SMS Scharnhorst found

I assume that the wreck is still the property of the German Govt? The ships sunk at Scapa Flow were salvaged by the UK Govt, at Versailles other German warships not covered by the ships interned under the 11 Nov armistice were allocated to various Allied countries and the Weimar Republic permitted to maintain a small navy with what remained. Ownership of wrecks of German ships sunk during hostilities were not covered? However in 1919 any suggestion that this ship could be located and pictured would have been science fiction!

So if the Chinese pitch up it will be a problem for Mutti M?

True-but they are designated war graves. Which is a bit off.
Yes, but that's not a concept that translates into Chinese or Shelta. It's only the depth that protects them. Once the technology is capable of recovering the metal at a profit, they'll be gone.

The conscription of the Schleswig Danes is still a bone of contention in Denmark.
I'd heard rumors of it, but Schleswig is close to Oldenburg and IRC it was always regarded as German but that area chopped and changed so much since the 30 years war that no one will ever agree. Schleswig forms part of the Angel which the Germans had incorporated in the Der Lied der Deutschen, that designated Germany "Von die Angel bis die Heck" ….and then something to the Memel.... The Danes also had an input into Friesia, but they are also regarded as German.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I assume that the wreck is still the property of the German Govt? The ships sunk at Scapa Flow were salvaged by the UK Govt, at Versailles other German warships not covered by the ships interned under the 11 Nov armistice were allocated to various Allied countries and the Weimar Republic permitted to maintain a small navy with what remained. Ownership of wrecks of German ships sunk during hostilities were not covered? However in 1919 any suggestion that this ship could be located and pictured would have been science fiction!

So if the Chinese pitch up it will be a problem for Mutti M?
Tbe UK Government didn't salvage the ships in Scapa, they sold them to a man named Cox who raised them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
redshift The NAAFI Bar 190
eye_spy Int Corps 0
CplFoodspoiler The NAAFI Bar 283

Latest Threads