
EX_STAB said:
Mag_to_grid said:
ViolentBadger said:
WorldWide Arms are selling Sniders for £475 in excellent condition.

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm?p_n=312629&p_i=312629
That looks pretty much the same as the one ive been offered. Like HT says, could be an interesting wall hanger.
A copy of a Snider is:
A) Worth next to nothing.
B) Not an antique therefore not subject to the exception for antiques - you will need a firearm certificate to possess it.
Ahem..if the copy was made aound the same time as the original it would be an antique.
 
#15
ViolentBadger said:
EX_STAB said:
Mag_to_grid said:
ViolentBadger said:
WorldWide Arms are selling Sniders for £475 in excellent condition.

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm?p_n=312629&p_i=312629
That looks pretty much the same as the one ive been offered. Like HT says, could be an interesting wall hanger.
A copy of a Snider is:
A) Worth next to nothing.
B) Not an antique therefore not subject to the exception for antiques - you will need a firearm certificate to possess it.
Ahem..if the copy was made around the same time as the original it would be an antique.
We've already established that it is a fake. dating from after the introduction of the Lee Enfield circa 1898. It's a racing certainty that it's been made in the last five years.

Really old snider copies might be of some interest but they're still not worth much.
 
#16
Mag_to_grid said:
Does anyone know anything about this rifle? Ive been offered one at what seems a reasonable price and would just like to know a bit more about it, current value, legislation on keeping one (its over a hundred years old) and legalities on storage etc. I do have pics and can post them later when I get home from work.

Mag check you PM.s
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top