Smudger Smith BEM 1st October 1941 - 31st May 2006

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by diehard57, May 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sadly former WO2 (CSM) Brian George 'Smudger' Smith BEM died this afternoon from lung cancer.

Smudger joined the TA at Hornsey, north London, as a boy soldier in 1958 and served until 1993 in no less than 6 battalions - the 7th and 5th Bns. of the Middlesex Regiment (DCO), the 5th and 6th/7th Bns. of the Queen's Regiment, 8th Queen's Fusiliers and the London Regiment.

If you knew Smudger you'll know that the mould was definately broken when he was made and the world will be a quieter place without him.

Our thoughts are with his wife Liz, daughters Jane and Wendy, the grandchildren and other members of the family.

Smudge, God bless - we'll miss you.

The Queen's Regimental Association (PWRR) Middlesex Branch

2. God's Speed, Smudger.

I can still recall being called "dog's breath" on more than one occasion.

He was definately old school and one of the best.

RIP, mate.

3. Sounds like a good bloke RIP

4. R.I.P. Sir

5. He was a true Territorial; privileged to have served with him. RIP

6. Never served with him but I remember him well from Regimental Functions in which the association was invited.

A top chap indeed.

Rest in Peace

7. Rest in Peace m8

Sincere regards to the family you left behind,

Flip

8. RIP, Sir.

9. Damn I’ve only just picked up on this thread, I never served with Smudge but worked with him on Civi Street. A Great bloke he once showed me a commemorative Cartoon of him self that his then Bn (5th Queen’s I think) had done to commemorate a famous incident where Smudge got pissed on a Bn smoker at the end of a camp and fell head first into the Bn Sh1t pit coming up like the mud man of Borneo. Any one witnesses this event?

God Bless Smudge you will be missed.

10. I knew Smudge from my beginnings at B Coy 6/7th Queens at Edgware. He was definitely one of the company characters. He will be missed.
    RIP mate.