Smoking is Bad for Your Health and too Many People a Disgusting Habit

But does it justify the authorities to remove children from their legal parents....

http://news.sky.com/story/1494203/boy-taken-into-care-over-parents-smoking

A two-year-old boy has been taken from his parents after a health visitor raised concerns about cigarette smoke in the family home.

Health visitor Julie Allen told a family court judge that she had not come across such a "smoky house" in her 10-year career.

She said the child and his father had been surrounded by a "visible cloud of smoke" when she visited, making it difficult for her to breathe.

At the time, the boy had recently had an inhaler prescribed because of breathing problems.

Another social worker described how the child's toys and clothes "smelt heavily of smoke".

Judge Louise Pemberton, who was also told of other concerns about the way the youngster was being cared for, decided he should be placed for adoption.

Details of the case emerged in a written ruling by the judge following a family court hearing in Hull.
Has a very dangerous line being crossed or is this justifiable action?

I'm fairly certain the dangers of second hand smoke are either massively overestimated, or actually not entirely known, not sure which it was

If, as she claims, the house was genuinely smoky enough to cause a visiting adult breathing problems then she's done her job and removed a child from an unsafe home. If she's talking bollocks the parents can take social services to court and get their child back along with a probable payout.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

But does it justify the authorities to remove children from their legal parents....

http://news.sky.com/story/1494203/boy-taken-into-care-over-parents-smoking

Has a very dangerous line being crossed or is this justifiable action?
Good job she never came to my house when I was growing up. My old man smoked a pipe like the sailor he was and you could never see one side of the lounge to the other when he was at home.

She'd not have liked the Ancient Mariner one little bit.

No Siree-Bob.

Having 'visited' many such households during the course of my work, I think that I can imagine the kind of environment in which the child was living. I doubt very much if a smoky atmosphere would have been the only concern.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Indeed it does but that spoils the fake outrage.
Yup they'll have been given plenty of opportunity as case conference, team around the child meetings. Told exactly what is expected, council will have taken legal advice and Judge will have made decision to remove them I expect.

Yup they'll have been given plenty of opportunity as case conference, team around the child meetings. Told exactly what is expected, council will have taken legal advice and Judge will have made decision to remove them I expect.
Yeah its just like living in Nazi Germany.

I suspect it's duff reporting, smoke around the child being a minor factor in the case.

Good job she never came to my house when I was growing up. My old man smoked a pipe like the sailor he was and you could never see one side of the lounge to the other when he was at home.

She'd not have liked the Ancient Mariner one little bit.

No Siree-Bob.

Feck off I don't smoke.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yeah its just like living in Nazi Germany.
Unless it's an urgent removal they've loads of opportunity to improve and are given in writing what is expected. Do what is asked case is downgraded from case conference and eventually is closed.
Edit to add, taking kids into care costs money so it's the last thing councils want to do.

Unless it's an urgent removal they've loads of opportunity to improve and are given in writing what is expected. Do what is asked case is downgraded from case conference and eventually is closed.
Edit to add, taking kids into care costs money so it's the last thing councils want to do.
You'd think that would be the case but some cases have to be seen to be believed. Can't comment on this one as there is too little to go on.

There is also the forced adoption issue that some people insist is a bit of a conspiracy. Angelic little cherubs will get yanked away and adopted for sneezing in front of a social worker yet scruffy ginger tearaways are left to languish in filth..... how true this is I don't know but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that some authorities take that exact line.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You'd think that would be the case but some cases have to be seen to be believed. Can't comment on this one as there is too little to go on.

There is also the forced adoption issue that some people insist is a bit of a conspiracy. Angelic little cherubs will get yanked away and adopted for sneezing in front of a social worker yet scruffy ginger tearaways are left to languish in filth..... how true this is I don't know but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that some authorities take that exact line.
Can't see that getting past a Judge.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Funny how the media report things. I suspect the child was removed due to 'other reasons' too, but to sensationalise the story they've honed-in on the smoking thing.

Jesus, if we were still in the 70s most of us would have been taken into care otherwise.

Thick blanket of smoke in the living room, trying to watch Bullseye or the Professionals on a Sunday night before school through the dense fog of my Mum and Dad's Benson and Hedges...

I was just glad I wasn't in the car with the windows all wound up.

Funny how the media report things. I suspect the child was removed due to 'other reasons' too, but to sensationalise the story they've honed-in on the smoking thing.

Jesus, if we were still in the 70s most of us would have been taken into care otherwise.

Thick blanket of smoke in the living room, trying to watch Bullseye or the Professionals on a Sunday night before school through the dense fog of my Mum and Dad's Benson and Hedges...

I was just glad I wasn't in the car with the windows all wound up.
I used to go and buy my mums fags for her and both smoked in front of me. Did it kill me?

Clue: I'm not posting this from the grave

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
I used to go and buy my mums fags for her and both smoked in front of me. Did it kill me?

Clue: I'm not posting this from the grave
Ha - yeah - my Mum used to send me to the 'Shack' with a £1 note - 20 B&H for 99p

And the shop keeper blatantly knew you weren't chuffing your way through 20 snouts a day... how times have changed eh?

Ha - yeah - my Mum used to send me to the 'Shack' with a £1 note - 20 B&H for 99p

And the shop keeper blatantly knew you weren't chuffing your way through 20 snouts a day... how times have changed eh?
Aye. Wouldn't get it these days. There was a shop/bakery by us that blatantly sold 'singles' to school kids. The fat swines stunk so it came as no surprise that the local authority shut the place down. I remember grimacing at the mould festering away on the pork pies in the counter.