Smoking and its Contribution to Lung Cancer

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ottex josh, Jan 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lung cancer is a major cause of cancer deaths. It is the uncontrolled growth of the tissues of the lungs. This causes invasion of the adjacent tissue beyond the lungs. Among patients with lung cancer about 87% of men and 85% of women are smokers. This shows the close relation between Smoking and lung cancer . Cigarettes contain about 40 carcinogens like radioisotopes, nitrasamine and benzopyrene. The risk of developing lung cancer is directly proportional to the amount of tobacco inhaled. Nicotine decreases the immunity of the lungs to malignant growth of tissues. But as a person stops smoking, his chances of developing lung cancer steadily decreases over a period of time.

When a person smokes, the carcinogenic chemicals in the smoke are deposited into the lungs. The more the person smokes, the more the amount of carcinogenic material inhaled and deposited in the lungs. This causes DNA damage, oxidative stress and inflammation which helps the initiation and growth of tumors. DNA is an important element necessary for the normal functioning of the body. The DNA damage cannot be rectified by the body and hence the cells begin to multiply in an abnormal way and this leads to the formation of a malignant tumor. Lung cancer is not easily detectable at early stages and gets affected rapidly. It also sometimes affects other parts of the body. It is therefore fatal and contributes to the maximum number of deaths due to cancer.

Efforts are now put in to detect and cure lung cancer but the best method is still to stop smoking or not initiate smoking at all.
  2. Two's Up? Menthol is fine.
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My Grandfather died from lung cancer, he hadn't smoked for about 25 years and even when he had been a smoker it was only socially.

On the other hand my father in law smoked 10 cigars a day and died in hospital aged 84 after tripping down some stairs.

Based on this thorough research and the irrefutable evidence it has uncovered, I now intend to start smoking a big fat pipe.*

*Queue the gay innuendo jokes.
  4. Smoking is for winners. The cool kids do it.

The new smoking laws also give you a perfect opportunity to chat up drunk bints outside the pub/bar/club when nipping out for a ciggy.
  5. Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. It causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix, as well as acute myeloid leukemia.Smoking also causes heart disease, stroke, aortic aneurysm.
  7. Hi all guy's, There are many theories on the bad effects of the smoking and as it is major cause of the lung cancer so Please avoid smoking for the sake of your life, for good and healthy life also....
  8. Has ARRSE suddenly been invaded by the health police?

Thanks for the warning about smoking though, I never knew it was harmful, you would have thought they would put warnings on fag packets or ban advertising etc.
  9. "This thread aware the people to harmful side effect of the smoking
    on their health. and how it is involve in lung cancer. "

It's certainly not been invaded by the grammar Police!
  10. I had wondered about that too,the next thing you know they'll be telling us that you shouldn't drink too much (and drive as well !!!!)
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Research has shown that life is the major cause of death. Life has been designated a fatal disease with no cure. Nobody has yet survived life, but the jury is out on Enoch.
  12. Tabs are vegetarian and good for you, even God smokes.