smoking around bombs

#1
A friend of mine drew my attention to a No Smoking sign in the bomb bay of a B24 liberator bomber, and seemed to think that you'd have to be very stupid not to realize that you shouldn't smoke around bombs.

I myself am not so sure, since I imagine that the sensitive bits of bombs are fairly well protected. Anyone with more knowledge than me willing to venture an opinion?
 
#4
I should think the oxygen bottles and lines were a greater danger
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#6
Jerrycan2793 said:
Dont forget Ze Germans
Exactly. Wouldn't want them suffering from the effects of passive smoking now, would we? :twisted:
 
#7
Nope, Infact Troops smoking where it could effect the enemy is chemical warfare and thats a breach of the Geneva Conventions isnt it?

Smokers=Hitler

Always new it :p
 
C

cloudbuster

Guest
#8
Smoking around bombs isn't dangerous.

Juggling lump-hammers around bombs - that's dangerous.

Oddly enough, many years ago I managed to blag a ride in one of the RAF's last remaining Hastings. Just inside the door was a sign advising me that "Smoke Floats".

Wasn't that helpful?
 
#9
cloudbuster said:
Smoking around bombs isn't dangerous.

Juggling lump-hammers around bombs - that's dangerous.

Oddly enough, many years ago I managed to blag a ride in one of the RAF's last remaining Hastings. Just inside the door was a sign advising me that "Smoke Floats".

Wasn't that helpful?
Of course it isn't dangerous which is why we encourage smoking in ammunition depots :D
 
#10
My wife's uncle claimed that he smoked his pipe while driving to work in the Ruhr every evening!
 
#11
Cuddles said:
My wife's uncle claimed that he smoked his pipe while driving to work in the Ruhr every evening!

He should've been shot at.

Won't somebody think of the children?
 
#12
Hello,

the B24 Liberator's designated smoking area was accessed by opening the bomb bay doors.


tangosix.
 
#14
Mind you he was very good about the dottle, he never dropped it out of the window. I mean from 20000 feet it could have hurt somebody...
 
#15
I am sure i have seen in those old training films or propaganda type stuff that RAF and USAAF ground crews rode the bomb cart to the aircraft sometimes with a fag on the go. Maybe it was the era or folks back then could bwe trusted more not be act the spack!
 
#16
There's nothing special about the bombs which causes them to be particularly flammable.

The warning is there because there are lots of other flammable components in the bomb bay (grease on cables, the canvas shroud around the walkway, etc).

If anything catches fire on a plane, it is very dangerous. But if anything catches fire in the bomb bay, the potential consequences are even more severe, up to and including blowing neighbouring planes out of the sky.

That's why there is a warning for the bomb bay in particular. You muppet.
 
#17
Aircraft bombs are quite insensitive, you could do pretty much anything near them really. Although pulling on the shear wires and turning arming vanes is quite stupid!!
 
#18
Explosive_Train said:
Aircraft bombs are quite insensitive, you could do pretty much anything near them really. Although pulling on the shear wires and turning arming vanes is quite stupid!!
As so ably demonstrated by the FAA in 1982...
 
#19
jarrod248 said:
tropper66 said:
I should think the oxygen bottles and lines were a greater danger
Why?
Give him a second, he has a picture demonstrating exactly why, and just needs to dig it out.
 
#20
As an ex spanner mech smoking on or near aircraft was forbidden.
Ash in Sioux was common and could still be found in Helis at end of my time.
I understand that Adolph Galland had such a 'Cheroot' problem that his mechs fitted his personal cab with an electric lighter.

john
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top