Smokin'

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looking good.

I’m using a combo of oak chips and some smashed up whisky barrels for this one.

The smell of the whisky is quite strong, will see how it goes.

19674757-E8A5-4AC5-B3BC-8C07903300C2.jpeg
663D03E4-B1CE-42DB-ADD6-0FF956393181.jpeg
7D58AEA2-E1CC-4591-9E3A-0F3948DD84D1.jpeg
070D0153-2FEF-4B16-9BB6-C896D35A848F.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Salmon done.

Chicken on.

57075E8D-11B6-45A8-83C4-294AE2EBE8DE.jpeg

Those garlic heads squashed out on toasted beer bread with beef marrow would work. Bit of salt and white pepper to finish.

The greasy grin of repletion can be washed away with a pint of something decent.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
It arrived this morning and has been on from 12 till about 2020.

Assembly and setup was simple and it started with no problems particularly after view some youtube info
Do you have to pay for the two cardboard boxes?

@Oldboyinblue - I live in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. I can state with cast-iron certainty that there are no gas smokers here! You see a shitload of wood-fired ones at the side of the road selling ribs, pork joints, whatever, but they run on oak & hickory.

Still, setting the name-affrontery aside, glad to see you got a smoker, and hope you have a great time with it. They really do make for excellent scran.

@Oldboyinblue - I live in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. I can state with cast-iron certainty that there are no gas smokers here! You see a shitload of wood-fired ones at the side of the road selling ribs, pork joints, whatever, but they run on oak & hickory.

Still, setting the name-affrontery aside, glad to see you got a smoker, and hope you have a great time with it. They really do make for excellent scran.
Agreed I've never seen a gas smoker in the US. But I'm a lazy buffer (hense gas), and the main constraint here in the UK is the smoking wood availability and costs (lots of log burners for heating but Bbq wood is extortionate ) but it's baby steps And this was a cheep ish and easy baby step up from a bbq with a lid.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Just to add that I've come to the conclusion of tending a smoker(even a gas one) for 5 or 6 hours on a sunny afternoon with nothong else to occupy my mind is a bloody nice way of relaxing.

Just to add that I've come to the conclusion of tending a smoker(even a gas one) for 5 or 6 hours on a sunny afternoon with nothong else to occupy my mind is a bloody nice way of relaxing.

Absolutely agreed!

I got some new racks for one of mine last week, and gave them their first test drive yesterday. It's like having a new grill, both good & bad. Good because I can cook a lot more now, and it's much more convenient to get to the coal, but bad because the heat distribution is different now. Need to get used to how it performs. Lots of "tending" going on yesterday, with Warsteiner in hand :)

offog

LE
Do you have to pay for the two cardboard boxes?
I forgot that I posted that and only seen this due to getting a landmann from Lidl.

This is cold smoking and I have been doing it off and on when she is away due to the smk. I keep my eye out for the drop in salmon price and dry and smk it. Then slice it and put it into 100g vacuum bags and freeze it. It is about a 3 day process.

ugly

LE
I forgot that I posted that and only seen this due to getting a landmann from Lidl.

This is cold smoking and I have been doing it off and on when she is away due to the smk. I keep my eye out for the drop in salmon price and dry and smk it. Then slice it and put it into 100g vacuum bags and freeze it. It is about a 3 day process.
The main mistake I have made with cold smoking salmon is not brining it first, it needs to be cured before cold smoking otherwise its just a very slow cooker.

Yup. Water, salt, pinch of sugar, drop of vinegar, couple of peppercorns and a bay leaf. Drop of whisky or white wine instead of vinegar if desired. Bring to boil, allow to cool (add whisky or wine once cool), and soak fish overnight in the brine. Roll in crushed black peppercorns and coriander seeds then into the smoker.

offog

LE
Yup. Water, salt, pinch of sugar, drop of vinegar, couple of peppercorns and a bay leaf. Drop of whisky or white wine instead of vinegar if desired. Bring to boil, allow to cool (add whisky or wine once cool), and soak fish overnight in the brine. Roll in crushed black peppercorns and coriander seeds then into the smoker.
As I first read that it seemed that you boiled the fish o_Othen I got what you meant. :rolleyes:

I make a mix of salt and brown sugar and leave for about 24 hours till a lot of the water has been suked out then hang for 24 hours before smoking for 12-18 hours.

I may try your idea on the next batch but I will need a bigger container to soak it in.

Won't need much. Even halfway up the fish then turn over before going to bed. Works for chicken breast as well.

windswept398

Old-Salt
Just read this whole thread. I now know what I want for Yule.
Now if only the fishing would pick up!

offog

LE
I like kippers but having a quick look at what needs to be done before smoking seems to be a job too far.

Salmon was going at £14 per K last week so I smoked two sides of that and have about 8 100g packs in the freezer now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fire-lighter RAC 229