Smoking Jacket

Discussion in 'Officers' started by richy4, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When is it correct/allowable to wear a smoking or velvet jacket for an evening function?

As a slight side note would you wear normal dinner jacket trousers with the jacket?

2. When you are appearing in a Paul Whitehouse sketch about the Duke of Wymbourne.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1876

The year, not the time.

4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I thought smoking jackets were worn at home in the library, along with embroidered slippers, for those occasions when a smart dressing gown would be too casual.

5. Smoking jackets have kind of died ever since it became an arrestable offence to be seen smoking in public.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Take no notice of these ruffians. It is perfectly acceptable to wear a smoking jacket to an 'evening function'. You may wear it with 'dinner jacket trousers' (whatever they might be), jeans or tights. The smoking jacket was much favored by Col. O Wilde who won the Battle of the Bulge.

Oscar-Wilde.jpg

7. Indeed so :)

Private or close friends though rather than any public function

Day trousers is fine, evening trousers fine. It is your home do as you wish!

A good accessory is a suitably attractive young woman as companion, and for those more mature among us, often I understand called "my niece who is staying for a while"

• Like Like x 1
  8. One also needs a young Moroccan boy to snip & light cigars...

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Col Wilde never had a problem wearing his smoking jacket at evening events, and he was nails.

wilde415.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. How very timely. I am in the middle of writing dinner invitations with dress code le smoking. In France however it only means dinner jacket ... I wonder if anyone will turn up in the real deal!

• Like Like x 1
  11. The first thing I thought when I read this was ...but smoking's banned in the smoking room! Then I realised I hadn't ever seen anyone wear a smoking jacket bar in comedy sketches and it would break Club rules (God forbid someone tries to wear it with a tie).

To answer your question: it's never appropriate.

A better question would be: when is it appropriate to wear red troussers?

12. Surely a smoking jacket is something that you change into after the conclusion of formalities?

I'd imagine that you'd wear it with whatever trews you already had on.

13. Col O wilde

[​IMG]

Miranda hart

14. I once had a smoking jacket ( Blazer ) , caused by placing my pipe , which I thought had extinguished , into the breast pocket of a Blazer and then hanging it on the back of my chair in a restaurant to start a meal ... after a few minutes I was advised by a pleasant waitress that my Blazer seemed to be about to burst into flames .

• Like Like x 1
  15. A blazing blazer.

At a wedding, clad in my own well cut and very smart Morning coat, I was leaning, in a very louche manner, over a lovely young thing (bridesmaid I believe). My entertaining and witty banter was rudely interrupted by some clown telling me that I was on fire. So determined had my advances on the blushing maiden been that I'd failed to notice the hefty candelabra that had ignited my coat tails. The observant brute nipped and in and bagged the bird, blast him.

• Like Like x 2