Smokers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cyclic, Apr 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Infantry/Paras/RMs/Them , I`m interested in your views on smoking whilst serving , did/do you? ,did you have to give up to keep up? Ive seen both sides of the coin , guys who have never smoked but cant do run a few hundred yards without turning purple and guys who smoke 20 + a day and are near Olympic athlete standard runners.

2. 7 minutes 40 BFTs when I was in my late twenties chuffing 20 a day and drinking enough to embarrass a viking beserker. My knees, back, and ankles are completely fucked though.

My fastest BFT was when I was still hog-whimperingly drunk.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 20+ a day, BFT time -average between 9 and 9.30 minutes, half marathon time of 2hrs

4. ******* hell were you smoking speed??

None smoker best bft 8.40, half marathon 1hr 40mins. If I new I could have looked cool and smoked with ur times I would have!!

5. I used to do 3 miles in 18 1/2 mins while smoking 40 a day.

6. RezzaDue

RezzaDue Old-Salt Book Reviewer

F*ck, maybe i should start smoking !! Can do 3 miles in 19 min 04.

7. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

When I was in my 20s and smoking was cool and everyone thought you were hard as nails - I used to smash a BFT between 8.15 - 8.45

Fleet Half Marathon 1993 - in 1 hour 21 mins.

Once I turned 30 I started to pile on the weight so something had to give. I dieted, went to the gym in my own time - but by then a decade of abuse was starting to catch up on me.

So I ditched the fags. I'm now heavier than I'd like to be - although I'm not exactly into 'Meatloaf territory' yet. But hey, I don't wheeze any more and can smell everything. Which isn't always a good thing when you're in a confined space and someone has forgotten to use their squaddie shower that morning...

8. I did plenty of Marlboro...however when mixed with Venos cough medicine (which contained ephidrin in the late 80's) and 'DO DO' or chesteeze tablets which open the airways i could run for ever...and a lot easier than trying to hide a ventolin inhaler which you got off your civvy mates

9. Built like a racing snake back then, built for comfort not speed now though. I also found that going out and getting bladdered followed by loads of chinky food smothered in Monosodium Glutamate helped the following morning, crossing the line with my hand in my pocket taking out my fags used to piss some of the others off too ^^

10. Cigs or cocks ?

11. Yep running backwards whilst in the first two or three and sparking up really pisses off everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ****.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I personally think the BFT/PFT/BFA or whatever it is called today has always been a psychological thing. Ive seen fit-ish 18 year olds fail it while 40 year old WO's and LE's jog around quite happily and light up a tab as soon as they are finished. In 2005 prior to a TELIC tour even I, at 43 at the time, managed to finish in the top 10 of an ACFT and had to go back to 'jildy up' the new boys. Once these guys get over the fact that it's just a run they can often do it quite easily. There will always be fit smokers and unfit non smokers as well as pure out and wasters who may as well not even bother to turn up for the test as there is no way on earth they are going to finish it in time!

14. Smoking doesn't affect your cardiovascular fitness too much when young and keeping on top of your fitness. It's when you do fuckall and/or when you've been smoking for decades is when it affects you more. Obviously it's better not to smoke at all but my times never 'went through the roof' on cessation of smoking and I've given up quite a few times.

I've given up giving up now though.

15. Were the fittest guys in your mob smokers?