Smoking pipes in uniform!?!

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by flowerpower, Nov 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happened on thurs in a large garrison in Northern England. Stood and watched an Officer walking along a main road merrily puffing away on a pipe, now I know what would happen if it were an OR doing this.

My question is, is there some obscure regulation which allows this for our esteemed leaders?
  2. Was there weed in it?
  3. Well he was not smiling and eating snacks so I am assuming no
  4. We have a tradition that the senior gman in one of the rifle companies can smoke a pipe and grow a pony tail.
  5. We had a Troopy in the Gulf who 'affected' a pipe as he thought wrongly that it gave him airs,looked a complete tw*t instead!-pipes for old farts or Officer tw*ts who think it makes them look eccentric and olde worlde.
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Used to be a piece in QRs that allowed anyone who smoked a pipe to do so in uniform and on duty. Can't recall the passage and can't be bothered to check, but I do recall it happening. And, although I smoke a pipe, I never tried it.
  7. I assume than even in the modern navy that when "Stand Easy" [NAAFI break to pongos] is piped on board a ship then "Out Pipes" is still broadcast on the SRS to the ship's company when standeasy is over.
    [Or is than another bit of tradition that has been binned?]
  8. I am quite partial to my pipe being smoked in public.

Dogging I think its called..................
  9. [​IMG]

Nuff said.
  10. I liked to hear "Up Spirits" but that has long gone
  11. woody smokes a pipe on ex .
    but his is an old fart :twisted:
  12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I'd heard it was in QR's also as a couple of blokes started smoking pipes to wind up the bagde man a few years back.
  13. think I remember something along the lines you could smoke a pipe in uniform as long as the "pot" of the pipe had a lid/cover on it, something to do with night and not seeing flames/smoke etc hence pipes allowed but not ciggies or cigars, or there again might have dreamt the whole thing
  14. You can/could smoke a pipe on the march if (i think) you could keep it alight or some other randomness. In slivovo my section all adopted the pipe, big sidies and cigars in holders

The badge while visiting thought we'd gone feral, were having too much fun and spent the next two months changing us all out to pristina to stop us "becoming p=ss taking feckers"

what is it with adults and wanting to be in charge eh??
  15. I've looked through QRs and can't see anything about smoking does that mean you can do it because its not mentioned that you can't!!