SNCO/NCO on Tour

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by vds01, Dec 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the thoughts out there towards SNCO/NCO's who are unable to go on an operational tour due to work/family/health reasons;

Do they;
    Still have the repect of their peers?

Still have the ability to train/train with troops?

Should they;
    Retrain to keep current (How do you train for someone shooting at you)?

Be moved on to enable troops to be led by someone with experience?

I know that there may be some w@nkers out there who do dodge, but this relates to the better NCO's who are still willing to put in the training time.
  2. Going back to the late 80s and early 90s before all the troubles in
    the Middle East, we had a Sgt Maj who had not even be out to N.I and that was an infantry Regt.
    Same situation as you’re talking about, we thought no different of him without operational experience, certainly no need to retrain.
    As for the TA deployment bit, every soldier is in different circumstances
    whether it is domestic, work, health issues, everyone plays their part in the bigger picture whether they deploy or not.
  3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Not sure how you can take part in the bigger picture if you are unable to deploy and if you are unable to deploy to do a military commitment why would you be in the TA. I hope it is not just for the bounty :?
  4. You've obvioulsy got a personal issue with this individual. Why don't you take it up with him face to face instead of trying see if others on here wil support your spiteful little campaign, you immature little man.

Or are you scared that he will he punch f*ck out of you if you do?
  5. elovabloke, bigger picture i.e. when a Btn or Reg get deployed they never all go. There is an abundance of tasks, jobs commitments back in unit,
    If you do not deploy it does not mean you are not doing your part or giving the TA 100%
  6. Biscuits AB
    Thanks for your considered reply.........

It is a question not a witch hunt.

What if I am the NCO in question (No I am not a bounty hunter....)

Let me guess your reply

Would it be "F@ck Off and stop wasting time & money"

Once again Thanks
  7. I met a few NCOs who haven’t been able to deploy for work related reasons (their employers won’t let them), there’s no shame in that and they’re still important assets to the TA. I think one of them has finally deployed now so good on him.
    First and foremost family, work, and health must come before the TA.

Saying that I also know of someone whom strikes me as a complete tool who has admitted to trench dodging, but this person struck me as a tool before I found that out.
  8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

From that I take it that they may not be willing to deploy to an operational theatre but are willing to join an operation unit to act as rear party allowing those trained within the unit to deplot and carryout operational tasks? If they are not able to do either I am a little baffled as to why they would wish to undertake military training just to run around at the weekends doing it with the normal SAS elite :?
  9. No need to thank me. Now off you go and 'consider' what it was you hoped to achieve here.

As for guessing my reply? Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
  10. Well if he is a good nco blokes should respect him anyway.Spending
    6 months in iraq/afgan just to prove a point seems a bit odd.
    If your asked to go repeatdly and cant go guess you have to have a word with yourself ,but, otherwise the ta needs all types .
  11. Interesting question m8. There are perfectly legit reasons why some can't make it so wouldn't judge too much. The NCOs with experience both atts and ops were suitably intelligent to use their experience to the benefit of others and I recall never lauded it.
  12. msr

msr LE

I seems to me that as a SNCO it is unlikely that you will be required forl mobilised service.

13. MSR- Think again on that one old son.

In reply to the original post there is no easy answer. It depends on the bloke.

Though I will say I have come across people at all ranks who are unwilling to mobilise. There is a big difference between "unwilling" and "unable".

Unable = Family or work preclude it. But if the opportuntiy arose and circumstances permitted they would go. Obviously good people who do want to serve it whatever capacity possible.

Unwilling = Should leave and take up some other "casual" :pissedoff: occupation.

I would also suggest that there are all sorts of opportunities to deploy nowadays. It may not necessarily be in your arm or trade, but if you want to deploy the odds are with you.
  14. on the other hand it must be hard for a TA SNCO that hasn't done a tour in recent years. I know of JNCOs that have done 3 in different theatres, but being young 'uns they didn't have the same family or financial commitments as their elders. I don't think that "them and medal-wearing us" is going to be good for the moral of seniors who still deserve to be where they are.
  15. If you really want to do a tour, then surely you would drop a rank? I have caught out a number of people with rank with that comment. They then come out with another excuse why they can't do a tour!