Smutty photos of naked Royal Navy SSBN in Drydock...

jim30

LE
If you go to the link here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...eleased-by-mod-week-commencing-5-january-2015 and scroll down past various moonbat FOI requests, you'll come across one asking for pictures of RN 'Resolution' class SSBNs in dry dock. There are a total of 8 photos there, including the one below.

Thought it might float the boat of our more depraved members...

P6012937_7.jpg

Ooooh its in rosyth! all the submarines from rosyth are right dirty scutters.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

HE117

LE
Some interesting other requests there...

I never knew there were pipe mines covering beaches in East Lothian!

8-O

Some interesting other requests there...

I never knew there were pipe mines covering beaches in East Lothian!

8-O

"Operation Crabstick" :cool:

One of the more awesome sights that I remember from my time in the Corps, was doing wandering patrol around a Vanguard Class that was out of the oggin on the ship lift. The size of that thing was simply amazing, yet alone the fact that they had managed to lift it out of the water.

For the stupid, but what are the recesses for underneath the hull? photo 4 I think.

Even submarines need an anchor.....

Those phots are of one of the R boats during their occasional survey and remediation dockings, taken in the entrance lock in Rosyth. Surprisingly helpful FoI response, given it's basically for a model builder.

Yokel

LE
Even submarines need an anchor.....

Those phots are of one of the R boats during their occasional survey and remediation dockings, taken in the entrance lock in Rosyth. Surprisingly helpful FoI response, given it's basically for a model builder.

A model eh? What was she in?

Well; thats Chinas new submarine plans sorted then.

NSP

LE
I've been into Rosyth a few times. All those subs tied up there - what's the score? Someone on my shippy thing said they were mothballed pending decommissioning before becoming Gillette products but there seems to be enough of them there to constitute a good sized fleet.

Are they all really old diesel attack boats or is there any modern attack/missile stuff there and is any of it - gulp! - nuclear powered...?

All seven boats at Rosyth and the dozen or so at Devonport are decommissioned nuclear boats. They have all been defuelled and the reactor compartments emptied of the vast majority of high-level waste. They are kept afloat, because the reactor PV and some elements of its pipework contains small amounts of HL waste which require storage in the so-called national nuclear repository. Trouble is, that's been "under discussion" for the best part of twenty years without (as yet) resolution (sorry). All the boats are subject to periodic maintenance and docking to keep them structurally sound, but are otherwise left alone.

Because both Rosyth and Devonport (in particular) are now running out of space to keep them, the Submarine Dismantling Project is moving ahead and will see one of the R-class bombers dismantled at Rosyth as a trial to test procedures and identify any issues arising. Once the reactor PV is disposed of, the rest of the boat can be scrapped conventionally. The US have done literally dozens of theirs, but have the advantage of a large trench in the Hanford Nuclear reservation to store them on land.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jYVl__lRp...6E/KN5XrRqW_m0/s1600/HanfordSubRxCompPics.jpg

surely cheaper to send the bits to the yanks and pay to put them there?

Ooooh its in rosyth! all the submarines from rosyth are right dirty scutters.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
...and full of se[a]men

Latest Threads