Smokin'

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did you brine the chook? They look very slightly overdone.
Nah, just straight in, no seasoning, nothing.

I wouldn’t want them any less done, they’d be raw in the middle.

Still very moist inside. I’d say these are close to perfect.

Nah, just straight in, no seasoning, nothing.

I wouldn’t want them any less done, they’d be raw in the middle.

Still very moist inside. I’d say these are close to perfect.
OK, fair enough. Chook breasts tend to dry out fairly quick and brining can add a little salt and sweetness/umami to things if done right. The slightly charred bits lead me to think they're a little drier than perfect.

Standard table salt, bit of sugar or molasses, drop of soy if you like, drop of malt vinegar. Play with the ratios till you find one you like. Bit of liquid smoke too if you want. It helps flavour a stir fry or pasta quite nicely if the chicken has a faint smokey flavour.

Thin slices dropped into the sauce or stir fry a minute or so before coming off the heat so they don't dry out.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Regarding salt, I was told never to use cheap granulated salt as it contains an anti caking agent which tastes bitter when smoked.

Proper coarse sea salt is what you need, or that pink Himalayan shit which is always cheap as **** at B&M.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some more spoils from the smokery.....

Chicken Caesar salad. I made a dressing with the smoked garlic, olive oil, lemon and mayo.
95C618C3-0698-4A07-ABE1-C5E4093D246F.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The way to go with the beef is thick slices, almost like steaks and then a quick blast in the griddle pan.

AEEC7D16-1622-4188-A883-6E3D5AC1FE3B.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I win at lunch by the way.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice bark on the beef! I smoke brisket, which is a lot thinner slab than that joint, and it cooks through with no need to griddle it. Smoked beef is lush.
I’ve done brisket a few times but fancied a change. This was very good.

Regarding salt, I was told never to use cheap granulated salt as it contains an anti caking agent which tastes bitter when smoked.

Proper coarse sea salt is what you need, or that pink Himalayan shit which is always cheap as **** at B&M.

Do B&M deliver hampers by their liveried vans to the Cumbrian aristos ?

Latest Threads