Snapping dog problem - Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My missus's daschund has started snapping at the kids and I'm unsure of the best way to tackle the problem. It's not a totally new problem, but it's definitely getting worse, it used to be that he'd start barking and snap at the kids if they were running around playing in the house, but now they don't have to be doing anything in particular. Last week he tried to bite my youngest as she walked past, and today he bit my son just below the eye as he bent down to clap him.

The dog isn't always like this and often plays fine with the kids, but it's not on if he bites them, so we may have to get rid of him if we can't cure him of it.

He was three before I met the missus, so he hasn't grown up with kids in the house. I realise it's a social heirarchy thing, so I'm not sure that going with my first impulse and knocking seven bells of shit out of him every time he growls at the kids will help, and I don't think that it's a good idea to have the kids do it.

So, any advice as to what we can do?

2. msr

msr LE

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Sorry are you suggesting feeding the kids to the "sausage dog"?

Im no expert, but wont that take a while? best bet here is to get a donghanlder to assist.
  4. Boots, liberally applied. It works. Who is the boss in your house? You or some hairy mutt?
  5. Buy and use a muzzle when the kids are around TT.
    Every 10 mins or so, remove the muzzle for a few minutes, if nothing untoward happens, give a treat. If it snaps again while the muzzle is off, immediately put the muzzle back on with no treat and a tapped nose.
    After a few times of this, the problem should be resolved.
    As for the dog, i have no idea :lol:
  6. get a donghanlder to assist.

A what!! a dong handler 'eh. How will that help? :D
  7. shotgun/gas box best solution to a biting dog.
  8. " Dog Whisperer" is on Sky 3 at the moment if you are to much of a wuss to take control of the animal.
  9. Bossy, you beat me to it!

It worked after about 3 days with Branston, he was roughly 18 months when he started snapping at you as you walked by.
  10. Nice boots Girlie, if that is you on your avatar. I thnk something much heavier with steel toe caps are much better for canine correction.
  11. Oh I don't know Trowel, those boots are pretty pointy, I wouldn't like them hitting my plums at a high velocity.
  12. Point taken Tommo, but the Dachsund in question might be a bitch, could be messy
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

yam old it down an tuther bloke whacks a foooking gert big rubber dong up its arrse it'll be so brain foooked it'll remain in shock the rest of its life. t'ra a bit!