Snco mess dress allowance

Just hoping someone can confirm what I have just been informed by my FSA.
I purchased my mess dress on promotion to lcpl in 2007 due to the unit I was then attached to saying I had to have it.
I have just been promoted to Sgt and after reading jsp 752 went to see my FSA to claim for my mess dress allowance.
He then told me that I can't not claim it due to purchasing it before I was promoted to Sgt and would have to produce a receipt dated after the day I was promoted to claim.
Any help or direction is much appreciated.

It would have to be from one of the big company's i.e costellios. And to be honest can't really make our own receipts can we

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I see where you going, good call will see my FSA tomorrow thanks for help. Don't think it says anything about the mess dress having to be new in the JSP.

That doesn't sound right to me. Have a look at JSP 752 yourself to make sure.

Just hoping someone can confirm what I have just been informed by my FSA.
I purchased my mess dress on promotion to lcpl in 2007 due to the unit I was then attached to saying I had to have it.
I have just been promoted to Sgt and after reading jsp 752 went to see my FSA to claim for my mess dress allowance.
He then told me that I can't not claim it due to purchasing it before I was promoted to Sgt and would have to produce a receipt dated after the day I was promoted to claim.
Any help or direction is much appreciated.
That sounds about right, unfortunately. You need to read JSP 752 closer (my bold)!

08.0401. Aim. The aim of the SNCO Mess Dress Uniform Provision is to equip newly-promoted Sgts with a mess dress uniform that is required to be worn as a member of the WO/SNCOs’ Mess when attending formal functions or as required by the Services when on duty. To achieve this all Army JNCOs promoted to acting paid or substantive Sgt rank on or after 1 Apr 09 will initially receive a one-off financial contribution towards the purchase and upkeep of Mess Dress uniform obtained from non-Service sources.
So you've brought your Mess Dress prior to this date (i.e. 2007) so can't claim for it. However, because you have been promoted to SNCO rank, there is technically nothing stopping you buying another set now, reclaiming the cost of the new set (because it was brought after Apr 09) and then trying to reclaim the cost of your old set via a private sale or e-Bay!

Good luck!

That line doesn't say anything about when you buy it. It says promoted after 2009 you can claim. If I had bought it in 2010 I still could not claim for it according to my FSA

Honkytonkman

Clanker
I bought my mess dress as an acting Sgt. This was before this allowance came in. Then when I was promoted to substansive Sgt I applied for and got the allowance. Whether I bought it previously or not isn't the issue. The issue is when you are promoted. That is what it states in the JSP.

That line doesn't say anything about when you buy it. It says promoted after 2009 you can claim. If I had bought it in 2010 I still could not claim for it according to my FSA

Does it say in the JSP 'on production of a receipt'?

partyr

Old-Salt
Tell your FSA he is a nomark JSP Jockey. So long as you were promoted after Apr 09, can produce proof of payment, he is to reimburse your expense upto the amounts alloted for your Corps/Regt. Pffft, the nomark!!!

He still saying I can't. Is there anyone who knows who I can contact to get clarification on this. The way I read the jsp is that I can claim as long as I have a receipt.

I know at RMAS the payment went in to your bank account, the only thing you needed was mess dress. The way I read the JSP, you get your payment regardless of receipt or indeed, actual proof of mess dress.

Also, payment says it is for upkeep, say you need it the allowance for tailoring/cleaning etc.

will initially receive a one-off financial contribution towards the purchase and upkeep of Mess Dress uniform
No receipt required. It's a one-off fixed contribution. If you haven't got one, it's for the purchase of. If you have got one, it's for the maintenance of.

End of.

Any trouble, post his username.

He still saying I can't. Is there anyone who knows who I can contact to get clarification on this. The way I read the jsp is that I can claim as long as I have a receipt.

Speak to the RAWO or the RAO.

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt
Or put in a service complaint!

That sounds about right, unfortunately. You need to read JSP 752 closer (my bold)!

So you've brought your Mess Dress prior to this date (i.e. 2007) so can't claim for it. However, because you have been promoted to SNCO rank, there is technically nothing stopping you buying another set now, reclaiming the cost of the new set (because it was brought after Apr 09) and then trying to reclaim the cost of your old set via a private sale or e-Bay!

Good luck!
Its doesnt say you have to produce a receipt though, I claimed mine upon promotion (as did everyone else) and didn't bother buying it for over 6 months afterwards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Forces Discounts 7
T Army Pay, Claims & JPA 2
P Int Corps 1

Latest Threads