Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Smuts Bks

I'm after a bit of knowledge from those who served in Smuts Bks, Berlin, during the late 80's. When the Chieftains were driven from Smuts Bks did they leave via the main gate or was there a easier\quicker way for them to get out? TIA.

I'm after a bit of knowledge from those who served in Smuts Bks, Berlin, during the late 80's. When the Chieftains were driven from Smuts Bks did they leave via the main gate or was there a easier\quicker way for them to get out? TIA.

I was there mid 80’s

IIRC they left out of the other, newer gate that was the other side of the Officers’ Mess. I think it was a bit wider and was easier to turn into.

15/19H had two Squadrons cover squadrons of 14/20H in 1989 while the latter squadrons attended Hohne Ranges. I've put your question to them on our Facebook group. Wait out.

Both on Wilhelmstrasse, the other gate was about 200yds southwest of the main gate. Usually locked and unmanned in April 1990.

The road is clearly visible on Google Earth but Streetview doesn't go to the second gate.

You’re quite right. Wilhelm Strasse it is.

I should have looked for Hessco’s...

I’ve just had a look on Google Maps.

God it’s changed...

I think it might have been Gatower Strasse. The barracks seems to have gone. Along with the BFO ammo compound.
I suspect you're looking at the wrong place. The ammo compound is still there. West of Spandau Prison.

I wouldn't be surprised that you don't recognise the place. It looks as though the brothel has been pulled down to make way for the bus station.

I was there mid 80’s

IIRC they left out of the other, newer gate that was the other side of the Officers’ Mess. I think it was a bit wider and was easier to turn into.

I have seen them go out of the main gate once, hard left Stick and watch the cobbles fly, :razz: around about 1982-3 ish 4/7 RDG. sidenote the Sqn Leader was resonsible for trialing the Urban 'Grey White, blueish and Brown Cam.

Two replies.
Both intimate it was a side gate, tank park side onto the main drag.
Main drag being Wilhelmstrasse? Or somehow onto Heerstrasse?

The alternate Wilhelmstrasse gate had a second guardroom (still visible on Earth, partly hidden by trees) which my Team occupied as OC's/Team Office for a fortnight, which suggests it had regular use pre-1990.