Smokes and booze in rations?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gook, Mar 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any countries still issue rations with fags in? All those WW2 films wouldnt be complete without Lee Marvin or whoever with a cigar in mouth, and a packet of Marlboros tucked into the helmet band was de rigeur in Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket et al...

Also is it true that Frenchies get a small bottle of wine in theirs and the Russkies get more than a wee nip of vodka? Or have I taken stereotypes too far...
  2. A friend of mine served in the FFL in the eighties. When in the field, they received wine on a daily basis, but it didnt come in bottles, rather, each soldier kept a seperate waterbottle which they filled up from some sort of bowser.
    It may sound good, but apparently, it was so rough that if you didnt drink the contents within 24hrs it would eat through your (plastic) waterbottle.
    Suddenly screech doesnt seem so bad. :D
  3. i'll swap you my gov-issue ration ciggies for your booze ration. seeing i dont smoke.
  4. When I was under sentence in the late 80`s we meaning SUS we were entitled to 2 smokes a day! I don’t know if it that was a regimental thing or army wide
  5. oh yes!! same in 70's, in the Motor Cycle Training College we got one after brekkie and one after tea toes had to be on the line, if they were not, you gave up your right for the privilege for not following orders correctly :roll:
  6. LOL I had my mattress removed as punishment, I got caught watching the guards telly :D
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Italian Ration Packs have a small bottle of 'Brandy' in them - it's certainly a Spirit, probably some sort of grappa. They also get cartons of red wine with meals, even on Ops.

Old style US Rations - K Rations - waaaay before MREs used to have a packet of 5 'Lucky Strike' in them.

Not sure about the French, but pretty sure that they still get some sort of wine issued. Likewise the Germans, I think they get a small dose of spirits in theirs.

Mind you, Italian 24 Packs are pretty vile, so the brandy is needed!
  8. I don't know about now, but way back when (late 70s) French one-man ration packs used to contain a sachet of pretty rough red wine and a pack of 20 non-tipped Gauloise - and not much else. On one Live Oak exercise, operating with the French unit, I was gripped by the Brit Inf CO to tell "the French troops to stop swapping their rat packs for compo." I bit my tongue before saying something along the lines of "You try it!"
  9. Fags and booze went about 20 years ago; they were replaced by more food. French 24 hrs rations deliver 3,200 calories and come in 14 menus. #1-7 are pork-less for moslems and operations in moslem countries.
    Wine is available but very few actually ask for it, not a matter of quality but a matter of habits as well as not wanting to spend the afternoon dozing off.
  10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

At least their food was ready to go on ops in Iraq, then...
  11. ...was useful in GW1 and is useful in Afghanistan as well as in relief Ops in moslem countries
  12. Supposedly some news agency tried to buy french rations for their teams as the journos thought them much better than mres.
    The french refused on the grounds that if the rations fell into iraq hands it might give the impression the french supported the war .
  13. No booze in the German rat packs anymore.

Can confirm that the Ities get wine with their meals on ops.

Spent a few months with them in Kosovo. Meals were cooked by the duty section and were uniformly gopping with the exception of once a week, fresh bread with cheese and Parma ham.

We used to fill our pockets with these little boxes of wine and have a piß up on the Friday night. The Italians then put an officer on the hotplate to make sure we only took one box per meal. Didnt work :D
  14. Swanning around Kosovo a few months ago I had a lunch at the Italian base overlooking Peja. There was excellent scran, two whole parmesan cheeses for you to hack at (each about 2 feet in diameter) and the best surprise was a chilled display cabinet: loads of soft drinks, but also an equal amount of beer (with and without alcohol) and about 50 bottles of very respectable wine.

Needless to say I did not achieve much that afternoon (so like any normal day with the UN), I simply sat outside their (also rather decent) cafe drinking coffee, watching the world go by.

Compare this to the septics at Bondsteel who would search our vehicles for any sign of alcohol.