Smokin'

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
5 hours in, I've turned the brisket and it's all good.

The firebox looks tidy and the salmon is curing nicely.

The salmon wants to be at quite a low temp, so I'm gonna add that at the end and smoke it slowly for tomorrow.

Also, you need a pirate sword BBQ tong in your life.

1. It looks cool.

2. The hand guard shields your hand from the heat.
IMG_9240.JPG
IMG_9241.JPG

philc

LE
Firstly a good dry rub is essential especially on ribs which are about the best thing with this type of cooking.

Secondly, pop over the border and purchase an old wooden barrel past it's useable date for whisky, break it up and use it for the smokey effect, it will save a few bob and last a life time.

Enjoy.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Firstly a good dry rub is essential especially on ribs which are about the best thing with this type of cooking.

Secondly, pop over the border and purchase an old wooden barrel past it's useable date for whisky, break it up and use it for the smokey effect, it will save a few bob and last a life time.

Enjoy.
I'd be interested to hear your experience on rubs.

There is quite the debate on whether brisket should have anything other than salt and pepper (Texas style apparently).

I'm trying the taco seasoning today and will let you know how things turned out.

My steaks last time just had salt and pepper and they were amazing.

Having to wait 4 hours for a sausage butty seems a bit extravagant.

Andreas_Wank

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you like a good kipper and ever visit Whitby, these are the best one`s in Whitby.

Alien.jpg

Fortunes have been going since 1872 and they obviously caught an Alien long before the poor sods on the mining ship Nostromo.

oops.

whitby-fortunes-shop-2949-large.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Having to wait 4 hours for a sausage butty seems a bit extravagant.
You can chuck a grill in the firebox and BBQ as normal if you're feeling impatient.

These sausages will be more like charcuterie when they're done. A few slices here and there. Definitely not going into hot dogs.

The brisket should last us a few days of good eating.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Clearly you people do not live near a Burger King. A double Wopper Cheseburger with fries and a Coke takes on average 7 minutes then you can crack on with interesting stuff.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Clearly you people do not live near a Burger King. A double Wopper Cheseburger with fries and a Coke takes on average 7 minutes then you can crack on with interesting stuff.
Drinking beer, in my garden, in the sun, smoking meat. Many many miles from any Muslims who want to kill me.

This is winning.

PFGEN

GCM
Used to go for lunch at a smoker while visiting Redstone Arsenal in Alabama. The meat was to die for and the queue of service personnel was at least an hour long. Although sides with some salad were available vegetabilsts were not welcome or catered for. Service was simple; meat, 1 to 3 types plus 2 sides in a plastic tray, plastic cutlery and a drink, pay up and eff off.

Pulled chicken here tonight.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The salmon is on now. This BBQ has a very well designed top grill that moves out of the way, but stays level, when you open the lid. Despite its fairly small size, you could smoke industrial quantities of meat in here if required.

Everything else looking good. Just added some more hickory chips. Temp has dropped to about 230f. Happy with that.

Final push now. I won't touch it for 2-3 hours by which time I expect everything to be done.

IMG_9246.JPG
IMG_9247.JPG
IMG_9248.JPG

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Drinking beer, in my garden, in the sun, smoking meat. Many many miles from any Muslims who want to kill me.

This is winning.
Shave your beard and come down the mountain. Here in civilisation we have fast food, expensive food, roads, cinemas, shops and all sorts. It will be an eye-opener for you. Smoking meat over a damp fire went out with my ancestor Jarl The Questionable Axe Chap.

Shave your beard and come down the mountain. Here in civilisation we have fast food, expensive food, roads, cinemas, shops and all sorts. It will be an eye-opener for you. Smoking meat over a damp fire went out with my ancestor Jarl The Questionable Axe Chap.
Jarl did it to survive. We do it for fun.

Those sausages look outstanding Ravers. A lot of food envy at the moment! Although the Mrs has just served up a rather nice leg of lamb and all the trimmings.

MB

A suggestion , put a tin under the meat with a little water in to catch the fat , stops it heating up and burning giving a nasty smell and taste .

philc

LE
I'd be interested to hear your experience on rubs.

There is quite the debate on whether brisket should have anything other than salt and pepper (Texas style apparently).

I'm trying the taco seasoning today and will let you know how things turned out.

My steaks last time just had salt and pepper and they were amazing.
I have used this site for inspiration, tasty and flavoursome ribs have always been to order if the day.

amazingribs.com

Watch some of the BBQ cook off,s on ytube. Next time I am states side I want to go to some of these compitician,s

Latest Threads