Smoking, Burn, the old coffin nails etc.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tartan_Terrier, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Try wnaking instead. It's a much healthier option, and there's no way way you can do it 20 times a day.

Seriously though, it helps if you've can replace it with something. I ate Fisherman's Friends every time I wanted a fag last time I stopped. They're strong enough so you know you've eaten one, so you won't just keep eating them all the time (like the time I tried with mint imperials).

2. Worth a try, cheers.

The fishermans friends i mean. :D

3. It does take some will power Spr_D, but millions have done it.

Google up some autopsy pictures of smokers lungs, that will make you think twice.

Good luck.

4. Get free patches from the med centre.

5. They roll ok but i can never get them to light...

6. According to Stan Boardman [ comedian] he says Buy the large patches they work best, Put one on each eye that way you can't find yer fags.!!!

7. Eat them then.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You may want to re-word that :wink:

9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Nicotine replacement therapy is bollox, your just trying to replace one set of nicotine with another, and its the nicotine thats addictive.

I'm on week seven of being a non smoker and after trying loads of different shit i finally bought myself a copy of Alan Karrs the easy way. i highly recommend it. Its not been difficult, a few time Ive thought hmm could do with a smoke like right now thinking about it but then brain kicks in and says Nah waste of time, effort and money and thats pretty much the extend of my cravings.

Go for it.

and for the Nay sayers Yes alan karrs dead and yes he died of lung cancer, however he also lived a further 25 years as a non smoker after giving up and has helped millions of people do the same. NRT is just a synical way for the pharmaceutical companies to make the money that the tabacco compies were making out of you, pound to a pinch of sh1t all their pension funds own shares in each other.

10. I went to an Allen Carr's Easyway session and never smoked again (I was on around 20 - 40 a day).

Highly recommended.

11. I've never looked back....I'll donate my body to medical science...prostrate of a 17 year old and right bicep like the governor of California!

Hardest part is stopping in the pub. The smoking that is, not the wnaking. Social smoking catches you out every time, especially after a few beers. Ultimately the only way is will-power. Patches and gums are probably helpful, but it is hard work. I haven't touched a fag in eight years...but I was a lightweight down-the-pub and smoke-break smoker anyway.

12. Good to know people can beat it. I slipped up the first few times I tried but i'm rapidly approaching 30 and my aim's to quit by then.

Smoking. . . Not wakning.

13. I enjoy "touchy feely" as the Dorset Police can confirm. I miss the whole process of "the cigarette" including that all important drag! These helped alot ....(linky)

http://www.paramountzone.com/mini-electric-cigarette.htm

....and it doesn't half piss the PC Brigade off when you spark one up in the pub or the Doctors Surgery.

Best of luck! :lol:

For any ageing squaddy trapped in the body of a 14 year old, the above site is for you. It is basically a site dedicated to "boys Toys" and is stuffed full of every useless (but great fun), article you could ever wish to own. Great for stocking fillers.

14. One of the secrets I found was,not to put yourself in a situation where you would normally have a ciggy,after dinner with the cup of coffee,in the pub with your mates (doesn't count now),etc.

Instead of sitting down with a cig,after a meal,I had a drink of water and went for a walk around the block.

I did use nic/replacement patches,and they worked for me,give them a go,if they don't work try something else.

As an aside,when I packed up,I was on 40/50 a day,during the 3 months I was using the patches,my Dad died,and I went through the Christmas/New Year celebrations(all the normal excuses for having a ciggy),I have only one regret,I didn't do it sooner. :wink:

15. Meanwhile back on thread :roll:

There are many different ways to stop, you just have to keep trying until you find one that suits you patches, inserts under the skin but most of all the willpower to actually stop
    Even if you are not serving you can get patches etc free at health centres and other places