• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Smoking Jacket

When is it correct/allowable to wear a smoking or velvet jacket for an evening function?

As a slight side note would you wear normal dinner jacket trousers with the jacket?

I thought smoking jackets were worn at home in the library, along with embroidered slippers, for those occasions when a smart dressing gown would be too casual.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
When is it correct/allowable to wear a smoking or velvet jacket for an evening function?

As a slight side note would you wear normal dinner jacket trousers with the jacket?
Take no notice of these ruffians. It is perfectly acceptable to wear a smoking jacket to an 'evening function'. You may wear it with 'dinner jacket trousers' (whatever they might be), jeans or tights. The smoking jacket was much favored by Col. O Wilde who won the Battle of the Bulge.

Oscar-Wilde.jpg

Indeed so :)

Private or close friends though rather than any public function

Day trousers is fine, evening trousers fine. It is your home do as you wish!

A good accessory is a suitably attractive young woman as companion, and for those more mature among us, often I understand called "my niece who is staying for a while"

How very timely. I am in the middle of writing dinner invitations with dress code le smoking. In France however it only means dinner jacket ... I wonder if anyone will turn up in the real deal!

The first thing I thought when I read this was ...but smoking's banned in the smoking room! Then I realised I hadn't ever seen anyone wear a smoking jacket bar in comedy sketches and it would break Club rules (God forbid someone tries to wear it with a tie).

To answer your question: it's never appropriate.

A better question would be: when is it appropriate to wear red troussers?

Surely a smoking jacket is something that you change into after the conclusion of formalities?

I'd imagine that you'd wear it with whatever trews you already had on.

I once had a smoking jacket ( Blazer ) , caused by placing my pipe , which I thought had extinguished , into the breast pocket of a Blazer and then hanging it on the back of my chair in a restaurant to start a meal ... after a few minutes I was advised by a pleasant waitress that my Blazer seemed to be about to burst into flames .

I once had a smoking jacket ( Blazer ) , caused by placing my pipe , which I thought had extinguished , into the breast pocket of a Blazer and then hanging it on the back of my chair in a restaurant to start a meal ... after a few minutes I was advised by a pleasant waitress that my Blazer seemed to be about to burst into flames .
A blazing blazer.

At a wedding, clad in my own well cut and very smart Morning coat, I was leaning, in a very louche manner, over a lovely young thing (bridesmaid I believe). My entertaining and witty banter was rudely interrupted by some clown telling me that I was on fire. So determined had my advances on the blushing maiden been that I'd failed to notice the hefty candelabra that had ignited my coat tails. The observant brute nipped and in and bagged the bird, blast him.

Ah, you fell for the old candelabra trick?
Another victim falls.

Smoking jackets are probably only to be found in second hand shops and theatrical costume suppliers surely.

The last time I saw one worn in anger was at the Garth and South Berks Hunt Ball - hosted somewhat incautiously by the Staff College at Camberley. The sartorially ambitious young blade in question was an acquaintance of mine.

..and I distinctly remember the rosy cheeked buffoon sporting a shiny purple example of the aforementioned men's apparel. He may well have been chewing on a cigarette holder too for he was a real card. Unfortunately it was a riotous occasion and my memory's somewhat clouded.

What I do remember is the 'smoker' and his jacket parting company in the Gentleman's. Being in an advanced state of inebriation he'd staggered and fallen (post defecation)from one of the traps with his trousers around his ankles. What was immediately apparent, as he lay flapping on the floor, was that he'd unfortunately confused the loo paper with ends of his dress shirt.

This man is now a senior 'official' at the MoD.

P

PrinceAlbert

Smoking jackets are probably only to be found in second hand shops and theatrical costume suppliers surely.
Not at all. I was eyeing up some smoking jackets in a variety of tailors on Saville Row/Jermyn St only a few weeks back.

Not at all. I was eyeing up some smoking jackets in a variety of tailors on Saville Row/Jermyn St only a few weeks back.
Good Lord! When on earth would imagine you'd wear one?
Don't you suppose that sporting one whilst slumped on your thread bare 'settee' with your feet up on the paraffin heater as your nicotine stained fingers trace the form in the Racing Post is some what incongruous, old chap. The only smoking going on would be coming from your scorched plastic slippers.

Latest Threads