• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Smoking, Burn, the old coffin nails etc.

Spr_D said:
ANy hints or tricks on quitting these things? I'm finding hit harder than i thought and BPFT's appear to take a little more effort than they used to.
Try wnaking instead. It's a much healthier option, and there's no way way you can do it 20 times a day.

Seriously though, it helps if you've can replace it with something. I ate Fisherman's Friends every time I wanted a fag last time I stopped. They're strong enough so you know you've eaten one, so you won't just keep eating them all the time (like the time I tried with mint imperials).

It does take some will power Spr_D, but millions have done it.

Google up some autopsy pictures of smokers lungs, that will make you think twice.

Good luck.

According to Stan Boardman [ comedian] he says Buy the large patches they work best, Put one on each eye that way you can't find yer fags.!!!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Tartan_Terrier said:
Spr_D said:
ANy hints or tricks on quitting these things? I'm finding hit harder than i thought and BPFT's appear to take a little more effort than they used to.
Try wnaking instead. It's a much healthier option, and there's no way way you can do it 20 times a day.

Seriously though, it helps if you've can replace it with something. I ate Fisherman's Friends every time I wanted a fag last time I stopped. They're strong enough so you know you've eaten one, so you won't just keep eating them all the time (like the time I tried with mint imperials).
You may want to re-word that :wink:

Nicotine replacement therapy is bollox, your just trying to replace one set of nicotine with another, and its the nicotine thats addictive.

I'm on week seven of being a non smoker and after trying loads of different shit i finally bought myself a copy of Alan Karrs the easy way. i highly recommend it. Its not been difficult, a few time Ive thought hmm could do with a smoke like right now thinking about it but then brain kicks in and says Nah waste of time, effort and money and thats pretty much the extend of my cravings.

Go for it.

and for the Nay sayers Yes alan karrs dead and yes he died of lung cancer, however he also lived a further 25 years as a non smoker after giving up and has helped millions of people do the same. NRT is just a synical way for the pharmaceutical companies to make the money that the tabacco compies were making out of you, pound to a pinch of sh1t all their pension funds own shares in each other.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Spr_D said:
I've never looked back....I'll donate my body to medical science...prostrate of a 17 year old and right bicep like the governor of California!

Hardest part is stopping in the pub. The smoking that is, not the wnaking. Social smoking catches you out every time, especially after a few beers. Ultimately the only way is will-power. Patches and gums are probably helpful, but it is hard work. I haven't touched a fag in eight years...but I was a lightweight down-the-pub and smoke-break smoker anyway.

Good to know people can beat it. I slipped up the first few times I tried but i'm rapidly approaching 30 and my aim's to quit by then.

Smoking. . . Not wakning.

I enjoy "touchy feely" as the Dorset Police can confirm. I miss the whole process of "the cigarette" including that all important drag! These helped alot ....(linky)

http://www.paramountzone.com/mini-electric-cigarette.htm

....and it doesn't half piss the PC Brigade off when you spark one up in the pub or the Doctors Surgery.

Best of luck! :lol:

For any ageing squaddy trapped in the body of a 14 year old, the above site is for you. It is basically a site dedicated to "boys Toys" and is stuffed full of every useless (but great fun), article you could ever wish to own. Great for stocking fillers.

One of the secrets I found was,not to put yourself in a situation where you would normally have a ciggy,after dinner with the cup of coffee,in the pub with your mates (doesn't count now),etc.

Instead of sitting down with a cig,after a meal,I had a drink of water and went for a walk around the block.

I did use nic/replacement patches,and they worked for me,give them a go,if they don't work try something else.

As an aside,when I packed up,I was on 40/50 a day,during the 3 months I was using the patches,my Dad died,and I went through the Christmas/New Year celebrations(all the normal excuses for having a ciggy),I have only one regret,I didn't do it sooner. :wink:

Meanwhile back on thread :roll:

There are many different ways to stop, you just have to keep trying until you find one that suits you patches, inserts under the skin but most of all the willpower to actually stop
Even if you are not serving you can get patches etc free at health centres and other places

Hypnotherapy - havent touched one in 4 years. No cravings, no withdrawal symptoms, no nothing. It really is as if I have never smoked. I tried Alan Carr however, I broke the "rules" and was back on them after a year.

I went cold turkey. It worked for me. BUT I gave myself small achievable goals.

EG.....get leathered one night, smoke 40 cigs in the process, then I didn't want a cigarette the next day. That was the 1st 24hrs done.

Then say to yourself "see if I can last til NAAFI break", then lunch etc.

Slowly make the goals a little harder.

smudge67 said:
....small achievable goals. Slowly make the goals a little harder.
As the man sez.... whatever works for you, and bear in mind that it could take a while to figure out YOUR best avenue. I tried that idea above.... went through 6 fags while trying to work out what my goals would be! :x

smudge67 said:
I went cold turkey. It worked for me. BUT I gave myself small achievable goals.

EG.....get leathered one night, smoke 40 cigs in the process, then I didn't want a cigarette the next day. That was the 1st 24hrs done.

Then say to yourself "see if I can last til NAAFI break", then lunch etc.

Slowly make the goals a little harder.
That's the way to do it, I gave up at the beggining of the year (again) I set a date I would give up (I went for 2nd January) smoked my last fag at 23.55hrs on the 1st and havent touched one since. The first 28 days were the hardest, I made a chuff chart with my kids and crossed the days off one at a time also putting the money I saved not buying fags in a jar.

At the end of the 28 days I had over a hundred quid! Now nearly 11 months down the line, my health has improved, food tastes better (I dont have to cover everything in sauce, its tastes nice on its own) I can run further and faster and dont seem to suffer from as many colds, do it, I wish I hadnt waited 22 odd years before trying!

1. You have got to want to stop smoking - it's no good just blathering about it.
2. Simply Stop. It's all a matter of will-power.

I woke up one day a few years ago, stinking of yesterday's fags, fed up with shit-breath and driving around in an ashtray so I went through all my suits, coats, drawers, the car etc and threw away all the fag packets I could find and just stopped.

It really irritates me listening to whining smokers bleating on about 'ooh I'd stop if I could' or 'oh yes, I'd love to give up but I just can't'. Bollox. Just do it. No-one is forcing you to smoke. If you really want to stop you can and will. No more fcuking excuses.

Good luck!

Latest Threads