smoking around bombs

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by on_leave, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine drew my attention to a No Smoking sign in the bomb bay of a B24 liberator bomber, and seemed to think that you'd have to be very stupid not to realize that you shouldn't smoke around bombs.

I myself am not so sure, since I imagine that the sensitive bits of bombs are fairly well protected. Anyone with more knowledge than me willing to venture an opinion?

2. they where smoking on that film memphis belle near the bombs

3. I'd be more worried about all the oils, fuel and fluids than the bombs.

4. I should think the oxygen bottles and lines were a greater danger

5. Dont forget Ze Germans

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Exactly. Wouldn't want them suffering from the effects of passive smoking now, would we? :twisted:

7. Nope, Infact Troops smoking where it could effect the enemy is chemical warfare and thats a breach of the Geneva Conventions isnt it?

Smokers=Hitler

Always new it :p

8. Smoking around bombs isn't dangerous.

Juggling lump-hammers around bombs - that's dangerous.

Oddly enough, many years ago I managed to blag a ride in one of the RAF's last remaining Hastings. Just inside the door was a sign advising me that "Smoke Floats".

Wasn't that helpful?

9. Of course it isn't dangerous which is why we encourage smoking in ammunition depots :D

10. My wife's uncle claimed that he smoked his pipe while driving to work in the Ruhr every evening!

11. He should've been shot at.

Won't somebody think of the children?

12. Hello,

the B24 Liberator's designated smoking area was accessed by opening the bomb bay doors.

tangosix.

13. I expect, he had to deal with a bit of "flack" coming his way.

14. Mind you he was very good about the dottle, he never dropped it out of the window. I mean from 20000 feet it could have hurt somebody...

15. I am sure i have seen in those old training films or propaganda type stuff that RAF and USAAF ground crews rode the bomb cart to the aircraft sometimes with a fag on the go. Maybe it was the era or folks back then could bwe trusted more not be act the spack!