Smoking ban's impact five years on

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vampireuk, Jul 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Smoking ban's impact five years on

Apart of course from pubs closing left right and centre and every man and his dog staying home to drink these days.

2. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

And not to mention how many streets are littered outside establishments now where people have dropped their dog ends. Walking into Ipswich now, you go past 'Little Europe', which is a bit like Belgrave Circle in Leicester, but Iraqi Kurds instead of Indians - and there's a series of cafes and shops - each and every one of them now covered out front in dog ends and clouds of smoke from the endless chuffing of Turkish cigs. See for them, the non-smoker is the minority - it's like a national pastime or something.

I don't smoke, but I was in favour of keeping things the way they were but toughening up on the rules a little. For example, having smoking rooms in pubs - which was pretty much the same way it always was - with the execption that these rooms would only be served if the member of staff was either a smoker themselves, or willing to work in that bar and signed a disclaimer as such.

Would have been a lot cheaper than making all these 'shacks' outside.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sounds like a fairly unbiased lot! :)

I thought a good idea would be to allow a pub to either have a licence to serve food or one to allow smoking. Of course with most activists you cannot reach a compromise, either everything goes their way or they throw a hissy fit.

4. I was sat with my brother in a pub the other night discussing this very subject whilst visiting. Half of the pubs in the town where i grew up are now empty/boarded up or being used for other purposes.
    I think the govt back then used a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Why could they not have just required pubs to have a designated smoking area, separate and with proper ventilation. ( i'm not a smoker but once was)
    Coupled with changing social habits and cheap shop booze, it appeared to be a perfect storm for smaller local pubs.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I don't think the smoking ban has causes pubs to shut at all. Expensive beer and shit hole establishments played a big part. Half the problem with your "local" type pub was that they where run by the old school landlord who still wanted to make loads of money for very little work. The biggest killer of pubs imo has been the installation of Whetherspoons types bars everywhere.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Alternatively, why not smoking or non-smoking pubs? Let the punter choose where he/she wants to drink.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Spot on DMS. I am no longer a smoker, but I`d much rather be in a lively smoke filled boozer than one that stinks of toilets, rancid food, and BO.

• Like Like x 6
  8. The decision as to whether to allow smoking on the premises should be down to the owner/landlord!

9. Where is that pinched nose Higgs Bosun? He'd have something to say on the matter. He usually does. :pissedoff:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yep. You definitely get the BO smell nowadays. Previously masked by the smell of silk cut

11. Calm down calm down! He'll be along in a minute to tell us all what our opinion is!
    You'll be having a coronary at this rate Mukker :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. As an Ex-Smoker I really have no problem with being in a smoking pub. It's far more sociable than half the group getting up and standing outside for 10 minutes of every 30.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I happen to be watching the Beeb this morning (i know sad) and there was an old trout from the "I have never Smoked and I want you to stop) party and she had the front to say all of this it to protect the kids. She wants a complete ban or smoking with kids in the car and next in the home. I have never smoked but grew up in the smoking generation, most pubs had the obligitory
    old man sat in the corner smoking his pipe and getting his social kicks and being part of the community. Now he faces sitting at home alone or standing in the elements just to live his life.
    There is no easy answer, are we going to go down the route of LA where you are not allowed to smoke outside only in the confines of you own home?

14. The smoking ban has made it much easier for me to jib into nightclubs and gigs by tailgating the smokers as they re-enter the premises.

• Like Like x 1