Smokin'

At the Golden Ox, by any chance? Absolutely fabulous food at very cheap prices.

Golden Ox - Wikipedia

Looks like it closed a year ago, but is coming back, if the Internet is to be believed.
I believe it was called LC's. I will have to check :)

Blacks BBQ, Lockhart, Texas..............Fred Flintstone sized beef ribs. They call them short ribs.

Lockhart Menu - Blacks BBQ

Lockhart is considered the birthplace of BBQ, Austin is considered the Nouveau Capital of BBQ.

FYI: You buy BBQ by the pound, not by the plate.

There's a nouveau BBQ?
Nouveau capital. Smoking is smoking, even the newer electric smokers produce a mean piece of meat nowadays.

Lockhart is where the smokehouses for traditional meat preservation and sausage making sprang up originally in Tx, these sort of morphed into BBQ's [M]eataries. The original meat preservation, smoking and sausage making traces its methods and techniques back to the German settlers in Tx.

With the popularity of 'Q in Tx it moved to the city, Austin, which is more where the first of the modern style places sprang up. Now the more commercially minded ones in and around Austin are starting to open places in the Dallas and Houston area's.

One of the longer established one's is Salt Lick, located in Driftwood, Tx, south of Austin, out in the hill country ulu. They are incredibly popular and opened their second location just north of Austin, in Round Rock, where they had an exact duplicate of the original building put up to maintain the ambience. Either location is worth a look, ............ taste would be a better word than look. Salt Lick is in the top 50 'Q places according to Texas Monthly who produce the annual top ranking list - getting on the annual list in Texas Monthly is like receiving a Michelin star in the 'Q world.

====> Salt Lick BBQ – BARBECUE…LIKE NO OTHER!

I do like 'Q.

Oooop north, Baltimore, Maryland.

====> Welcome

Just now reminded this thread existed.
I seem to have inherited an barely used cold smoking cabinet & will have to see what make etc. & if there's any instructions lying around for it.

Anyone smokin today?

I've currently got some chicken, salmon, sausages, garlic bulbs, home grown chillis and a big fat rump steak on the go.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Lob a couple of aubergines in there with the garlic and make moutabal when you're done. Use instead of mayo on salads, sandwiches and so on.

Have you tried doing haddock in there? Should get a far smokier finish than the shop bought stuff. Definitely impress your man Chudleigh when he makes your kedgeree in the mornings.

Last edited:
Cannot get photo's to work , apologies .

The chicken was pretty good , a few problems though due to the shite Tesco charcoal i am still using up . Once the lid is put on the coals almost go out so the tempreture was really low . I gave it about 50 minutes of that then removed the lid and gave it some furious blowing to get it going again .

Then finished over glowing coals for 8 minutes or so each side to colour and crisp .

One thing i did over look which i heard about before is that the BBQ will absorb or mask alot of flavour so you really have to go mad with it . Will put much more spice on next time and earlier too .

Good enough for a cheap piece of chicken .

Going to get some more Yakitori sauce soon and do some chicken skewers as well as sping onion and leek ones , possibly my favourite charcoal grilled food . Also might try some fresh fish , i never really look at the fish counter but today quite large whole sea bass were only £2.50 so might have to give that a go .
Check online for satay recipes and throw together a few chicken satay skewers. They're generally pretty simple using peanut butter, soy sauce, crushed chili, garlic, ginger, palm sugar (or honey), peanut or sunflower oil and a pinch of ground cumin. Use very little sugar as it can get quite sticky and chars easily. Stick the chook skewers in that for an hour before going on the grill and do them over high heat for a minute or two a side.

Use the leftover satay sauce to make a relish by frying onions in a pan on the side of the grill, adding the sauce once cooked and allowing to simmer for a while.

Just because somebody outside of Texas invented a smarter way to do it is no reason to be settin' up a posse, marshal! ;-)

Someone's ntombezaan had a hoard of tea lights according to the How Bone Is Your Missus thread. This sounds like a good way to use them up.

A bit for improvisation. Close the BBQ lid to smoke, just prop it up a bit to control heat and smoke flow.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Got this as part of our wedding presents, which wood do you experts recommend and where from. I used it tonight as a normal BBQ, using the hinged shelf to cook the meat on as it was further away from the heat and the food was still quite moist.
I appreciate that it's only a small one, but there are only 2 of us and I plan to get smoking asap starting with a Sunday joint or chicken.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got this as part of our wedding presents, which wood do you experts recommend and where from. I used it tonight as a normal BBQ, using the hinged shelf to cook the meat on as it was further away from the heat and the food was still quite moist.
I appreciate that it's only a small one, but there are only 2 of us and I plan to get smoking asap starting with a Sunday joint or chicken.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Different smoke has different properties and different flavours. For example I find oak, any oak, imparts a bitterness. I'm a big fan of hickory or maple it's less bitter and (to me) tastes traditional on pork or beef. It also depends on what you're smoking. Lots of advice and supplies here

Barbecue Smokers, Charcoal BBQ and Electric Food Smokers

Deciding to do a small regular bbq, and sick of shit supermarket and diy store charcoal I ventured further a field to a garden centre five miles away. They had what looked like posh charcoal which I was dreading looking at the price but it was £7 for a bigger bag than the usual dross.

Olive branch company charcoal, It's great. No little chips of low heat stuff, It's lumps as big as your fist or bigger and pumps our plenty if heat and lights easy.

World if difference it's worth looking for.

offog

LE
It arrived this morning and has been on from 12 till about 2020.

Assembly and setup was simple and it started with no problems particularly after view some youtube info.

This is my first recce into this but it is something I have wanted to do for some time now. Have even looked at two day course at around £125.

The question is, now that I have smoked it will I survive the eating.

As this is a recce I am expecting the put down the cost of the food to training and feeding the local cats.

What I now need is some advice and experience from the collective. I have smoked some cheese, garlic and salmon. The cheese was cheap and I kept a small amount back as a control. It had turned a darker yellow and had a smoky look and taste, no problem so far although I am not overly keen on the oak taste.

The salmon was put in salt for twelve hours and came out a lot more firmer than it was to start with and had about an egg cup of liquid on the tray. It then went into the smoker and came out about the same condition but a darker colour. It was firm to cut and didn't flak and is, dry would be the wrong work but a lot less wet than the stuff you get in the shops. It is very salty to the taste and a bit bitter (did wash off the salt before it went in the the smoker).

So the question for the collective is, are the cats going to get a hearty meal or is this what I should expect but need to make some small alterations to the process.

I must say that I am very pleased with the smoker and its operation I just think it may have been operator error.

ugly

LE
I'd recommend simple stuff at first, try apple for smoking cheese and hot smoke sausages using hickory. You get used to the flavours. I never used salt on fish esp salmon, hot smoking dries it out enough. In fact cold smoking dehydrates most meats and fish.

Applewood is my go-to for most things. Don't know if you can get it in the UK, but pecan is good too.

Also, don't overlook just plain old charcoal. No additional flavors really needed, but apple certainly imparts a pleasant variation.

ugly

LE
I'd love to try pecan, you get a good mix with Bradleys but not seen pecan yet

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bump.

Just fired up the smoker. Had two half sides of salmon curing overnight, a beef joint with a Mexican rub, some BBQ pork belly, sausages and chicken breasts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fire-lighter RAC 229