Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking and COVID-19

There are theories in many countries that smokers are less likely to be struck down by coronavirus than non-smokers. In France, only ~5% of those admitted to hospital or are outpatients with coronavirus were smokers. The Chinese, even though they are notorious smokers, have a noticable lack of smokers suffering coronavirus

article here

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
probably a good antigen.me, 20-40 a day.....depending on mood.........no cv19 here...............what ive got at present would kill the b*gger..........
( A gift for the girl who has everything...Penicillin )

Last edited:
Saffers banned cigarette sales when lockdown started on 26 March
Result: Ciggies are now double or more he normal price, if you can find a retailer prepared to sell hem 'under the counter'.
Illegal sales flourishing, and more folk traveling more to look for cigs...
Except, or course in the cheek-by-jowl black townships, where it seems anyhing and everything is available. At a price.
Lockdown being relaxed on Friday - one of he first regs to be dropped was ciggies sales!

On a similar note, booze sales remain suspended.
So now we have booze shops being smash-and-grabbed, and wine trucks heading to he harbour with export stuff being hijacked.
Our local booze shop has blue pallets piled up 15' high across the whole frontage as a deterrent

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are theories in many countries that smokers are less likely to be struck down by coronavirus than non-smokers. In France, only ~5% of those admitted to hospital or are outpatients with coronavirus were smokers. The Chinese, even though they are notorious smokers, have a noticable lack of smokers suffering coronavirus

article here

And the French reply to that was - France bans online sales of nicotine products

The French actually started treating some of their patients with nicotine patches, was an article on it last week.
But not actual cigarettes :) This version of flu seems to attack the lungs (hence the furore about ventilators), would seem logical to me that anything which messes your lungs up (like cigarette smoke) is best avoided, especially during the current flu outbreak.

But not actual cigarettes :) This version of flu seems to attack the lungs (hence the furore about ventilators), would seem logical to me that anything which messes your lungs up (like cigarette smoke) is best avoided, especially during the current flu outbreak.
It's nicotine that is being used as the main factor of treatment re the patches, from how I understand it, it's less surface area for the virus to grip onto. Of course, the French did not give a green light for people to smoke. However, as has been pointed out, the stats of smokers re the virus is comparatively low, of course smokers still get the virus, but the figures of mortality are low. Especially in places like China where they smoke like fcuk.

article here

Morning @TheAssassin,
FFS! Keep it quiet or non-smokers might start buying.
Travel clampdown relaxed here today only(08:00-midday). Got to walk 3km uphill to buy, so stocked up as don't know when I'll get up there next.
Not bothered about Covid as the smoking will probably get me first.
Not interested in giving up, as giving up is for quitters;).

E2a: Add 't' in quiters. Doh!

Attachments

• 20200429_135124.jpg
    20200429_135124.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It's nicotine that is being used as the main factor of treatment re the patches, from how I understand it, it's less surface area for the virus to grip onto. Of course, the French did not give a green light for people to smoke. However, as has been pointed out, the stats of smokers re the virus is comparatively low, of course smokers still get the virus, but the figures of mortality are low. Especially in places like China where they smoke like fcuk.
If I read you correctly by screwing your lungs up with cigarette smoke you give less area for the virus to settle? I thought patches were to satisfy the nicotine addiction in the body.

Result: Ciggies are now double or more he normal price, if you can find a retailer prepared to sell hem 'under the counter'.
Except, or course in the cheek-by-jowl black townships, where it seems anyhing and everything is available. At a price.
Lockdown being relaxed on Friday - one of he first regs to be dropped was ciggies sales!

So now we have booze shops being smash-and-grabbed, and wine trucks heading to he harbour with export stuff being hijacked.
Our local booze shop has blue pallets piled up 15' high across the whole frontage as a deterrent

Seems like a nice quite pleasant and friendly place to live! Bit like the nicer parts of rural surrey is it? ( sarcastic mode, off )

If I read you correctly by screwing your lungs up with cigarette smoke you give less area for the virus to settle? I thought patches were to satisfy the nicotine addiction in the body.

Morning @exbluejob,
Thread drift:
One theory/myth I heard donkey's ago. An old(er) climber who smokes is less likely to develop AMS. Reason being that as you age your brain shrinks so more room for it it swell. The smoking bit is that your lungs are more used to struggling. I'm sure someone will be along to add.
As a smoker of certain age I've never had an issue above 2000m but I know that's probably more down to 'jam of the day'.
Blx or not, that's what I tell the knackered youngsters who stare agog as I power past with a fag in my gob and a pint in my hand;).

Aye, I think it's something along those lines. Must be some element within the nicotine that doesn't agree with the virus. Not an expert by any means, but, there's sfuff on't interweb about it.

The ANC cnuts have u-turned.

No ciggie sales allowed.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Aye, I think it's something along those lines. Must be some element within the nicotine that doesn't agree with the virus. Not an expert by any means, but, there's sfuff on't interweb about it.

Nicotine kills off most things so, as I understand it, acts as a sort of antiseptic. That said, its use cannot be condoned because of the obvious addictive properties and other poisons contained in cigarette smoke.

ETA, I've smoked all my life and very rarely catch colds or any other infection.

They banned the sale of cigarettes during lockdown??
As if quarantining every healthy person in the world instead of just the sick was not crazy enough.

It's like they want every one to go mad. Here in London it's getting busier and busier. People are just fcuking it off and going out and doing what they want. Apart from half the shops being shut, it's getting back to normal.

Most small cafes are open again but take out only. I dont think the government will get away with another period of "stay home until we tell you can go out again"

Going back to smoking. It might just be that people who smoke are more accustomed to breathing difficulty, in that their bodies work that bit harder to function and so a little bit of covid-19 is nothing compared with 40 B&H a day.

Or more likely, there is no correlation at all and it's just more duff stats from uncontrolled samples of data.

I have always suspected that when they find a decent treatment for covid 19 its going to be one of those 'who would have thought it' moments with it being something wacky

The ANC are nothing but a dictatorship in waiting.
Yes.
And factionalised as well.
This latest move - a week after the president, Ramaphosa, announced on TV that the ban would be lifted on 1 May - smacks of a political power play between his faction and the faction of Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma*, ex pres Jacob Zuma's rx wife.
"Yep, I'll defy you on this - what you gonna do about it?"
Folk will smoke. If anything, the ban has made no sense, as smokers will be making extra trips to other places to buy illicit fags.
Prices already more than doubled on the black market.

* Who, bizarrely, is partly funded by a scumbag called Mazotti, who makes his $$$ from tobacco smuggling!!

A self-confessed smuggler, fraudster and money launderer has emerged as a contributor to ANC presidential hopeful Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma's bid to replace her ex-husband, President Jacob Zuma.

Latest Threads