Smoking Ban - Was I Wrong?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Infiltrator, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok ok, I know that I'm probably going to be flamed here, anyway, here goes.
    As the saying goes, " Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!" Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not quite a rabid anti-smoker, but not far short! I was certainly one of the ones calling for a smoking ban and I absolutley supported one and was over the moon when it was announced and overjoyed when it finally came in.
    Now then, perhaps my views have changed slightly over the last few months.
    When smoking was allowed in buildings, I knew where not to go. If I didn't want to smell of smoke I didn't go...end of.
    The problem now, is that I simply cannot avoid the smoke any more. All I have to do is walk down the high street and I have smoke from nearly every doorway blown over me as I walk along.
    Heaven forbid that I should actually want to enter a drinking establishment. Gaggles of smokers all puffing out their foul exhaust fumes all over me as I try to get through them to the door. Not a pleasant experience.
    So now, to my mind, it begs the question, (and this is I suspect where I start to get a bit controversial) was I wrong in the first place to seek and support a ban? Or were we on the right track and the ban simply hasn't gone far enough? Is it time for us non-smokers to up the anti again and start a new campaign? Should we now be looking at either banning smoking in all public places? Or perhaps erecting the occasional shelter perhaps 15 meters or so, away from any building and forcing the nicotine addicts into those for their fix so that us non-smokers can avoid them altogether?
  2. Look, if people want to smoke then let them. Likewise, if they want to stick knives in themselves then lets all gather round to observe.

The smoking ban rocks!
  3. I had the misfortune to be standing in a queue the other day. The person behind me had appalling halitosis and was bathing me in a cloud of bad breath at every exhale – now that is unpleasant. Getting the whiff of cigarette smoke walking down the street is quite pleasant by comparison to a dog breath panting at your back.

If you want something to complain about then target people with poor hygiene, now that smoking is banned in pubs, their stench is even more noticeable.
  4. Infiltrator, your experience of the ban is rather different from mine. I haven't noticed an increase in smoke when I am around and about on the street (remember workers have had to go outside for a tab for many years now) and aside from the brief cloud of smoke on entering an establishment my nights out have become much more enjoyable. In fact you are much more likely to find the wife and I in a pub now than you were a year ago.
  5. Surely this is going against the smoking ban; I was under the impression that a smoking zone needs to be aay from through areas used by non-smokers. Maybe I'm wrong on that. But if not then they shouldn't be hanging around the pub entrance. I think your idea of smoking huts is excellent; small air tight glass cubicles with air locks so no smoke gets out and the filthy smokers kill themselves twice as quickly whilst inside. Quicker they die the less of a burden they are on the NHS and welfare systems.
  6. I worked in Central London for a while and caught the Central Line one night in a hot August Rush Hour. I spent half an hour with some dirty barstewards armpit in my nose :puker:

I have never smoked but stale cigarette smoke would have been infinitely preferable.
  7. You need a dose of a country who still embrace smoking everywhere, restaraunts, pubs, clubs etc

You'll realise what a difference the smoking ban has actually made

Good law (perhaps the only one introduced by this shower of shoite)

And it gives smokers two times the social opportunities of non smokers (Inside and outside)

Most the fun/naughty people are outside smerkin
  8. I have always considered that smokers do everyone a great service: By smoking they are keeping taxes down for the rest of us.
  9. Well, I would have like to think so too...but it's obviously not the case. Have you been to any of the high street pubs lately?
  10. maldrop - just worked out have spent 100k over the years on fags, tax would be about 20k. Never used welfare or nhs for smoking problems or illnesses. What would you do without my taxes and many others. You talk through your aarse. Well known that drinkers cost nhs more than smokers!!
  11. Speaking as a smoker, I have to say that the ban has been a success. Now that you have kicked us out of buildings, you now want us to give up the streets as well. You can't have it all ways. Do you drive a car/motorcycle??? I don't and hate the fact that motorists feel the need to rev their engines every time that they stop at lights/junctions, no wonder cyclists like myself wear masks, perhaps I should start a petition to the Govt about this. I welcome the smoking ban having experienced it in the US years ago and thought it was a very good idea, having bars/pub free of stale smoke and making the night out a far better experience, but it seems that some people are never satisfied. I thought that this country was a democracy, perhaps I was wrong, it has been known, so get off our cases. You want to drink in a totally smoke free place, don't go to pubs, stay at home!!!!!!
    PS. I dont see smokers causing fights on a Friday night because they might have a few too many cigarettes, clogging up the A&E depts and being arrested for being smoked and disorderly, now drinkers, that's another problem, if drinkers stayed at home, there wouldn't be as much trouble outside pubs.
  12. "If you want something to complain about then target people with poor hygiene, now that smoking is banned in pubs, their stench is even more noticeable. "

Couldn't agree more, beng a smoker it doesn't bother me one way or another, but the stench from some of the pubs now is even worse than when smoking was allowed in them.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

As a smoker wot has cut down drastically since New Year, I havte started to smell things again - and what do I smell - smelly people, smelly cars and smelly council bins. Let's ban them on the streets and in public places too.
  14. get with the program saintstone you hippy! can't afford a car? or taking a green standpoint?
  15. Infiltrator - I can see your words, but they appear to me as

"sniff sniff, boo hoo, mwaaaaa, mwaaaaa, me, me, self, self, mummy, mummy"

Some people are never bloody happy! Perhaps you could lock yourself in an airtight oxygen tent like MJ.