Smoking in Public Places Banned

Well, they've gone all the way this time. All for it here after giving up two years ago. Will be bad for the pub trade though, methinks.

I wonder if it will actually deter the, ahem, lower classes in smoking. At £5 a pack it's a crazy amount of money on a 20 a-day habit and in offices now there are far fewer professionals on the cigs whereas manual workers seem still to be at it. This is purely from casual observation, of course. And it does pay for the NHS. A bit.

This trend seems to be catching on. The State Senate here in Virginia just passed a smoking ban. Surprising as Virginia is one of the largest tobacco producing states in the Union.

Plant-Pilot said:
Having no-smoking areas in pubs and clubs is like having a peeing corner in a swimming pool.
:lol: LOL, Plant-Pilot.

Please can anyone explain what effect, if any, this ban will have on smoking on MOD premises? I hope to join up in a few months, and wonder what the deal is with smoking in the mess? :)

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Highway said:
Please can anyone explain what effect, if any, this ban will have on smoking on MOD premises? I hope to join up in a few months, and wonder what the deal is with smoking in the mess? :)
As a Mess is a private club, it is up to the Mess to decide. However, I think you will find that all Messes will be non-smoking, except in a 'smoking room' and in the individual accommodation rooms. There is no smoking in Workshops/offices etc (not officially!) and smoking areas are usually in a cellar/attic/bus shelter etc (if they are feeling generous!)

Thanks for the info, Legs. That's good news. I was disappointed that on a visit to the Mess at an RCB Briefing, I got a face full of smoke, instead of being able to meet people in comfort.

Legs said:
Highway said:
As a Mess is a private club, it is up to the Mess to decide. However, I think you will find that all Messes will be non-smoking, except in a 'smoking room' and in the individual accommodation rooms. There is no smoking in Workshops/offices etc (not officially!) and smoking areas are usually in a cellar/attic/bus shelter etc (if they are feeling generous!)
Wasn't that ammendment kicked out? That mean's that even private clubs have to ban smoking? You may get away with it in accommodation, but bars and messes are 'public' in so much as they are communial and have employees working in them so the law applys to them too I would have thought.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Plant-Pilot said:
Legs said:
Wasn't that ammendment kicked out? That mean's that even private clubs have to ban smoking? You may get away with it in accommodation, but bars and messes are 'public' in so much as they are communial and have employees working in them so the law applys to them too I would have thought.
Maybe I missed that amendment, but that's the last I heard. Anyhow, the public areas will still be non-smoking.

Seems like it may be time to consider thinking about the possibility of an idea that I should perhaps give up. Maybe.

Latest Threads